advertisement

Artists and records you just can't listen to anymore

I was once one of those goths that hung around Camden Market looking out Bauhaus vinyl.
It hasn't aged well.
For probably the biggest and most important bands of this type of that era, their invisibility now is quite remarkable. Completely forgotten and never mentioned anywhere.
I did dip into it again a couple of years ago, and after probably 3 minutes of surfing I was done.

I have a problem with 10cc now. This is quite a surprise as they were once one of my favorite bands.

Stick on "Wall Street Shuffle". Loud. It still sounds good and the sentiment is spot on.

I'd say they went downhill after Godley and Creme left. But "Sheet Music" (in parts) and the "Original Soundtrack" still work for me.

I was once one of those goths that hung around Camden Market looking out Bauhaus vinyl.
It hasn't aged well.
For probably the biggest and most important bands of this type of that era, their invisibility now is quite remarkable. Completely forgotten and never mentioned anywhere.
I did dip into it again a couple of years ago, and after probably 3 minutes of surfing I was done.
Their best track was 'Rosegarden Funeral of Sores' which was a John Cale cover anyway.

Stick on "Wall Street Shuffle". Loud. It still sounds good and the sentiment is spot on.

I'd say they went downhill after Godley and Creme left. But "Sheet Music" (in parts) and the "Original Soundtrack" still work for me.

Didn't know that Godley and Creme had left! Loved them live back in the 70's. Bought the single by Hotlegs. I must turn up the wick a bit and give them another go.

I always had a nagging feeling when I was 15 that Bauhaus were, in fact, pretentious rubbish. Now I know I'm right (apart from Bela Lugosi, obv)

The other band from my youth who I find spectacularly awful are Killing Joke.

Muse - bloated stadium, corporate, 'alternative' crap.

Oh, and while we're at it, the Foo Fighters' entire output should really consist of just one song, but they've managed to stretch it to cover several albums.

Didn't know that Godley and Creme had left! Loved them live back in the 70's. Bought the single by Hotlegs. I must turn up the wick a bit and give them another go.

Bob- There's a great 2CD compilation called 'The Complete UK Years' which takes in the first two albums as well as B sides etc that's well worth having, bonus being the sound quality is good too.

A lot of the post Godley and Creme albums I rate as well:- "Bloody Tourists", "How Dare You" and the elusive "Ten Out Of Ten" all have their moments tbh.

Godley & Creme were still in the band for "How dare you", also why is Ten out of ten elusive? Plenty of copies around. Great band though.

Godley & Creme were still in the band for "How dare you", also why is Ten out of ten elusive? Plenty of copies around. Great band though.

Quite right re:HDY...sorry.

Btw I was referring to the UK CD version of 'Ten Out Of Ten' as being elusive- That's the version with 'Survivor' as the last track....It sounds like you are talking about the shitty UK 1980/81 Mercury vinyl copy that started to develop 'Rice Krispies' after 3 or 4 playings- Plenty of those about of course but the CD sounds better to my ears.

Excellent stuff I'm reading here! This really helps me to sort out my record collection. Is there any Jazz you dislike?

Oh, and while we're at it, the Foo Fighters' entire output should really consist of just one song, but they've managed to stretch it to cover several albums.

Luckily Dave Grohl is back at the drum kit with Them Crooked Vultures nowadays.

Costello. I've got every vinyl LP up to 'Mighty like a Rose' including the original Macumbo live bootleg and the sessions he did to audition for the Rumour, a gig that Graham Parker got. Can't understand it, I enjoy it when he's on the radio but put it on at home I can not. My best guess is I twigged he is an actor albeit rather a good one.

Sandie Shaw was on Radio 4 ths morning is it. She has done with the music, and retrained as a psychotherapist

I hope she doesn't take patients with sexual dysfunctions.

eps4-pop-sandie-shaw.jpg

advertisement

Back