advertisement

Artists and records you just can't listen to anymore

Klyde

pfm Member
I sell about the same amount of records as I buy (well, slightly less so that my collection is growing slowly). Some records I just can't listen to any more. Yes, I'm getting older and yes a lot of early eighties stuff was really bad, wasn't it.

First one for the second hand shop:
Tuxedomoon - Desire (1981)

Have fun!

Klyde

Eh? Tuxedomoon are still OK there is it, Half Mute is better, but Desire is not that bad.

But to get into the spirit of it, I am very infrequently drawn these days to Saxon, apart from 'Wheels of Steel' of course.

DS

I don't think I could ever sit through "Dark Side of the Moon" or "The Wall" again. Well I never liked "The Wall" but "Dark Side" is just permanently overplayed. I have no problems with early Pink Floyd.

A couple of artists I once liked but could never endure again are Yes and Supertramp.

I don't think I could ever sit through "Dark Side of the Moon" or "The Wall" again. Well I never liked "The Wall" but "Dark Side" is just permanently overplayed. I have no problems with early Pink Floyd.

A couple of artists I once liked but could never endure again are Yes and Supertramp.

Crime of the century, isn't it ?

I can still listen to some Yes (the best bits).

I couldn't stand Dark Side of the Moon, even when it came out.

Anything by Jethro Tull, most of Eric Clapton, rod Stewart, Elton John.

OTOH, I love Sinatra now, but you can imagine what I felt about him, when I was a teenager.

OTOH, I love Sinatra now, but you can imagine what I felt about him, when I was a teenager.

I rember how we young and cool r&r lads dreaded hearing 'My Way' about three or five times each day on the radio. As you said, love him now.

After the 1995 huge Beatles TV-series I couldn't listen to them for several years. Just overload.

JohanR

Too many to mention, and Supertramp are one of them. I used to love them and thought it would be good to hear them again, but I just found it very irritating. Especially that bloke with the big glasses. Everything he contributed just sounded irrelevant and intrusive, but that was probably more to do with the production and the era than him personally.
10cc also just sound so aloof.

On the other hand, there are lots of bands that I couldn't listen to before that I can now, so I guess it all balances out in the end. Playing David Sylvian's Gone To Earth right now and it is far more relevant and in tune with now than ever before. It just keeps growing still, even after all these years. Before The Bullfight on now, and even though I've heard it so many many times before, it's as overwhelmingly beautiful as the first time I heard it. Extraordinary.
Yeah, it goes both ways.

From the days of being in Hi-Fi retail, it's the albums that were the shop demo discs and just so happened to be the same albums that customers brought in to demo kit to, so they got overplayed to the point of torture:

Crowded House - Woodface
Sting - Ten Summoners Tales
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat
Michael Jackson - Dangerous
The Eagles - Hell Freezes over (even more so as it was coming out of the A/V demo room as well as the hi-fi one).

I could never listen to those awful 80s reverb-soaked demo records in the first place;
The Blue Nile, Duritti Column, Dire Straits, Antonio Forcione and all those others that only sound like a hotel room at a hi-fi show. (shudder. Seems to be synonymous with bald middle-aged men in folkloric caps)

The Blue Nile, Duritti Column, Dire Straits, Antonio Forcione and all those others that only sound like a hotel room at a hi-fi show. (shudder. Seems to be synonymous with bald middle-aged men in folkloric caps)

I'm really surprised you stick Durutti Column in that list, I've never seen a single copy of any album in a hi-fi shop or show. LC is one of my favourite albums and to my ears 17 million miles away from Dire Straits (whom I've always detested). I have to admit I like the first two Blue Nile albums though.

Tony.

I'm really surprised you stick Durutti Column in that list, I've never seen a single copy of any album in a hi-fi shop or show. LC is one of my favourite albums and to my ears 17 million miles away from Dire Straits (whom I've always detested). I have to admit I like the first two Blue Nile albums though.

Tony.

I agree about both Durutti Column and Blue Nile....Come on how can you not like "Portrait For Fraser" or "I Love This Life" ? - Blue Nile were only regarded initially as hi-fi because Linn released "...Rooftops".

Agree totally with Tony on this.

Or Echospace / Basic Channel / Maurizo / Deepchord / Wax with the 'verb off is it.

Bring on the 'verb, we like it there.

DS

On the other hand, there are lots of bands that I couldn't listen to before that I can now, so I guess it all balances out in the end. Playing David Sylvian's Gone To Earth right now and it is far more relevant and in tune with now than ever before.

Gone to Earth has been one of my favourite LPs since I bought it when it originally came out. David Sylvian has such a great voice, and I love his brother Steve Jansen's percussion.

But then I like Crime of the Century and Crisis, What Crisis? too ... and Dark Side of the Moon.

... but I've never really liked The Nightfly.

I really OD'd on Hawkwind at one point. I now regard their post 1979 output as acutely embarrassing, but even some of the earlier stuff now just has nothing left to give*.

*Obviously Space Ritual has a get out of jail free card.

For me, it's Eurythmics, which is odd because all the albums are generally pretty good. Maybe it's something to do with the way Annie's vocals are so similar and on a level, thus lacking in commitment. I wish I could get over it, really. I know they are good guys.

palp

Anything by Sandie Shaw, she dosen't sing, she talks to a tune. How the hell she ever sold any records will go down as one of lifes mysteries.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom