advertisement

arcam assistance , "there's anybody out there"?!

sergiox

pfm Member
hello everybody, 2 days ago my arcam udp411 br player didnt lit anymore, you push on the power on button and nothing happens, after one year since the purchase, ive registered before the product, from what i know theres a coverage of warranty for 5 years, and i fill the form on line to have assistance for repairing the item , but after 2 days nobody wrote or called me, i have purchased the player NEW from a ebay seller who owned a electronic shop in london , which was on the point of closing, now i have this brick and i dont know how to use my warranty right, somebody of you can help me, maybe in your experience you faced a kafkian situation like this, thanks in advance, cheers
s.

A wait of 2 days dor a response from a manufacturer isn't that long. If it's urgent just pick up the 'phone to Arcam.

Your legal rights are with your retailer, not Arcam. If they've closed and you paid all or part on a crefit card, then that credit card company is obliged to fulfill the contract in the absence of the retailer.

Having said that, I expect Arcam will sort this for you.

Contact the seller if you can. That’s who your contract is with.
Arcam, like a lot of companies are probably working with a much reduced manpower, so everything is taking longer to process.
Arcam now work on a fixed price repair cost for out of warranty stuff. Either way you will have to take back to the seller it in it’s original box to be sent back to Arcam, if it can’t be fixed with a software update or reset procedure.
If it’s in warranty & the seller isn’t helping you could probably take it to another Arcam dealer for them to return to Arcam for investigation/repair.
Was the seller an authorised Arcam dealer? Doesn’t sound like it from your description.

Contact the seller if you can. That’s who your contract is with.
Arcam, like a lot of companies are probably working with a much reduced manpower, so everything is taking longer to process.
Arcam now work on a fixed price repair cost for out of warranty stuff. Either way you will have to take back to the seller it in it’s original box to be sent back to Arcam, if it can’t be fixed with a software update or reset procedure.
If it’s in warranty & the seller isn’t helping you could probably take it to another Arcam dealer for them to return to Arcam for investigation/repair.
Was the seller an authorised Arcam dealer? Doesn’t sound like it from your description.
Reads like the shop went bust or closed down, likely offloading stock on eBay.

Agreed.
Pretty sure Arcam don’t Usually deal direct with the public, (that’s what dealers are for after all),
So unless it’s a simple reset fix (unlikely I think) it would have to go back to Arcam via another dealer who may charge a handling fee?

There was a time when I ordered parts directly from Arcam – much as Quad still does today.
Trouble is, they have produced too many products with a relatively short life span, unlike Quad.

hello guys, first of all, thanks for your answers, i would like to add something: i live in italy, milan, i ve purchased the item via ebay, the seller didnt give me any receipt i have just the ebay receipt of what ive purchased and from what ebay seller, i have tried to write to the seller asking what was the physical name of his shop (i remember was part of a shop chain) (closed now and on the point of closing when i bought the player) , but i have his name and his uk phone number and the name of the company that seems still active, ive wrote to arcam uk and arcam rest of the world filling their on line form, they gave me yesterday (automatic mail) a case number but i have no news, this just to be more clear, thanks
cheers
sergio

They’ll get back to you if you have a case number but as already stated you may need to wait some time if they are working short staffed due to Coronavirus.

hello, everybody, arcam replied:
"

Hello Sergio,

Thank you for contacting Arcam support,

I'm sorry to hear your UPD411 is not working as it should. The normal process for repair would be to return the product to the dealer it was purchased from, the dealer will then raise the issue on our online dealer support page. If you have purchased this UDP411 from a company that purchased it from one of our dealers, technically this would be classed as secondhand and have no Arcam warranty attached.

However, the person you have purchased it from may be willing to honer the warranty if applicable. please contact the seller to see how they stand on this matter.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Field Support Engineer,
Harman Luxury Audio,
Arcam, JBL Synthesis, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Revel

Stirling House,
Waterbeach
Cambs
CB25 9PB, UK
Phone: +44 (0)1223 203200
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.arcam.co.uk£

the problem now is that i ve tried to contact the seller, but no reply at all , it wasn t second hand , furthermore the seller wrote that was covered with warranty !

the name of the seller is Anthony Biffa, ebay seller name is smartspaceautomation and the company is FAIRSTERN LIMITED , ive also his number but he doesnt answer...maybe with a italian number caller he think is a scam , anyway his number is (or was) 44 330 133 3000 , his page on facebook disappeared
if you google that number it appears "

Smart Space Automation - About | Facebook
www.facebook.com › about

- Traduci questa pagina
... years of combined experience and we guarantee to make sure the Smart Home you want is the Smart Home you get. CONTACT INFO. Call +44 330 133 3000."

its not fantastic to have spent one year ago a certain sum of money for a br player and have a useless brick...

What do you expect us to do about it publishing all that personal info?
Arcam have said if it wasn’t bought from a dealer it’s second hand as far as they are concerned and not under warranty whatever the seller told you and Smart Space Automation doesn’t sound like a hi fi dealer does it?

What do you expect us to do about it publishing all that personal info?
Arcam have said if it wasn’t bought from a dealer it’s second hand as far as they are concerned and not under warranty whatever the seller told you and Smart Space Automation doesn’t sound like a hi fi dealer does it?
dear bob, as i wrote before mr biffa owned a shop of a chain of hifi shop, whose name i dont remember at the moment, but was a famous brand in uk ...smartspace automation is the name as ebay seller of course the shop had a different name.

Yep sadly for you, I have to agree with Bob on this.
It’s really the dealer who’s no longer selling ( at least under his old trading name) where the issue is.
I’ve not heard of either Anthony Biffa Nor smart space automation before.
It may be very difficult for you to get a resolution you will be satisfied with.
Are there any repair guys local to you who could look at it? That may be the only way forwards.

A quick search on the name would have given you who that retailer might have been, unless of course there are two men of that name in hifi retail.

This is the risk you take buying from unauthorised sellers in a marketplace. You might have been told there was a warranty but a bloke in a market will tell you stuff that isn't true to make a sale. Caveat emptor and all that.

I would get back in touch with Arcam and ask them for the nearest officially authorised Arcam repair centre or the closest dealer to your location/country.

Unfortunately I think you will probably end up with a repair bill, but may get some help with any parts if you explain the situation, that's where visiting a local dealer might be worthwhile, often better results are obtained in person rather than by phone/email.

there are so many misrepresentations on ebay , and not easy to report either . the other day someone put some as unused and you could see the thing was s/h

hopefully arcam will sort and it won`t be a useless brick !!!

they make some superb stuff which lasts for many years

It's not entirety clear, but reading the above It seems to me that Sergiox has inadvertently bought his Arcam product from an unauthorised dealer who has subsequently gone bust? I think this is what I am reading. If this is indeed the case the fact remains that sergiox is in possession of a device that has failed within its warranty period. If this is in fact the case then I would be extremely disappointed if Arcam refused to take ownership of the situation & honour the warranty. After all it is neither the OPs or the dealers fault that the device has broken down. After experiencing superb customer service in the recent past from both Rega & Exposure I will be interested to see how Arcam handle this.
TS

It's not entirety clear, but reading the above It seems to me that Sergiox has inadvertently bought his Arcam product from an unauthorised dealer who has subsequently gone bust? I think this is what I am reading. If this is indeed the case the fact remains that sergiox is in possession of a device that has failed within its warranty period. If this is in fact the case then I would be extremely disappointed if Arcam refused to take ownership of the situation & honour the warranty. After all it is neither the OPs or the dealers fault that the device has broken down. After experiencing superb customer service in the recent past from both Rega & Exposure I will be interested to see how Arcam handle this.
TS

How do you know that this is within warranty? Just because a random, unauthorised, seller says it is so doesn't necessarily make it so.

if people want to benefit from a manufacturer's warranty then purchases should be made from an authorised retailer, or buy an item that has a transferable warranty along with proof of purchase.

For all we know, this may have been an old, used item, dressed up by the seller and described as ex dem, or whatever. Ebay is rife with listings stating this or that warranty, ex dem, et al. These sellers should always be questioned as to their status as an authorised retailer or not and provide details of just how any warranty repair would be handled. If it's claimed that the manufacturer will honour directly, then check that with the manufacturer.

We all like a bargain, but it pays to be cautious.

TS
presumably Arcam warranties are not transferable beyond the first buyer and this is why as far as Arcam’s response was concerned it was second hand and thus has no warranty.

advertisement

Back