advertisement

Anyone tempted by the 50th DSOTM UV printed double Lp?

The clear vinyl is in short supply, I believe. I'm not tempted myself.
You’re right, I’m not going to get sucked in. Especially as it's the BG cut and not supposed to be very good.

I'll stick with these cd's that are my favourite, 1st press pre-emphasis copy and Toshiba Black Triangle that is my favourite out of the two!

pefbZMl.jpeg

I think is looks really good actually but wonder about the sq? For £57 I’m tempted just for the sake of it.

Plus £5 delivery. I guess it's the cheapest I've seen by a few quid.

I'd jump if it were cheaper. Until then I will ponder for a while since I have a vinyl MOFI copy of this album. Does look cool though.

I think a few of us pre ordered it after some discussion on the 50th thread here

Mine arrived yesterday but I haven't opened it yet, still available so don't think it will sell out or become particularly rare.

I looked at it and thought it looked only slightly cool - there's only so much you can do with that iconic imagery.
When it was released in the Immersion box set in quad/5.1 I bought it an invested in a surround sound system.
That was a pricey business matching a pair of expensive front speakers with rear equivalents (particulary required for quad according to what I read) but I found out not too necessary.

I found out the quad/multi channel mixes added so much to the sound quality and entertainment value that I was blown away!
Wish You Were Here was/is also stellar.
I then obtained the surround mix of Tubular Bells and was again knocked over as it was designed as a 4 channel mix.
What I knew from my youth as a rather duff sound sprang to life - no longer were all those instruments mixed down to two channels but came to life in 4 channels. Wow!

On DSOTM there's a section where someone is running between the two stereo speakers (in a train station or airport?).
In the surround version, he's running in circles round the room.

I managed to source around 200-300 digitised quad albums but mostly obscure.
There's a few more Floyd albums but there's theres also |Fleetwood Mac Rumours - and - the original ELO album which is also unexpectingly stunning.
Unfortunately, I no longer have the space and money to justify two separate systems, but they should be on your bucket list for those albums.

I looked at it and thought it looked only slightly cool - there's only so much you can do with that iconic imagery.
When it was released in the Immersion box set in quad/5.1 I bought it an invested in a surround sound system.
That was a pricey business matching a pair of expensive front speakers with rear equivalents (particulary required for quad according to what I read) but I found out not too necessary.

I found out the quad/multi channel mixes added so much to the sound quality and entertainment value that I was blown away!
Wish You Were Here was/is also stellar.
I then obtained the surround mix of Tubular Bells and was again knocked over as it was designed as a 4 channel mix.
What I knew from my youth as a rather duff sound sprang to life - no longer were all those instruments mixed down to two channels but came to life in 4 channels. Wow!

On DSOTM there's a section where someone is running between the two stereo speakers (in a train station or airport?).
In the surround version, he's running in circles round the room.

I managed to source around 200-300 digitised quad albums but mostly obscure.
There's a few more Floyd albums but there's theres also |Fleetwood Mac Rumours - and - the original ELO album which is also unexpectingly stunning.
Unfortunately, I no longer have the space and money to justify two separate systems, but they should be on your bucket list for those albums.
I've got a Mac Mini to play the surround sound flac's but it always confused me.
I normally liked to listen after some wine and some times it would work and sometimes not - my wife was convinced I was drunk.
It also varied from the player to player (VLC, Kodi then onto further obscure players.

However, I later found an article that stated there was a problem with the Mac that required some command line stuff to correct.
I'm pretty sure the Mac got it's knickers in a twist incorrectly labeling the channel identifiers.
After that, everything worked perfectly!
That was a Mac Mini 2014, which still had the TOSLINK but I was using HDMI.
I'm now back to stereo on a M1 mini so I'm not sure if it's still a problem.
Unfortunately, I can't find the link.

advertisement

Back