advertisement

Anybody going to Sound and Vision Bristol?

Yes it is. I was actually looking for another driver :) If you fancy driving down to Bristol I'd be happy driving back up as I don't drink. Don't fancy driving for 6 hours but 3 hours each sharing a car would be good.

I usually go to these things with friends (si and Dave), but if they bail and/or there is a free seat I’ll let you know.

You've all got this wrong...

It's a Hi Fi show. You will learn nothing about the real sound of hi-fi kit.

It's just a day out.

Meet your friends. Have a drink. Maybe even speak to the manufacturer of your favourite kit. But do not, under any circumstances, expect to hear good hi-fi!!

If it sounds good in a hotel room.. chances are it will sound shit in your system.

Have you ever been to an Airshow?

Did you see the assorted exhibits actually fight to the death?

What Mullardman says.
I might have hit on a bad one but two years ago it was awful - busier than a bad airport. The Naim thing was running late so they had us all queuing in a very cold service area, so I baled out of that and went to listen to Chord amps. I’m sure they can’t sound that bad at home. All food and drink places rammed such that you couldn’t get served immediately and they didn’t have the staff to clear away properly. Fortunately we’d included the show in a couples weekend to the area. The girls got the best deal at a nearby Jane Austen experience. I finally persuaded Steve and David that we should go to a pub.
Got a couple of decent, cheap LPs, though.

Yes and for the first time since the late 1980’s!

Coming down from York to attend on Friday to check out some Record Cleaning Machines.

Richard

Yes and for the first time since the late 1980’s!

Coming down from York to attend on Friday to check out some Record Cleaning Machines.

Richard
How are you getting down Richard? I hadn't really thought about it, but this thread has got me thinking! By your username on here you're about 4 miles from me...

You've all got this wrong...

It's a Hi Fi show. You will learn nothing about the real sound of hi-fi kit.

Don't agree.

I've been to many shows in Bristol and the London area, and usually come away with 3 or 4 clear ideas about specific products, whether it's a turntable that sounds 'right', an amp that's sweet and powerful enough, or speakers which boom or tizz (no names...). You have the rooms where you just want to spend hours listening to music (Proac, Michell), and others which you leave 30 seconds after entering.

Advice to Bristol newbies - go to the top and work downwards. If you go straight to the basement from the coat deposit desk, you waste about 2 hours looking and not listening (racks, cables, records, etc).

Ptah... I was jesting... Well... a bit...

P.S. Just looked at the website. I get in a bit cheaper because I'm old... That'll annoy the 'yoof'..

Don't agree.

I've been to many shows in Bristol and the London area, and usually come away with 3 or 4 clear ideas about specific products, whether it's a turntable that sounds 'right', an amp that's sweet and powerful enough, or speakers which boom or tizz (no names...). You have the rooms where you just want to spend hours listening to music (Proac, Michell), and others which you leave 30 seconds after entering.

Advice to Bristol newbies - go to the top and work downwards. If you go straight to the basement from the coat deposit desk, you waste about 2 hours looking and not listening (racks, cables, records, etc).

How are you getting down Richard? I hadn't really thought about it, but this thread has got me thinking! By your username on here you're about 4 miles from me...

Hi,
I am going down by train and already have my tickets booked.
I guess you live somewhere around Pock?
Richard

Hi,
I am going down by train and already have my tickets booked.
I guess you live somewhere around Pock?
Richard
Oh well, another year we should arange a car pool! I used to live in Pock, my parents still do. I'm near Newton these days. I wonder if we've ever run into one another at Fangfest or in the Carpenters Arms etc. etc.? We need little PFM pins or rings so we can spot one another like the Masons :D

Hoping to hear the new Proac DT8 ('affordable floorstander') . Do these replace the Studio 148?
The Acoustic Energy room usually sounds good, though I've never bought any. Everyone packs into the Kef room on the bottom floor... maybe avoid this year.

just found out that the new RAM speakers will be in room 430 with the ram studio 30 and Ls3/5a speakers . looking forward to hearing both

Just on train out of Bressol.. It was ok. Got to speak to the very helpful team from Mitchell but as usual heard little to really inspire. It is really best seen as a social day out.

advertisement

Back