advertisement

Another problem for Boeing 737 Max

Astonishing. How that one got down safely is beyond me. Was anyone sitting in the seat next to the missing panel?

Time both Boeing and 'the authorities' stopped ****ing about and discontinued the 737.
Nothing wrong with previous iterations.

Jet 2 bought a load of the previous one when the max was launched.
Fault free so far.

Astonishing. How that one got down safely is beyond me. Was anyone sitting in the seat next to the missing panel?

Evan Smith, one of the 171 passengers on board, said: "There was a really loud bang towards the left rear of the plane and a woosh noise - and all the air masks dropped.

"They said there was a kid in that row who had his shirt was sucked off him and out of the plane and his mother was holding onto him to make sure he didn't go with it."

Very fortunate they were at 16k feet and not much higher or the result might have been far worse.

Reactions: PsB
It looks as if the part that blew away was an unused/disactivated emergency exit door. Could be a service issue at Alaska Airlines or an assembly issue at Boeing rather than something more structural. Could be nothing much to do with the Max 9 design.

I think the safety door locations are optional/customised depending on the airlines requirements, so it may be a blanking panel on the outside of the fuselage. Based on the age of the MAX, I doubt that the structural integrity of this panel would have yet be scheduled for inspection, until now.

Everybody survived, so good news. However, altitude and location played a major part in the outcome.

Good afternoon all,

Whilst not quite the same thing but after two disastrous helicopter crashes in the North Sea the Super Puma was effectively banned from the North Sea and been replaced by the S-92.

Apparently different rules apply in wider civil aviation - nothing to do with how much money is on the line of course.

Regards

Richard

Good afternoon all,

Whilst not quite the same thing but after two disastrous helicopter crashes in the North Sea the Super Puma was effectively banned from the North Sea and been replaced by the S-92.

Apparently different rules apply in wider civil aviation - nothing to do with how much money is on the line of course.

Regards

Richard
That’s a bit silly. The North Sea heli ops are also civil aviation. There are international ICAO rules to follow, it’s not like every country gets to make up its own standards, and even if it were, this is a US airline. Not some tin pot third world banana republic.

That’s a bit silly. The North Sea heli ops are also civil aviation.
OK. The Super Puma was initially grounded throughout Europe and then the FAA also grounded them.

Technically the CAA have indeed lifted the grounding order.

Statoil refused to have them fly workers offshore and, I believe, operators this side of the North Sea, followed suit.

None have flown in the North Sea since the Norwegian incident.

Regards

Richard

No way I'd fly on a 737 max after the two crashes prior to this even after it's redesign. This near disaster should be the end of this cursed plane now surely. Boeing are clearly now incompetent in their safety standards, or designing.

As a passenger when booking a ticket, do you have any indication of what plane you'll be flying on? I last flew before 9/11 so have no idea nowadays.

Capt

Yes, the aircraft type is normally clear when booking, although it may not go into granular detail such as Max 7, 8 or 9, or NEO / CEO for Airbus. Flight Radar 24 can give more details on their schedules, usually giving the MSN although these can be subject to change depending on circumstance.

Time both Boeing and 'the authorities' stopped ****ing about and discontinued the 737.
Out of about 1,400 737 Max aircraft, two have crashed, one has had this happen.

The two crashes were properly investigated, eventually, and there haven’t been any concerns since.

This latest incident may well be a one off. We won’t know until the investigation makes its findings known.

Don’t like it? Don’t fly.

Last edited:
I believe the only UK airlines flying 737 Max's are Ryanair and TUI. Of course other carriers may fly them to and from the UK.

There was a long informative book review on Mastodon today about American business' attitude towards "accidents". The 737 Max is aeronautically unstable and has a system called MCAS which attempts to compensate for this. MCAS is unreliable. Extract here,

"To review: Boeing built a plane that was difficult to fly, then added software that autocorrects these difficulties, but decided that if that software fails, the pilot should save the day by figuring out how to fly the difficult-to-fly plane."
They didn't even tell the pilots about the software.
The pilot of the first crashed 737 Max spent his final minutes "paging through the pilot manual, trying to determine what was going wrong. This was futile; any mention of MCAS had been removed."

MCAS is fundamental to the airworthiness of a 737 Max, pilots were not trained on it or even informed of it's existence. Let that sink in.

No way I'd fly on a 737 max after the two crashes prior to this even after it's redesign. This near disaster should be the end of this cursed plane now surely. Boeing are clearly now incompetent in their safety standards, or designing.

As a passenger when booking a ticket, do you have any indication of what plane you'll be flying on? I last flew before 9/11 so have no idea nowadays.

Capt

I won’t fly airlines that use 737 MAXs but the last two times I flew this year Easyjet, who only fly Airbus, changed the plane on the return flight. I doubt I could have done anything about it if I had concerns.

You won’t know with Ryanair.
They had theirs “rebranded” with a different nose tag.

advertisement

Back