advertisement

Amplifier with dac

Conan

Loop digger
I just sold my Naim Unitiqute as I was not happy with the sound quality. I currently have a Nait 2 which I much prefer however I am looking for an amplifier with dac and remote control to replace the Unitiqute.
Not only it must sound good but I also take aesthetics in consideration so no massive jap amps (I also have one of those).
What are the options?

What's your budget? Hegel has a few options starting with the new H90 model at £1,500. Hegel's integrated amps all feature a very clean aesthetic. If you are looking for a half-width component then the Exposure XM5 is excellent value at £1,236. Both options include asynchronous USB as well as optical and coaxial S/PDIF inputs. Hegel's integrated amplifiers also include built-in streaming.

How about Heed Audio, the Elixir amp and Dactilus although may well fit the bill. Although two boxes, they’re very compact and they’re very elegant looking too... performance isn’t too shabby either. Or How about Rega’s Alternatives? You should pop yourself down to Sound Cinergy (no affiliation) for a look/listen.

I had many amplifiers including Rega, Naim XS, Exposure XXV and I always end going back to the little Nait 2. I don't listen to music at loud volume and the little Nait 2 suits my needs. Problem is that I also use it for TV and there is no remote control. Maybe a dac with remote would fit the bill?

I have a remote controlled Heed Obelisk w/dactilus card for sale

Nothing wrong with looks or performance, it might even better a Nait 2

Possibly yes, I don’t know what’s out there at sensible money though short of trawling through eBay... and on that note, something like this might work. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=152745564979

Or an inexpensive remote controlled preamp to sit between your existing dac and your Nait, I picked up a Myryad z40 headphone amp/pre for Perflemming earlier this week and shipped it out to him yesterday, I didn’t unbox it because it wasn’t mine but even from lifting the box, it was evident that it had some real heft for a small box and was clearly a well built product. It doesn’t include a remote but will work with any Philips RC5 unit, Peter Tyson have them for £99 and that would add remote volume control to your current setup.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
And how’s that for a coincidence, Per posted whilst I was writing my post!

I’d definitely consider Per’s offer, he’s a good guy to deal with and the Heed products are very nice indeed. It’s an all in one solution that has a very similar footprint to your Nait.

I have a Peachtree decco, which replaced a Naim 32.5/110 combo. The Peachtree is the best integrated I've owned. The built in DAC works well with my CD player and Audioengine Bluetooth receiver, Raspberry Pi is great via line in too.

Densen is svelte, Naim-like in sound and have a range of integrated amps to which a DAC board can be added.

SH Supernait ?

I can understand. Now, for the second time in my long hifi history after trying numberless integrated and pre/power combinations i am listening again with Nait 2 ...

Many people slate the little Nait 2 but this is the amplifier that gives me more joy regardless of what speakers I throw at it.

The NAIT2 made me realise how expensive 52/135s are in the pursuit of the musical grail. It gives 95% of the latter's performance at a sliver of their price.

I would look to Teddy Pardo's offerings .... you will find him an excellent chap to deal with. It does take some time for the product to bed in ... discuss it with him. Quality, Service, Reliability & Customer Service all in one package

Primare are great imho.
Got av great deal on i32 with MM30 board, which gives it same functionality pretty much as Uniqute but at full width and no headphones out.
Beats the new Naim all-in-one into a cocked hat. Including the top one.
Not heard new Primare units yet.
Moon may also be an option, although I personally found it to lack a bit of engagement.

I'm currently using a JVC AX 1010.
It is truly amazing.
It has dac, remote control, power and it controls my Royd Merlin speakers. Sound is powerful and tight. It is all I need, except it is huge and does not fit on my tv rack. How much would I have to spend to get the same performance from a more up to date product?

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom