advertisement

Amplifier with dac

I had great results with a Gato DIA250 driving a pair of ART Alnico 8s. The Gato is an excellent amp, and despite being a 250W per channel class D design, is a really subtle performer. Nice taught bass without an ounce of flab, no sheen or overhang on the high frequencies and really excellent soundstaging. The DAC is really very good too. There are usually copies to be had second hand. The DIA400 is excellent too, but I'm not sure I can ever see myself needing 400W per channel.

OP, not sure what your budget is, nor what speakers you are using, but for a relatively inexpensive system, using fairly efficient speakers, I'd say the NuForce DDA120 might be worth considering. I have one doing duties for the TV and DVD, via a pair of Focal Domes (which are very small, and not all that efficient). Unobtrusive to the point of near-invisibility, but excellent SQ and enough welly for the purpose. Not ideal if you're a metalhead, perhaps, as the 50W output is not as grunty as 50 Class A watts would be, for example.

If a Nait 2 is reference basic, I'd hardly think a class D amp will do it

Perhaps get a little dac to hide behind the shelf/amp, never used a seperate dac on old Naits myself though, so hardly experienced advise

I'm currently using a JVC AX 1010.
It is truly amazing.
It has dac, remote control, power and it controls my Royd Merlin speakers. Sound is powerful and tight. It is all I need, except it is huge and does not fit on my tv rack. How much would I have to spend to get the same performance from a more up to date product?

I know what you mean about the bulk of the Z1010... but it could be both much cheaper and sonically less risky to buy a new rack !?

advertisement

Back