advertisement

Allo Digione Signature anyone?

Moppit

pfm Member
Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone had tried the new Allo Digione Signature version, ideally in comparison against the non-Sig version? I've been very pleased with my Digione but have been pondering if the new version is worth the outlay or just a marginal improvement.

I understand the new version splits the board into two (clean and dirty side) and requires two separate power supplies. Best results being had with a battery pack for the 'clean' side of the board.

Given this I can't help thinking why not just power the original via a battery or other clean power anyway?

Would be interested to hear if anyone out there has done any comparisons...

I’ve just ordered a Signature with the battery pack to replace the Digione, will report back in a week on how it sounds. There’s a video on the John darko site where he compares it with the digione and auralic aries where he reckons it makes an improvement over something already very decent. Doubt I’ll hear any difference but worth a go!

Excellent. Look forward to your findings, also if the battery pack will run the original Digione to any great effect? Surely it's the SMPS that is the source of noise anyway?

Just got the Digione signature up and running with battery pack running the ‘clean’ side of the board. It certainly sounds different, seems to have more bass and separation with the same clarity of the original Digione, very pleasant to listen to. It’s going into a Chord Qutest > Croft 25r > Heed monos > totem ember. I tried the clean side with a SMPS and the difference to the original wasn’t as big but still noticeable. This is all very marginal gain territory though, the original is excellent and there isn’t a night and day difference, might have a bigger impact in a more revealing setup. I couldn’t try the batteries in the digione unfortunately as sold it on before the signature arrived!

Yes, I have gone from a Digione to the Sig version.

To be honest I put off doing it for a while (as it is quite a jump in price) but am pleased by the difference.

I run it now with a battery pack I built myself (4 x A123 ANR26650M1-B batteries) on the 'clean' side and a 5v LPS I had hanging around on the 'dirty' one.

The difference between the standard digione and the sig is subtle but worthwhile. I notice it most as a better resolution of space in a recording - an increased sense of ambience. I feel bass too is tighter and slightly deeper (but this may be me hearing what I want to hear)!

The output runs into a Benchmark DAC and active ATCs.

Interestingly, since installing it I have stopped using a MiniDSP DDRC22D (running Dirac) as I am focused on achieving as simple and clean a signal path as possible. I do the the little room EQ (that the DDRC22D was doing) in Roon now instead.

Douglas

I too have gone from Digione to Sig and feel it is entirely worthwhile. I have a dual-output power supply from CHC (who also make the PS for the Innuos Statement), one output goes to the 'clean' side of the Sig and one to my Chord Qutest. For the 'dirty' side I use an iFi PS. The improvements were as described above - more natural, more detail, darker and quieter, better timbre. Of course this all depends on how transparent your system is overall, but you should definitely hear improvements in these areas. Compared to the ludicrous pricing of some hifi products the investment is a no-brainer.

Incidentally my S/PDIF cables from SLIC Innovations and this also improved the sound in the same way as I describe above. The cable being much more expensive than the S/PDIF board itself, but nevertheless good value IMHO compared to many on the market.

I have just ordered one of these. I currently use a Hifiberry Digi+ and agonised long and hard over whether just to get the Digione, rather than the Signature, but hopefully I should see a major uplift in sound quality over my current setup.
I ordered the infamous battery holder too, though initially I plan to try powering the "clean" side from an Anker battery pack, which has worked well with the Digi+. I have just returned an iFi iPower, which I thought sounded inferior to the Anker.
Hopefully this won't spark a round of upegradeitis; apart from my digital front end, I haven't bought any new gear for about 25 years.

(First post BTW, hi folks)!

Hello. It seems that this little streamer is quite impressive. I'm quite interested in ordering one but I don't like the battery power supply idea too much. Is there a commercially available linear PS with 2x5v outputs that I could use instead? How reliable is the WiFi for streaming. I don't plan on playing anything beyond16/44.1 WAV,

Thanks,
Rudy

Hello. It seems that this little streamer is quite impressive. I'm quite interested in ordering one but I don't like the battery power supply idea too much. Is there a commercially available linear PS with 2x5v outputs that I could use instead? How reliable is the WiFi for streaming. I don't plan on playing anything beyond16/44.1 WAV,

Thanks,
Rudy

If you get the raspberry pi b+ which has a much improved WiFi module it will work fine.

Yes, it needs to be two independent supplies (but they could be in the same enclosure), there's no point in just splitting the output to 2 outputs as noise being injected back on to the power supply from the dirty side will impact the clean side.

Yes, it needs to be two independent supplies (but they could be in the same enclosure), there's no point in just splitting the output to 2 outputs as noise being injected back on to the power supply from the dirty side will impact the clean side.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for pointing this out.

Yes, that's 2 power supplies in one chassis but I'd be very wary with using that to power a pi3+ as it's only rated for 1.5A (and I doubt whether it can even supply that continuously).

Thinking about upgrading my Digione to Digione Sig also. My current Digione being powered by ifi SMPS, I've read somewhere that ifi reckon their PS is quieter than a LPS & a battery pack, would be interested in people's thoughts on this. I am using Volumio OS as well, would appreciate other people's views on which OS they found works best. I use mine for streaming from Tidal mainly.

advertisement

Back