advertisement

Albums you just played for the first time in years

Sparklehorse were great! I’ll have to have a watch of the documentary as I know very little about them other than I have most if not all of the albums (on CD). Certainly one of the more interesting ‘90s low-fi/Americana /post-rock or whatever the hell it is they do bands.

Please recommend a Sparklehorse album as a starter.

Its A Wonderful Life I'd say, even not being as well versed as some on here most probably ( @gavreid being one I think- which would be your choice, Vivadixie-?)

It's very much his usual thing (eggshell vox & slow atmospherically dark tunes) yet quite varied too: PJH & Nina Perrsson adding lovely touches on vox, & even Tom Waits writing & scowling on one total bruiser. Interesting album.

Capt

Last edited:
Sparklehorse were great! I’ll have to have a watch of the documentary as I know very little about them other than I have most if not all of the albums (on CD). Certainly one of the more interesting ‘90s low-fi/Americana /post-rock or whatever the hell it is they do bands.

There's a 2022 doco, longer, which I can't access as it's a pay affair (so new I guess). But this is the burped one I watched.

It's interesting to me, that just as The Fall were Mark E Smith's venture (plus anyone he decided to invite).. the very same applies to Sparklehorse & Mark Linkous.

Capt

Darklands & Kiss me Kiss me Kiss me, last time I listened was years ago on release and was quite disappointed, fast forward 20 years plus and they are both quite brilliant.

Recent visits to the TT have been:

Creedence Clearwater : Bayou Country
Led Zeppelin : 3
Deep Purple: Who Do we think we Are?
George Benson: Breezin' & Good King Bad
Doobie Bros. : The Captain & Me.

Have just given Mike Oldfield's 'Incantations' a spin for the first time in well over 20 years. Reminded me how much I like Maddy Prior's singing.

Dug this out this afternoon for the first time in about a decade. Had forgotten how bonkers it is.

Mi0xMzI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

The Cosmic Jokers

Went through a bit of a Krautrock phase a while back and this was way up there. Not least because Manuel Göttsching was at the helm.

Not listened to it since my commuting days a good 10 years ago and it still blows my mind.

Dug this out this afternoon for the first time in about a decade. Had forgotten how bonkers it is.

Mi0xMzI1LmpwZWc.jpeg
One of the greats. I bought mine at Woolworths. You could ask to listen to a track before buying, which was played to the whole store. So I chose Autobahn. After about seven minutes the assistant asked if she could please turn it off and would I buy it. Yes, and I still play it. All the way through.

Stumbled across 'House Tornado' on Spotify for first time in many years yesterday. Surprisingly super. Really enjoyed it. Better than I remember. Given I was never a huge fan and don't recall playing it that much, I was surprised at how familiar it sounded.

Mojave Three - Out of Tune.
Cleaned and played a couple of tracks prior to selling. What a beautiful album.
Thought I might change my mind but it was unplayed for 10+ years so had to go.

I burn out on a lot of music - examples being Chopin, Mozart and Scriabin. Haven't listened to any of them in ages. I'm really aching for something unfamiliar but still great music. I try out operas from time to time - it was Lohengrin today. And some new music also, like Messiaen 20 Regards. I quite like Le Marteau Sans Maitre by Boulez too. I should try some stuff like Stockhausen again, or Nixon In China...... whatever......
On the classical front, I confess to having discovered the music of Sibelius only 2-3 years ago. Loving a lot of what I’m hearing and wondering what took me so long.

advertisement

Back