advertisement

Albums you just played for the first time in years

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I'm currently listening to Sea and Sky by Stomu Yamashta, an album I haven't played for probably 15 or 20 years, but it defo won't be that long before I play it again as it's much better than I remember it being.

71qFJbHDRcL._AC_UY218_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I burn out on a lot of music - examples being Chopin, Mozart and Scriabin. Haven't listened to any of them in ages. I'm really aching for something unfamiliar but still great music. I try out operas from time to time - it was Lohengrin today. And some new music also, like Messiaen 20 Regards. I quite like Le Marteau Sans Maitre by Boulez too. I should try some stuff like Stockhausen again, or Nixon In China...... whatever......

Strangely, I also rediscovered Stomu Yamashta recently. "Go" is an album I bought in the mid 70s and loved it. I think it was featured on a late night Radio 3 programme of modern classical, prog rock, all sorts, a bit like the 2010's Mixing It series. I also heard Einstein On The Beach for the first time there. It was that kind of eclectic show.

Anyhow, new music comes along and pushes out the old favourites, but when I got a new turntable recently I played some old stuff and hey, really enjoying it!

Mind you, a lot of music I bought as a kid is going to charity :)

I've been doing this a lot recently by using the random albums selector in LMS.
Yesterday's long neglected albums were:
Jim Hall - Concerto
808 State - Quadrastate
Godley & Creme - Freeze Frame

Most of the time I'm listening to newly bought music, so it's nice to get a nudge to play something from years back.

I listened to ‘Fables of the reconstruction’ for the first time in over a decade the other day, really enjoyed it. I’ve had it on vinyl for a long time but did so by Qobuz the other day.

One of the big advantages of streaming is that you can access music on a whim.

It’s an album that I never fully took to but the recent remaster is rather good.

I listened to ‘Fables of the reconstruction’ for the first time in over a decade the other day, really enjoyed it. I’ve had it on vinyl for a long time but did so by Qobuz the other day.

One of the big advantages of streaming is that you can access music on a whim.

It’s an album that I never fully took to but the recent remaster is rather good.
The remaster on this version is dreadful though.

I'm currently listening to Sea and Sky by Stomu Yamashta, an album I haven't played for probably 15 or 20 years, but it defo won't be that long before I play it again as it's much better than I remember
An extraordinary album I came across by accident. It has Paul Buckmaster arranging the strings which is a bonus. I was lucky enough to pick up this copy which is playing now on my recently setup Planar 2 (original)/Denon 103 combo:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Maria Kalaniemi - Kultaisen Harmonikan Voittaja

But I could say that about practically all my non-classical vinyl - I'm in the process of "weeding" the collection while recording the good stuff I don't have on the NAS. The classical vinyl goes to a good home next weekend.

Sparklehorse, It's A Wonderful Life on cd. First time in.. prolly 12 years.

Watched a doco on Mark Linkous I stumbled upon, that 'YouTube burped up for me' (@Tony L that really is a splendid phrase).. & knowing little about him beforehand, apart from his demise & some near-demise, I had bigger respect for him & understanding of his music too, as a result after watching it.

It's a great album & I'm diving into his music deeper too. Capt

Last edited:

advertisement

Back