advertisement

Aftermarket Power Cord Recommendation for Naim\Pardo

Do you have a set of measurements in mind that can capture the change of a power cable?

Sure, take a good camera with mics like zoom etc. and make a recording of your system with a set of good cables and without
(but in the end you will have to hear it anyway, so why to bother. Overall, avoiding hearing by all the means is the most stupid thing audio engineers do. For whatever reason is a total mystery…)

I don‘t want to upset you much but all the devices at your home are connected effectively. So all the leds, fridge etc. have an impact on the sq.
I don't want to upset you, but you're not talking about ground loops now, which was your point about grounding.

I'm happy to chat about this all day, but could you stick to answering the points you made earlier please?

it includes all the cables and their ability to deal with the noise + usual l,c,r parameters
And hence measurable, l, c and r impacts are all measurable.... usually as a filter effect...the null tester would highlight those differences.

Can we agree in that?

because it‘s only a part (and not the most significant) of the system
What is "only a part (and not the most significant) of the system"?

I don't understand what you are getting at...

One minute it is l, c, r and then it's not. If you could clearly explain please? :)

the guy is measuring an output of some unknown portable device (which is a total shit from the sq point of view probably) and that’s it…

Where is a power supply in that system at all?
If you are talking about the system under test through a null tester, then there can be anything in the system, cables, PSU, DACs, streamers, etc. Simply record the audio signal, change say the mains cable, record the audio signal again, using the same music, and subtract the first recording from the second, you can then see the difference the changed mains cable made...or any change made.

Does that help?

the guy is measuring an output of some unknown portable device (which is a total shit from the sq point of view probably) and that’s it…
I think you're missing the idea behind a null test. It can be used to test any system, to highlight differences in the audio when one change is made to that system.

Simply record the audio signal, change say the mains cable, record the audio signal again, using the same music, and subtract the first recording from the second

Why you stop in the middle of the chain - record the total sound of the system

Why you stop in the middle of the chain - record the total sound of the system
There's nothing to stop one using a mic to record the output of the speakers, and doing the comparison of those two audio streams, one with a mains cable change.

It is important to make just the one change to the system and then compare. With everything else the same the comparison just highlights the impact of the changed component.

There's nothing to stop one using a mic to record the output of the speakers

Perfect, and that is totally possible for your system at home without references to any aes engineers. And as a last step you will realise that you don’t need a mic because you can hear it yourself.

Perfect, and that is totally possible for your system at home without references to any aes engineers. And as a last step you will realise that you don’t need a mic because you can hear it yourself.
And now you've put a fallible, impressionable, poor audio memory, influencable human in the loop....:(

But, but, let's record the audio and do a null test...my guess is a mains cable change has no impact on the sq...the change is all in the human's mind...the mains cable has no impact.

Hello square one, good to be back here again....sigh...

Tbh if I'd paid £500 for a mains cable I'd be expecting a change in sq...:)

advertisement

Back