advertisement

Black Tie Wedding

Jezzer

Unspecified
I’ve been invited to a wedding and it’s a black tie event (groans).

Managed to unearth my old tux which I haven’t worn for over 20 years and, surprise surprise, it doesn’t fit!

Now, do I go out and buy another tux or should I buy a decent black suit which could potentially be more useful..? (such as funerals)

Hire one or get one from a charity shop.
It will be hardly worn.
That's my thought. On the one occasion that I attended such a do, I hired one. I actually don't own a suit at all, and the last time I wore one was at my wedding 43 years ago - and that was rented.

I'd ring and check with them. They might relax the rules for non front line guests. I know some friends were invited to a wedding, the rule was "no children" so as they have 2 small children, just as many other 30 something couples do, they rang and said "sorry, it's the whole family or no thanks" and the bride and groom saw sense.
If you have to, hire. You'll never need it again. Nobody does black tie any more, it's 2024.

I bought a Tux from M&S about 5 years ago for £100. Have worn it once. Glad I didn’t pay more. I bought a new suit for my Dad’s funeral in 2022, it’s the only suit I own now. Not sure what I’ll be wearing for Daughter #1’s wedding next year yet.

Cheers BB

I'd ring and check with them. They might relax the rules for non front line guests. I know some friends were invited to a wedding, the rule was "no children" so as they have 2 small children, just as many other 30 something couples do, they rang and said "sorry, it's the whole family or no thanks" and the bride and groom saw sense.
If you have to, hire. You'll never need it again. Nobody does black tie any more, it's 2024.
I thought only Americans got married in dinner jackets? Is this the end of European civilisation?

I bought a Tux from M&S about 5 years ago for £100. Have worn it once. Glad I didn’t pay more. I bought a new suit for my Dad’s funeral in 2022, it’s the only suit I own now. Not sure what I’ll be wearing for Daughter #1’s wedding next year yet.

Cheers BB

Just checked. An M&S tux is £110.

FFS. I’m so annoyed!!

I don’t even own any black shoes…

advertisement

Back