advertisement

Black Tie Wedding

get something funky

get something funky

Judging by your taste in coats I’m not as flamboyant as you…

As a youngster, back in 1988, I remember a job event where all employees, including the handlers, the cleaning personnel etc., were required to turn up with a suit. They all did, with the means they had.

The worst was one of the lorry drivers who wore the only suit he ever had, the one of his wedding 10 years prior. Guess what, bell-bottoms were still alive and kicking in 1978. And they were never as much out of place as in the mid-eighties. We struggled not to laugh.

10 years ïs a very long time for a suit. Never use it, wherever ou go. Differences are sometimes only subtle, nevertheless they are visible to many, and you will look like a pauper.

People that require not so close friends to drop a few hundred quid just to see them tie the knot?
My sister-in-law once gave me the silent treatment for three years after we refused to attend the wedding of her daughter, in the south of France. She, her groom as well as most attendees came from Geneva, but purely for show-off (working-class daughter married a multimillionaire son, so she had to impress her friends) it had to be on the coast, at a place difficult to reach with public transport. Accommodation was expensive, and it was an eight-hour drive one way. Nothing against flying to say, NY, if there is a very good reason for the event to take place there, but paying $$$$ and planning several days just for the couple playing rich, we said no-no.

Last edited:
I wonder what it's made of.
Polyester. But it will do the job for the day. Wool is £300.

I'd be tempted to get the M&S job and flog it for £60 on Ebay afterwards.

Wedding dress codes are naff. Who cares what people are wearing so long as they've made some kind of effort. They fact they've taken the day out to come and wish you well should be more than enough.

Go on your own in the worst possible charity shop getup you can muster and get REALLY shitfaced.

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of sartorial elegance being exhibited on here, to be honest - every man should own a pair of smart black shoes and at least one decent suit for weddings, christenings, funerals and job interviews. My 'best' black shoes were bough for my own wedding and they give me mixed feelings now as they were used for various other weddings, then some christenings and now they're getting trotted out for funerals, which is a bit depressing!

For this particular scenario one I'd be hiring a tux for the day - it's a one-off so what's the big deal? As to people who have said not to bother going if you're not prepared to adhere to the dress code, this I do agree with. However, this is mainly because if I was the person having the event and decided to apply a dress code, I would be disappointed by people turning up who had decided they couldn't be bothered to go with it.

I thought only Americans got married in dinner jackets? Is this the end of European civilisation?

It's correct for an evening wedding but i don't think many of us bother too much about that now.

My last dinner jacket came from ebay, about £40, the last time i wore the previous one it had a lot of moth holes so i had to black out portions of my legs with a laundry marker.

Most black suits make an event look like a work meeting so for lounge suit (yuk) events i have a green and gold striped 3 piece run up by a little tailor in the back streets of Mumbai.

be honest - every man should own a pair of smart black shoes and at least one decent suit for weddings, christenings, funerals and job interviews

I don't any of those. I do own many pairs of very nice shoes. All my suits went to the recycling about a month ago. About a dozen of em, most mDe in Delhi, Bangkok or Hong Kong.

Got to attend a funeral tomorrow......

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of sartorial elegance being exhibited on here, to be honest - every man should own a pair of smart black shoes and at least one decent suit for weddings, christenings, funerals and job interviews. My 'best' black shoes were bough for my own wedding and they give me mixed feelings now as they were used for various other weddings, then some christenings and now they're getting trotted out for funerals, which is a bit depressing!

For this particular scenario one I'd be hiring a tux for the day - it's a one-off so what's the big deal? As to people who have said not to bother going if you're not prepared to adhere to the dress code, this I do agree with. However, this is mainly because if I was the person having the event and decided to apply a dress code, I would be disappointed by people turning up who had decided they couldn't be bothered to go with it.
You forget you’re on a hi-fi forum.

I do have nice shoes. Just not black ones.

I’ve decided to hire a tux. £70. But might buy the M&S one and sell it after (thx Paul). But I will need to buy shoes. £200 minimum (from Loake or Barker) as I expect to wear them again.

Everyone is different. If Id been invited to a family wedding, I'd try to get out of it. Failing that I would expect to buy new clothes and do my damnedest to look dapper and confident.
I would make sure that what ever I bought fitted well helped me to rock what I've got.
If you can afford quality hifi, surely you can afford to look your best?

People like snobs or social climbers?

People that require not so close friends to drop a few hundred quid just to see them tie the knot?

Yeah, all of that. It's pompous and narcissistic and disrespectful in assuming the means of people you're supposed to care about.

When I got married my parents were keen to give us some cash so we spent it on an event at a fancy hotel and made sure people had good food and drinkable wine. I was grateful that people liked either me and/or my wife enough to attend, it never occurred to us to put conditions on entry.

I also hate people telling me what to do or wear.

A black suit with a dress shirt & tie will be fine. Make sure you have nice shoes. Don't hire, not really cost effective. You can get a decent tux for less than £200, always useful to have on hand.

For funerals I wear a black tie out of respect but otherwise smart chino & jacket works really well.

Always wear good shoes regardless.

advertisement

Back