advertisement

The over-hyped Eversolo DMP A6: Some Impressions

I am surprised you paid a yearly sub for Roon for 9 years. I bought a lifetime sub in 2018 which at the time was equivalent to three years annual sub. Therefore it has been free for the last 3 years. I haven’t had any significant technical issues. I have used it on Innuos and Antipodes servers. Since switching to Antipodes I am only using Roon as a front end for HQ Player. I have heard some people argue that better sound quality can be achieved with other streaming solutions (mostly people running £30 k digital front ends). This is no doubt true, but I am happy enough with the sound I am getting with Roon/HQP, and the user experience is excellent.
I bought a lifetime Roon sub many years ago when I admit I was not so critical of sound quality and also before Innous developed their Sense player and app. I now use Innuos and Antipodes streamers and with neither of these do I use Roon despite the lifetime sub. With the Innuos I use their Sense player and with Antipodes I use Squeeze server and Squeezelite Player. Both of these outclass Roon for sound quality by some margin.

now use Innuos and Antipodes streamers and with neither of these do I use Roon despite the lifetime sub. With the Innuos I use their Sense player and with Antipodes I use Squeeze server and Squeezelite Player. Both of these outclass Roon for sound quality by some margin.
All that means to me is that Innuos and Antipodes haven't got the competence to implement Roon acceptably. There’s no good reason why there should be any discernable difference between any player that delivers bit accurate data. Top end Antipodes streamers cost of the order of £25k. It should not make any difference whether you use Squeezelite or Roon or anything else.

I bought a lifetime Roon sub many years ago when I admit I was not so critical of sound quality and also before Innous developed their Sense player and app. I now use Innuos and Antipodes streamers and with neither of these do I use Roon despite the lifetime sub. With the Innuos I use their Sense player and with Antipodes I use Squeeze server and Squeezelite Player. Both of these outclass Roon for sound quality by some margin.
How do those solutions integrate with Tidal and HQP? Perhaps one day I will try. You have a seriously good front end so perhaps the differences will be less evident on more modest gear.

I use Roon on a NUC Rock and can also use Mosaic, a stripped down UPnP app that can pull files off my NAS. No difference sonically, or so little it’s not repeatably identifiable, so I don’t get digs about Roon SQ.

I have Audirvana as well, not used it for 4 yrs as I wasn’t happy with it sonically or its library handling - very poor IMO. Maybe it’s improved since then.

How do those solutions integrate with Tidal and HQP? Perhaps one day I will try. You have a seriously good front end so perhaps the differences will be less evident on more modest gear.
You are exactly wrong, The more you spend, the less evident the differences should be. A “seriously good” front end should, by definition, make bit-identical sources sound the same, If it doesn't, it cannot be ”seriously good”, it is just expensive crap,

Interestingly, to me anyway, the Genelec 8331s, especially once calibrated, are surprisingly source agnostic. The quality of the file/recording is far more important.

All that means to me is that Innuos and Antipodes haven't got the competence to implement Roon acceptably.
You can add Lumin to that list as well. Qobuz through their app sounded far better than through Roon.

A follow up question. How do you actually use squeezelite player? Just had a look on the app store and there is no app. Wikipedia suggests that you need to control it through a web site.

Thanks for this. Maybe I will find the enthusiasm to test this soon. I found a help file on headfi to get Tidal and HQP working with squeeze on antipodes. It would be impossible to work out all the steps without this guide, it is definitely in the domain of IT enthusiasts, which is not surprising given it is freeware.

The features I like most about Roon are the Roon radio where I can discover new music in every listening session, and the ability to add Tidal albums to my library as I discover them so I have one integrated library with my own music and Tidal albums. I always hated the chore of ripping albums, so 99.9% of my digital listening is Tidal now. Any alternative solution to Roon would need to work seamlessly with third party streaming libraries for me to be interested.

Sorry for the off topic diversion. Does the Eversolo software have equivalent functionality for integrating third party libraries and discovering new music?

I've always found all the talk of SQ differences between various streaming platforms slightly baffling. I've used Tidal, have Qobuz desktop app and Audirvana. Unless I'm fiddling with settings, I can't really hear a difference if the file is the same. And sorry, I don't buy 'your system isn't revealing enough', my ears might not be, but nor are most other commentators'.

Was seriously considering one but had reservations about ess dacs sounding thin in some applications and glad I didn’t jump then .

Might be worth taking @Juancho 's (or anyone else's) preference and system into account. Different strokes et cetera...

I've always found all the talk of SQ differences between various streaming platforms slightly baffling. I've used Tidal, have Qobuz desktop app and Audirvana. Unless I'm fiddling with settings, I can't really hear a difference if the file is the same. And sorry, I don't buy 'your system isn't revealing enough', my ears might not be, but nor are most other commentators'.
From my PoV, yes. It's not everyone's objective but I like digital parts of (edit) audio systems to provide the same experience from the same source material. However, to over-generalize, ISTM that the key element of a perception of difference comes not from the listener's the ears, but from the listener's brain.

The information carried by the common two-channel audio system isn't enough to reproduce the audio sound-field of any real audio event. If the listener perceives some version of a real event, and many people do I think or at least want to, it's the listener's brain filling in the missing detail from previous audio experience, as well as from expectation, from bias, from mood, from equipment "look and feel", and from lots of other non-audio senses and origins.

So if someone perceives a difference where my brain thinks there should be none I say "sure". But someone else's experience does not dictate mine, even though the language used to express the experience often looks rather didactic.

Most of the YouTube influencers are salespeople.
Other than a product overview, I’m simply not interested in what they have to say.

Last edited:
I use Roon on a NUC Rock and can also use Mosaic, a stripped down UPnP app that can pull files off my NAS. No difference sonically, or so little it’s not repeatably identifiable, so I don’t get digs about Roon SQ.

I have Audirvana as well, not used it for 4 yrs as I wasn’t happy with it sonically or its library handling - very poor IMO. Maybe it’s improved since then.
It has improved an awful lot in SQ and functionslity (Studio version)

With my iOS devices I either use the iPeng app to control LMS or the web based Material Skin. I tend to use both because each has its plus points.
Don't quite understand your remarks re material skin. Material skin is presentational and appears on Squeezer or I assume I Peng?

advertisement

Back