advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

I just finish my Ergo IX speakers and I did some upgrade to the crossover with great result
Hope I can attach some pictures but it seems not so I will add the link to youtube where I put some videos.
Have you tried swapping the Ergos over so the tweeter is on the outside? I think they sound better that way.

Timely thread reappearance! Just noticed some ‘tizziness’ on voice and piano on one speaker of my Ergo lXs. First noticed on fairly loud piano, but definitely there on unaccompanied voice too. Any thoughts a to cause or necessary investigations? No loose screws…
Could be the tinsel lead on the woofer making contact with the cone.

Interested in what mods to your crossover you make. I ended.up using the free space version of the crossover and really like it but that said there can be a hint of harshness on some recordings with the Ergos which I feel may be a function of the tweeter.

Interested in what mods to your crossover you make. I ended.up using the free space version of the crossover and really like it but that said there can be a hint of harshness on some recordings with the Ergos which I feel may be a function of the tweeter.
Which cap are you using for the HP filter?

That is what I use too. I wonder if the Morel tweeter (or its ferro-fluid) is going out of spec. My very low mileage E-IXs don't seem to have any harshness that I can tell. Is it coming just from one of the pair or both?

My E-IXs doesn't develop any harshness since I tuned the resistor to 6.5 ohm. Sound is balance between woofer/mid and treble.

The R-value of the HP resistor for the free space version is different from boundary design. Can you remind me which version you have, @azman?

I am thinking any harshness is pretty much a room dependency, as I had similar issues with Zu Essences driven by a tube amp (Manley Stingray). When the Stingray/Essence setup was in our old house there was not a hint to harshness. Similarly if I listen through headphones no issues.

@James As per my previous post a while back, I am pretty sure the IX will be my next build. I have search for a couple of days and can't find any frequency, phase or impedance plots for this speaker, is this intentional or am I not looking hard enough. If they are out there in the public domain please can someone link to them, if not is it possible to post them. Thanks in advance.

If anyone is looking at building a pair of Ergo 1X's I have a spare pair of cabinets which I built some years ago as I had access to a CNC router. They are finished in Beech and only need the holes drilled for the drive units . They might save you some time, effort and work or you may not have the skills to build a set of cabinets.

@James As per my previous post a while back, I am pretty sure the IX will be my next build. I have search for a couple of days and can't find any frequency, phase or impedance plots for this speaker, is this intentional or am I not looking hard enough. If they are out there in the public domain please can someone link to them, if not is it possible to post them. Thanks in advance.
I posted them sometime ago, but the links might be dead. I will update my OP with them later today when I'm home.

If anyone is looking at building a pair of Ergo 1X's I have a spare pair of cabinets which I built some years ago as I had access to a CNC router. They are finished in Beech and only need the holes drilled for the drive units . They might save you some time, effort and work or you may not have the skills to build a set of cabinets.
That's a very kind of you. BTW, the correct variant name is E-IX denoting Ergo number nine. Not 1X.

That's a very kind of you. BTW, the correct variant name is E-IX denoting Ergo number nine. Not 1X.
It was me James, I bought them.

Going to source drivers, reread this thread for the crossover and construction tips :)

advertisement

Back