advertisement

What's going on at Naim?

To answer the OPs question of "what's going on at Naim". They are busy being a world class company and earning millions for the UK in exports. Probably much better than the negativity of the same old moaners.

No, no, no... the accounts at Companies House are all lies don't you know? They are failing and have been for about 20 years now ;)

A whole bunch of people on a forum discover that sound changes slightly between different generations of products because the people who design them die. New or different people are then discovered to have different ears and thus design different products. Applies to every manufacturer ever but hey let’s make it about Naim.

Man claims product is very good to sceptic. Sceptic thinks the best response is not to ask why but to go on the internet and ridicule. Julian is long since dead. He won’t be spinning in his grave. He won’t really give a damn but if he were here then, like most of his ilk, his company would either have died by now on the cross he built for it or moved on and survived. Weirdly Naim did the latter. People keep their jobs and careers - generally a good thing - and produced some products some people loved and some peolle hated. What changed? Literally nothing. Exactly the same choices every company makes every year.

Then we have the “oh I’d rather listen to music than be in a cult.” crew. Irony meter never works there. Naim owners largely aren’t on this thread. They don’t feel the need to get into crap like this. Again, weirdly, they might just be listening to music. The irony of course is that the real cult is people who want to talk Naim all the time and who claim that Naim owners have characteristics or even character flaws illustrated by their ownership of products where they have literally just gone “I like that. I will buy it and listen to music“.

I suppose there’s also a conversation to be had about all the upgrade nonsense. The reality is that Naim do no more than provide an upgrade path which gives owners options. Some explore them forever. Some just listen to music. The only difference is having the manufacturer provide a path. News just in. Elsewhere on this forum you might find people with the same desire to upgrade but no path. So they just switch from manufacturer to manufacturer. Everybody else is weird
I think you dealer … or traider :) or trololo…

this topic collected a owners of old Naim equipment Olive HB BoltdD
and old Naim have a better live and warm sound
And when this owners listen the
Newley
Better
Excellent
Wonderful
New equipment from Naim
Him ears have a pain ….

I think for you doesn't matter old or new naim All is same … :)))

P.s how about Julian he’s waching from heavens and so angry with you and naim directors … and rnd engineers with designers …

I just knew I shouldn’t have clicked but stupidly I did.

Can I really say anything that will change anyone’s mind either way?

I suppose I could use a perceptive quote from some lesser known but yet highly regarded piece of literature.

Yes, that’s an idea.

Captain McWhirr of the steamer Nanshan had a physiognomy that in the normal manner of appearances was the exact counterpart of his mind: it presented no marked characteristics of firmness or stupidity; it had no pronounced characteristics whatever; it was simply ordinary, irresponsive, and unruffled.

So there it is, sublimely simple yet treacherously irrefutable even to the abject naysayers of profane pink.

.sjb

A whole bunch of people on a forum discover that sound changes slightly between different generations of products because the people who design them die. New or different people are then discovered to have different ears and thus design different products. Applies to every manufacturer ever but hey let’s make it about Naim.

Man claims product is very good to sceptic. Sceptic thinks the best response is not to ask why but to go on the internet and ridicule. Julian is long since dead. He won’t be spinning in his grave. He won’t really give a damn but if he were here then, like most of his ilk, his company would either have died by now on the cross he built for it or moved on and survived. Weirdly Naim did the latter. People keep their jobs and careers - generally a good thing - and produced some products some people loved and some peolle hated. What changed? Literally nothing. Exactly the same choices every company makes every year.

Then we have the “oh I’d rather listen to music than be in a cult.” crew. Irony meter never works there. Naim owners largely aren’t on this thread. They don’t feel the need to get into crap like this. Again, weirdly, they might just be listening to music. The irony of course is that the real cult is people who want to talk Naim all the time and who claim that Naim owners have characteristics or even character flaws illustrated by their ownership of products where they have literally just gone “I like that. I will buy it and listen to music“.

I suppose there’s also a conversation to be had about all the upgrade nonsense. The reality is that Naim do no more than provide an upgrade path which gives owners options. Some explore them forever. Some just listen to music. The only difference is having the manufacturer provide a path. News just in. Elsewhere on this forum you might find people with the same desire to upgrade but no path. So they just switch from manufacturer to manufacturer. Everybody else is weird yeah.
Blimey. Touche une corde?

Naim have their own dedicated forum for circle jerking and back slapping, with the bonus that the mods will delete anything nasty said against the faithful.

If only they stayed there :rolleyes:

One at a time then. Nobody liked your post mate. There’s a reason for that.

Also technically wrong. Plenty of threads on the Naim forum asking questions; critical of products; highlighting customer service issues etc. without being deleted at all. What a magnificent example you are of the sort of madness this stuff generates. Different forums have different moderation styles. Get a life.

I think you dealer … or traider :) or trololo…

this topic collected a owners of old Naim equipment Olive HB BoltdD
and old Naim have a better live and warm sound
And when this owners listen the
Newley
Better
Excellent
Wonderful
New equipment from Naim
Him ears have a pain ….

I think for you doesn't matter old or new naim All is same … :)))

P.s how about Julian he’s waching from heavens and so angry with you and naim directors … and rnd engineers with designers …

I am none of those things and never have been. If you don’t like Naim then good for you but why single them out? Why comment at all? Why not pick on the many manufacturers of the doubtless many other products you don’t like?

Blimey. Touche une corde?

Not really. Bunch of grown ups behaving like the very worst of children but in the very worst sense of actually arguing like ten year olds. Many ten year olds would be less prejudiced and have better organisational thought.

You have to admit that the moderation on the Naim forum is pretty heavy-handed. It's much nicer over here. I do agree that most frequent posters on the Naim forum are backslappers and sheep.

Disclosure: I am a Naim owner and former fanboy but I love all the Naims I have.
It's ok. There's a number and some information sheets I can refer you to. When the fun stops, stop

My view is the new stuff is certainly better than all the old gear, and so it should be.
Naim has just really stood still for many years, and just re boxed it gear with a slight tweak hear and there, rather than took big steps.
They have fallen far behind with many other manufacturers so it's good to see new designs coming out at last.
I won't be buying anything from nain as moved on from my 500 based system, but I probably would have if naim had upped it's game a few years ago.

Also I feel nothing wrong with the old gear, it has it sound, and if you like it great. But it's certainly not anywhere near the top off the tree when sound quality is your first choice.
The new gear has certainly moved naim more to what other gear sounds like, rather than the old naim sound.
Plus, some naim owners with the older kit don't like change, and seeing there kit no longer the kit to have, plus the prices fall. Some find it hard as some owners are certainly very strange is what I have found.

These threads are tedious. Still we hadn't had one for a week or two so I'll reiterate the position for those that refuse to grasp it.

Naim have not stood still at all. They have just moved into markets that are not those of the traditional audiophile. They have long realised that the age of most people wanting a 'hi-fi system' in their house is gone and convenience trumps everything now so trying to make gear that complies with this yet still sounds pretty good is what they are doing and doing it rather well. The fact they are still catering for those of us daft enough to love multi-box systems is to be applauded, but even here they haven't really stopped moving forward... even before the launch of the latest series of amplifiers and streamers they have long been embracing the streaming age with products that still retain the Naim sound just as they did with CD.

Then we get on to value for money. People may think their products are overpriced, but you are buying products that have had a full cycle of R&D around ergonomics, marketing and build as well as the sound... and if people feel the latter hasn't moved forward much then they can still buy something else. No one is forced to buy a Naim product.

To illustrate the R&D point I had a set of pre/power amps from Teddy Pardo and they sounded excellent and better pound for pound than the equivalently priced Naim just as so many claimed. However, I work in R&D myself and could very quickly see why the Naim equivalents were way more expensive. Better and branded transit packaging, pre-amp source selection electronic and operable from remote control, Naim designed and manufactured remote control, volume steps on remote actually usable whereas TP not granular enough, custom and fully branded casework that is congruous (TP print their logo etc. on the bought in size mis-matched casework and it wears off over time), internals of TPs looked like very well made but ultimately home-brewed items, Naim internals are all bespoke and high quality in terms of how they are installed, fully branded documentation as opposed to printed pieces of paper etc. This is not to slag off TP as the amps were worth every penny ... especially the power amps, but Naim are quality all round products of a standard that is rare even at their price point.

Most of their range over the years has proved this to be the case by its longevity and lofty position in the secondhand market place, not much holds its value like Naim gear.

As for the company getting it wrong according to so many... they are turning over more and more money every year so from a business perspective they are getting it very much right and as they are providing gainful employment to a good number of people in the UK I am very happy about that. Personally I have largely moved away from them now (I still have some of their product in my second system), but I wish them well for the future and am very glad they are flourishing albeit with products that no longer hold much interest for me.

My view is the new stuff is certainly better than all the old gear, and so it should be.
I have yet to hear the new stuff apart from at show demos.
The often used Focal loudspeakers seem to ruin the party.

Must say by the looks, they are stunning as they should be looking at pricing (which is way over the top and rule many people out of the game).
As I have heard divided opinions on new classic performance I just stick to my older style Naim.
I don't believe in "everything new is better" generalisation.

Naim has just really stood still for many years, and just re boxed it gear with a slight tweak hear and there, rather than took big steps.
They have fallen far behind with many other manufacturers so it's good to see new designs coming out at last.
I won't be buying anything from nain as moved on from my 500 based system, but I probably would have if naim had upped it's game a few years ago.

Also I feel nothing wrong with the old gear, it has it sound, and if you like it great. But it's certainly not anywhere near the top off the tree when sound quality is your first choice.
The new gear has certainly moved naim more to what other gear sounds like, rather than the old naim sound.
Plus, some naim owners with the older kit don't like change, and seeing there kit no longer the kit to have, plus the prices fall. Some find it hard as some owners are certainly very strange is what I have found.

Spot on, @Hound! 👍

Same applies to those who've drunk the Linn Koolaid.

(I say that as someone who owned an LP12 for over 30 years - heavily modded along the way - until I moved on to my 'SkeletaLinn' ... in order to be able to mount a 12" UP arm that I'd fallen in lust with. :D )

advertisement

Back