advertisement

Cricket 2023

The Hundred is good entertainment and helps to showcase up and coming talent .It may not be true cricket but fast and furious !

The Hundred is good entertainment and helps to showcase up and coming talent .It may not be true cricket but fast and furious !

It's bringing new fans. A Canadian friend of mine (who lives here in the UK) has got into cricket in the lat 2 years because of The Hundred. He was avidly watching the recent Ashes series and marvelling at how he got to 50 without loving cricket.

Yes ,the Hundred is attracting a new audience to cricket which is a good thing ,also lots of youngsters seem to be enjoying it as well !

Watched Tammy Beaumont score her 118 today. Very impressive and there's little of her.
Amy Jones is always a pleasure to watch, took three wickets, caught one stumped two, yesterday, but her team lost.

Anyone going to the semi or the final of The Hundred? I have my fingers crossed the Originals men can win it this year, but the Invincibles look... well... invincible. Big game tomorrow against Welsh Fire... hoping the Originals can win that one and then we will see. I know it's not the purest form of cricket, but it is exciting stuff. Sadly in the women's Hundred the Originals are already out of contention :(

Anyone going to the semi or the final of The Hundred? I have my fingers crossed the Originals men can win it this year, but the Invincibles look... well... invincible. Big game tomorrow against Welsh Fire... hoping the Originals can win that one and then we will see. I know it's not the purest form of cricket, but it is exciting stuff. Sadly in the women's Hundred the Originals are already out of contention :(
Going to the 'semi' on Sat. Only tickets for final, when I was offered them, were in an alcohol free area which will never happen:) Come on Invincibles!

Going to the 'semi' on Sat. Only tickets for final, when I was offered them, were in an alcohol free area which will never happen:) Come on Invincibles!

Enjoy... would love an Invincibles vs Originals final and Phil Salt goes on one of his mega batting offensives to make a real game of it :D

Don't really understand The Hundred.
Not going shorter than T20 for now.

I was like that at first, but it's bringing so many young and new fans to the sport it's a good thing and now I have embraced it for the different type of cricket it is... it's a lot of fun actually and requires a quite different approach to even T20.

As a massive F1 fan and a bit of a purist the Netflix Drive to Survive series was not really my cup of tea, but I've warmed to it as the number of young fans coming to F1 because of it is huge and sports need the younger fan base to survive.

I was like that at first, but it's bringing so many young and new fans to the sport it's a good thing and now I have embraced it for the different type of cricket it is... it's a lot of fun actually and requires a quite different approach to even T20.

As a massive F1 fan and a bit of a purist the Netflix Drive to Survive series was not really my cup of tea, but I've warmed to it as the number of young fans coming to F1 because of it is huge and sports need the younger fan base to survive.

Did you come to F1 or cricket as a youngster needing them dumbed down or simplified to help your youthful attention span? Makes you wonder how these sports ever caught on.

Did you come to F1 or cricket as a youngster needing them dumbed down or simplified to help your youthful attention span? Makes you wonder how these sports ever caught on.

F1 simplified/dumbed down? It's 10 times more complicated than it was when I started watching it. Therein lies part of the problem.

We also live in different times, young people have far more expectation of instant gratification... society changes over time, people evolve... who knew?

^ OK but is it still cricket. Has it been stretched one step too far ?

For some yes, but let's take the example of my Canadian friend. He had no interest in cricket, he got taken to The Hundred in the first season as part of a corporate do... he liked what he saw. Two years on as he's at the Ashes at the Oval loving everything about test cricket... that would not have happened had The Hundred not existed.

we enjoy the Hundred games, men and women, so many go to the last over good for creating interest for youngsters to take up cricket and attendances are generally quite high

I don`t mind the Hundred and it often tends to good finishes but it`s not long enough to get the commentary going properly and the scheduling this year has completely stuffed the Test Match calendar.

Only 3 channels when most of us were young, you had to watch what was on. My son now watches F1 via Netflix.

advertisement

Back