advertisement

Cricket 2023

Want to bet on that? :):)

Ha! My experiences of both types of events is of Mrs Wb and I going to two Ryder Cups (2010 and 2014), and several mates and I going to various Cricket Internationals back in the 90’s - including the third day at the Oval in the 6th Ashes test in the summer of ‘97. Back then you could take a dozen tinnies in and no-one batted an eyelid!

I wonder if my personal experience affects the comparison? :p

We went to Headingly for the game against Pakistan in 97 (?) and they wouldn't let us take our booze in. We sequestered it in the front hedge of a semi-detached opposite the ground. It was still there when we came out at 4pm-ish. Trouble staying vertical by the time I got back to Mcr

We went to Headingly for the game against Pakistan in 97 (?) and they wouldn't let us take our booze in. We sequestered it in the front hedge of a semi-detached opposite the ground. It was still there when we came out at 4pm-ish. Trouble staying vertical by the time I got back to Mcr

We used to do lemon ice slush in a big tupperware. The goons didn't realize that it was full of gin :)

But a decidedly inconsistent Aussie side beat them - at home. They need to tighten up - whether it be with catches, wicketkeeping, spin, batting or decision-making. Small changes here and there will do.
The Aussies were very lucky & largely outplayed. They are world test champions which actually indicates they are very consistent.

England remain very difficult to beat. Winning away on the sub-continent is also rather difficult.

Ha! My experiences of both types of events is of Mrs Wb and I going to two Ryder Cups (2010 and 2014), and several mates and I going to various Cricket Internationals back in the 90’s - including the third day at the Oval in the 6th Ashes test in the summer of ‘97. Back then you could take a dozen tinnies in and no-one batted an eyelid!

I wonder if my personal experience affects the comparison? :p
I have been to several Ryder Cups, first at Muirfield Village in 87. Loads of Opens and lots of international cricket. Only Lords allows you booze and it’s restricted to a bottle each. Times have changed indeed!
Cricket definitely more boozy but I have seen many a pint downed early doors at the Open!

If you publicise early that a test day may start early due to slow over rates, a lot of fans will adjust accordingly. I usually get to a ground early, as for one thing you cannot trust the transportation system in the uk, especially trains. I have a bit of a personal rule never to miss the 1st or last ball of a days play.

Booze? Not before 12noon:D

The Aussies were very lucky & largely outplayed. They are world test champions which actually indicates they are very consistent.

England remain very difficult to beat. Winning away on the sub-continent is also rather difficult.

Are you saying England can't improve?

They can improve but they are already difficult to beat. That’s my point.

I reckon we are probably the best in the world currently.

We are very good, but the 5 test series in India will be telling one way or another. Leach needs to be fit, and we need to find and bed in at least two other spinners.

At the Old Trafford test me and three buddies were in the party stand.
In the row directly in front of us was a group of 20 friends and family who, over the course of the day, we reckoned spent well over £1800 on beers.

Agree with both the previous posts, but I stand by my suggestion. It will be a good test, especially bearing in mind we will have at least one new frontline spinner.

They can improve but they are already difficult to beat. That’s my point.

I reckon we are probably the best in the world currently.

I would say behind India and the Aussies (at least in Tests). And we will need some reinforcements with recent retirements.

I would say behind India and the Aussies (at least in Tests). And we will need some reinforcements with recent retirements.
Well we’ve drawn with both. I don’t think there is much between us. Australia’s batting seems to have dropped & our bowling will need a refresh. Not really sure about India but they never travel too well.

England have come a hell of a long way in the last 12 months.

It was good to see the Kent team put in a decent performance in the one-day cup today, (and Denly junior make a promising debut) but essentially they beat a Surrey second team. Surely, until the calendar is rationalised, whichever is regarded/promoted as the secondary competition is pretty meaningless? Did the sponsors realise what they were getting for their money I wonder?

Went to The Oval on Weds eve to see the Hundred. Seriously impressed with Gus Atkinson, 95 mph bowiing. Mark Woods speed! No wonder England are eying him up.

advertisement

Back