advertisement

Has N. Korea pushed their luck too far now?

Agreed for the present, but some kind of strategies need to be agreed in case NK starts behaving in a belligerent manner.

We could also do with working out some kind of disincentives to be applied to additional countries developing/acquiring their own nuclear weapons.

So it's fine for the loons here and the rabid Yanks but God Forbid any lesser mortals can have the power to defend themselves! You really do slaver some utter pish.

Trump is banging on about walking away from the Iran deal, so I doubt whether NK will be signing up to anything soon, most catastrophes are caused by unintentional blunders, Trump seems hell bent on a major war with someone and he doesn't seem too fussy about who it is.

Trump is banging on about walking away from the Iran deal, so I doubt whether NK will be signing up to anything soon, most catastrophes are caused by unintentional blunders, Trump seems hell bent on a major war with someone and he doesn't seem too fussy about who it is.

The Dotard works on the basis that everything done by his far more intelligent predecessor needs to be undone. :rolleyes:

Can there be a better reason for Iran to go ahead and actually produce a bomb? If Trump really does want a war, Iran would be a better candidate (insofar as there is no local equivalent of Seoul to hold to ransom). Of course, one S. Hussein Esq. once made a similar error...

Can there be a better reason for Iran to go ahead and actually produce a bomb? If Trump really does want a war, Iran would be a better candidate (insofar as there is no local equivalent of Seoul to hold to ransom). Of course, one S. Hussein Esq. once made a similar error...

Not sure it's "better" in terms of human life cost, cui bono
points to a higher oil price, aka Trumps friends and backers and Israel who can do what it likes in Palestine and continue stirring the Sunni/Shia pot. Iran is a lot more resilient than Iraq, insomuch it has more people, better weapons and can knock out the Saudi oil terminals, great if you are are Trump backer with an unused sour crude facility in the USA.

The oil producers would love an Iran war to push up prices. This includes Enron and Russia, though Putin would never say so....

The oil producers would love an Iran war to push up prices. This includes Enron and Russia, though Putin would never say so....

Exxon?, Yes Putin could cause untold mischief in Europe with the US embroiled in a mess ten times worse than Iraq.

Exxon?, Yes Putin could cause untold mischief in Europe with the US embroiled in a mess ten times worse than Iraq.

why would he do that?

as a european citizen, i would actually prefer relations with russia than the current USA (that extends back to the clinton days).

vuk.

why would he do that?

as a european citizen, i would actually prefer relations with russia than the current USA (that extends back to the clinton days).

vuk.

I think you have a problem in your view that because America does bad things Russia is somehow better, neither of them are particularly pleasant and both get up to serious mischief to further their own aims, namely power and control.

I think you have a problem in your view that because America does bad things Russia is somehow better, neither of them are particularly pleasant and both get up to serious mischief to further their own aims, namely power and control.

if i look at the past 30 years, russia is far better. that doesn't mean it is great, but the antagonism of europe doesn't help that does it? with better relations, perhaps we could expect a shift toward something better. isn't that what we are supposed to be striving for in international relations?

vuk.

Russia helped get Dumpf elected, you don't get much worse than that.

how about the nation that actually votes him in.

vuk.

I've never seen a better example of wrongly throwing blame at a national identity. "The nation" did no such thing. The most you can say is that less than half of those that voted in the November election did.

if i look at the past 30 years, russia is far better. that doesn't mean it is great, but the antagonism of europe doesn't help that does it? with better relations, perhaps we could expect a shift toward something better. isn't that what we are supposed to be striving for in international relations?

vuk.
My Ukrainian and Estonian friends would strongly disagree with that statement. I'm sure Russian dissidents would say exactly the same. Let's not forget that Russia is a dictatorship where freedom of speech is a risk, not a right Also, can you remind me when was the last time the US government shot down a civilian airliner?

vuk.
Russia is an old empire and colonial power and still behaves like one. One with a chip on both shoulders, led by a bloke who believes the collapse of the Soviet Union is the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century. Without going back to the days of the tsars and just looking at the last 100 years, you have to admit Russia's record is pretty awful. It has behaved as an empire internally and as an aggressor and trouble maker externally. The more positive record of the last 30 years more is just as much due to getting kicked out of Afghanistan and running out of money as it is to any fundamental change of heart. The man at the top still thinks in terms of spheres of influence.

The US' record is not very good either. It has been pretty catastrophic in the last 30 years. I just hope that Trump's legal problems take up all his attention and he turns out better than Dubya. Reagan started out sounding like a maniac, but actually responded reasonably to Gorbachov when push came to shove.

advertisement

Back