advertisement

Trump Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing is most of the news reports I've seen make it clear these indictments *don't* claim to be evidence that the Trump campaign colluded with Russian agents. So Max Blumenthal's tweet addresses a non-issue. Sad!

However, (if true) the indictments *are* evidence of Russia trying to interfere (not necessarily successfully) with the US election, which is an interesting development in its own right. A monthly budget of one million dollars doesn't sound like small fry.

Indeed. Whilst Max’s chosen Russian media will never report it properly it is blindingly obvious there was one heck of a lot of political bot activity originating from within Russia both in the Trump election and in Brexit. This is simple proven fact ascertained from IP logs, registration emails etc etc. Facebook admit it, Twitter admit it, the logs prove it. Anyone still trying to deny it now is either a moron or alt-right propagandist.

There is also little if any doubt that Trump has done some remarkably dodgy deals with some very dubious Russian oligarchs and has very deliberately concealed his accounts etc to hide this fact (along with the fact he is likely hugely in debt rather than the “billionaire” he claims). Seth Abramson and others have this well documented. I will go buy a hat and eat it if this is not so.

These two points don’t need ‘collusion’ to be spectacularly damaging to Trump and his bunch of vile far-right con-artists. They are more than enough on their own.

I posted the link to the indictment document in the forlorn hope someone might read it.

It seems clear that:
  • There was contact, but no collusion reported as yet, between trump campaign people and the Russian agents. Given that a member of the team was Donnie Trump junior, there is a slight inference that some of the staffers were too credulous for their own good
  • Hillary Clinton was clearly targeted, and is the person who has the most right to be angry about the whole campaign. Even that oft-repeated soubriquet "Killary" was used against her. Also, spurious ads and quotes were spread over social media in a concerted campaign -
  • To get Bernie elected. Presumably this was because she was seen as a threat to Russia's interests, being an intelligent and respectable person
  • This was no small campaign. Millions were spent on it.
The indictment reads convincingly. The only query I'd have is the claim that the election was not influenced - well, they had to say that, didn't they?

Avole, I've skimmed it and I agree it looks cogent and credible.

Millions were indeed spent on this cam[paign and, significantly, a good deal of effort was made to conceal the funding sources.

This article gives a fair summary, I think:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...-russia-indictments-not-playing-around-217014

A couple of key quotes:
Supporters of the president have been quick to point out that the indictment does not allege purposeful cooperation between the Trump campaign and the Russians charged. Some, apparently including the president, have gone so far as to suggest that the indictment exonerates him, proving his frequent assertions of “no collusion.” It does nothing of the kind.

First, the indictment makes clear that some Trump campaign workers unwittingly worked with the Russian conspirators advancing this scheme, which is already a disturbing development. It also says that on repeated occasions the indicted individuals conspired with “persons known and unknown to the Grand Jury,” explicitly leaving open the possibility that others were involved.

More to the point, as elaborate as the charged scheme was, it is limited to one particular disinformation operation. The indictment does not even address many of the areas in which knowing cooperation between the Trump campaign and Russia would most likely have occurred if it did occur.

This indictment also makes it still harder for the president to fire Mueller. The special counsel now has outstanding charges, either through pleas or indictments, against 17 people and three organizations ranging from lying to investigators to a complex scheme to undermine the integrity of a U.S. presidential election. It can hardly be said that he has been ineffective, and it is difficult to imagine that a decision to fire him at this point could be seen as anything other than an effort to interfere with an investigation of the greatest national significance.

There's also a suggestion at the end of the article that Rick Gates (a senior member of the Trump campaign) is also ready to do a deal and testify against other people, so this is not the end of the matter.

I'm wondering if Mueller is also setting a slowly, slowly, catchy monkey trap - getting Trump & his coterie of fools to admit they were in contact "unwittingly" with Russians, thinking that the "unwitting" bit exonerates them.

The trap is when does unwitting become witting contact?

I'm wondering if Mueller is also setting a slowly, slowly, catchy monkey trap - getting Trump & his coterie of fools to admit they were in contact "unwittingly" with Russians, thinking that the "unwitting" bit exonerates them.

The trap is when does unwitting become witting contact?
My thoughts also. I very much hope it is correct.

But even if Mueller will attempt to bring charges, you'll never get the Trumpers to believe it. And you'll never get the Hannitys of this world to report Trump as being guilty of anything.

As so often, the top-rated comment on the Daily Mail article gives us a glimpse into the Trumpist mind: "13 facebook trolls, is that all it took to bring down the mighty Croooked Hildabeast? Good job, Russian trolls. And props to comrade Muellersky for identifying the heroes after 12 months work. Pardons and medals to all. And a special float for you in our military parade in DC. MAGA!"

So if the Putin plan was to sow discord, he's played a blinder. A large portion of the US population, including the president himself*, now trust the word of the Russian government over that of the FBI.

* https://www.vox.com/2017/11/11/16636906/trump-russia-putin-intelligence

But even if Mueller will attempt to bring charges, you'll never get the Trumpers to believe it. And you'll never get the Hannitys of this world to report Trump as being guilty of anything.
Yea but it exposes the depth of their denial which is worth doing even just to see the degree of craziness of these people - flushing out the crazies is worthwhile, I believe

What's happening with the Dem's rebuttal to Nunes' memo - it's out of the news - as usual, there's so much daily Trump related shit that it's hard to follow one thread.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...on-democrats-russia-memo-schiff-idUSKCN1G01S4

Despite the rather rude domain name, this site makes it easy to follow all that it worth following in the news media, organized by the number of days from the inauguration, with concise synopsis of each days events, each followed by a link to the full source...

https://whatthef**kjusthappenedtoday.com

Yes, ** = uc.

Despite the rather rude domain name, this site makes it easy to follow all that it worth following in the news media, organized by the number of days from the inauguration, with concise synopsis of each days events, each followed by a link to the full source...

https://whatthef**kjusthappenedtoday.com

Yes, ** = uc.
Thanks - that's useful & the site name does reflect the feeling of most people about the continual shit storm that is the hallmark of the Trump presidency & the media's reaction to him

Yea but it exposes the depth of their denial which is worth doing even just to see the degree of craziness of these people - flushing out the crazies is worthwhile, I believe

There's tens of millions of them. And there's plenty among them that are armed, dangerous and radicalized by the Internet.

Like the Florida school shooter appears to have been https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/16/us/exclusive-school-shooter-instagram-group/index.html

As I have said before, I don't see the Mueller investigation leading to the removal of Trump without major unrest in the US.

As I have said before, I don't see the Mueller investigation leading to the removal of Trump without major unrest in the US.

The removal would require one jury.

After which you may get unrest. We have seen The Daily Mail brand judges "traitors" for doing their job, for example.

Those who dismissed the idea that Mueller was ready to hand down more than a dozen indictments are strangely quiet today.

Monday is Morgestraich, the start of Basel's annual three-day Fasnacht calendar. I'm sure Donald will be the sujet on many of the big lanterns as he was in the German carnivals (awkwardly Protestant Basel holds its carnival the week after Lent). Here's a rather appropriate German offering:

image-1249628-860_poster_16x9-yuns-1249628.jpg

As ever with Mueller's Friday moves, one gets the impression that this is a setup for the next step and the idea is to have various people "consider their options" before everything moves on. There's a lot left unsaid about who the "known and unknown" co-conspirators are.

It's part 9,867 of 'He didn't? He did...'

He actually posted this: "Very sad that the FBI missed all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter. This is not acceptable. They are spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign - there is no collusion. Get back to the basics and make us all proud!" https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/965075589274177536

He's a wrecking ball for America. Revulsion at how low he'll go on one side of the political divide versus lots of "He's right" on the other side.

I suspect if Putin did think he could help swing things towards getting a President Trump, even he can't have imagined just how well it's turned out.

He actually posted this: "Very sad that the FBI missed all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter. This is not acceptable. They are spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign - there is no collusion. Get back to the basics and make us all proud!" https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/965075589274177536

Because of course an organisation as big as the FBI can only do one thing at once. He must think people are stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back