advertisement

(Long, scathing) Article on Spotify

I read this recently. I have, but don't use Spotify, and mainly go to Bandcamp to discover new music. I pay for it and download it, never use playlists, and use Qobuz to stream oddities I don't already have.
The idea of playlists over which artists have no control is horrendous.

Link works for me!
Have moved from Spotify to Tidal but do miss Discover Weekly. If Spotify went lossless I would move back tomorrow.

If it wasn't for cheap streaming services the kids would just steal the music. I think musicians have to accept that the days of personal jets and limousines are over. Just a low to medium income if you are lucky.

I think musicians have to accept that the days of personal jets and limousines are over.

Try telling Ed Sheeran that; his net worth was $65 million at the last count. You're dreaming if you think that there are not loads of people making a whole bunch of money out of the music scene.

Good read that. I use Deezer for discovering new music and try before you buy listening, mainly just through brand loyalty.

I used to use Spotify but don't like the interface. Will definitely think twice before using it again. What she doesn't mention there is the scandal a while back of them using their own music in playlists to avoid paying royalties to anyone else.

I read this recently. I have, but don't use Spotify, and mainly go to Bandcamp to discover new music. I pay for it and download it, never use playlists, and use Qobuz to stream oddities I don't already have.
The idea of playlists over which artists have no control is horrendous.

I have yet to try Tidal, but for my purposes Qobuz and, to a lesser extent, Spotify have too much catalogue missing to make them a true alternative to curating your own music collection.

Why is it any different from creating a playlist on your own device, or hopping from one disc to another manually?
It's that brands are creating playlists as if they were regular users (and these are being pushed by Spotify). So the question is, how is Starbucks putting a band on its playlist different from Starbucks paying a band to use its song for for an advert? And the answer is, it isn't - except that the band doesn't get a choice in the matter and doesn't get paid. "Automated selling out," the author calls it. Good article.

Why is it any different from creating a playlist on your own device, or hopping from one disc to another manually?

It's that brands are creating playlists as if they were regular users (and these are being pushed by Spotify). So the question is, how is Starbucks putting a band on its playlist different from Starbucks paying a band to use its song for for an advert? And the answer is, it isn't - except that the band doesn't get a choice in the matter and doesn't get paid. "Automated selling out," the author calls it. Good article.
'Nuff said.

I have yet to try Tidal, but for my purposes Qobuz and, to a lesser extent, Spotify have too much catalogue missing to make them a true alternative to curating your own music collection.
My music collection is CD (ripped or not), LP, and bought downloads (mainly Bandcamp at the moment, but some jazz or classical from other sources). Qobuz is for fun. So basically I am in agreement with you. (Shock horror! :D)

... is it any different from Starbucks, Costa or whoever playing a music selection on random shuffle in-store, except the artist gets paid a minimal amount, non-specific to them, through licencing for public playing of music?

They still get no control over when they get played. And, as was said above, artists have no control over radio stations. How would Steeleye Span feel, for instance, about being sandwiched between The Damned and The Dictators on Peel in 1997?

Sorry, 1977. And it may not have been The Dictators for certain (have to check the tape), but Steeleye Span and The Damned were definitely side-by-side.

Try telling Ed Sheeran that; his net worth was $65 million at the last count. You're dreaming if you think that there are not loads of people making a whole bunch of money out of the music scene.

The scales are tipped massively towards the top. Ed Sheeran is one of the current behemoths of the industry. Taylor Swift is doing fine too. But for artists at the other end, there's nothing like the money there used to be. Physical format sales are a fraction of what they used to be, and aren't compensated for by the money Spotify plays etc generate unless you're big enough for it to hardly matter.

Here's blog in a rather similar vein, pointing out some consequences of the streaming revolution in general: http://www.skylarkensemble.org/blog
I read that, and whole I agree with his conclusions (broadly), his Amazon figures look totally cockeyed. As far as I can see they don't take 50% of the sale price, or anywhere near. A pity, as it weakens his whole argument, and makes one question all his other figures.

advertisement

Back