advertisement

(Long, scathing) Article on Spotify

Try telling Ed Sheeran that; his net worth was $65 million at the last count. You're dreaming if you think that there are not loads of people making a whole bunch of money out of the music scene.
I think there are less people making big money though. And loads more making nothing. I ran a label until 2014. In the beginning I could get rid of 500 records. By the end my best was 250. 100 became the norm.

I make my own playlists, just compilations. I cont think I will ever listen to anyone else;s playlist on spotify. Normally I search artist, click all albums and play an album.

Why is it any different from creating a playlist on your own device, or hopping from one disc to another manually?
he refer to croporate-sponsored playlists that are created by them and spotify, shoved in your face and tend to exclude artists not on big labels. Avoid.

... is it any different from Starbucks, Costa or whoever playing a music selection on random shuffle in-store, except the artist gets paid a minimal amount, non-specific to them, through licencing for public playing of music?

They still get no control over when they get played. And, as was said above, artists have no control over radio stations. How would Steeleye Span feel, for instance, about being sandwiched between The Damned and The Dictators on Peel in 1997?
It's a bit different, they are trying to control what gets played in your home too.

advertisement

Back