advertisement

Trump Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Merlin but boycotting all American products because of Trump is a bit like banning all Muslims from entering your country in case one of them might be a terrorist. I don't think a knee-jerk emotional reaction like a blanket ban is helpful at all. There are plenty of Americans that hate Trump and all he stands for just as much as you or I!

I fully appreciate your position Nick - we can agree to disagree. I'm just past thinking of helpful solutions - the time for logic passed a long time ago. The US today had the nerve to criticise the UN for being anti Israel and for hurting the peace process. I'd have voted to exclude the bi*ch from the chamber.

Staff at our restaurant are reporting likely Americans to me and we have already thrown three out (well explained why they were not welcome in a Muslim run restaurant.). Trust me, it was worth it to see their faces :) Hopefully the message will get back to their friends in the States. I am now openly hostile to Americans I'm afraid.

I have to admit I find that behaviour just as blatantly racist/bigoted as anything David Duke, Nick Griffin, Nigel Farage, “Tommy Robinson”, ISIS or whatever could think up and I’d certainly ban it from this site. Very Express/Mail.

I have to admit I find that behaviour just as blatantly racist/bigoted as anything David Duke, Nick Griffin, Nigel Farage, “Tommy Robinson”, ISIS or whatever could think up and I’d certainly ban it from this site. Very Express/Mail.
I suspect it could be counterproductive in the longer term. Word will get round, via the likes of TripAdvisor or whoever, and people will start to assume that non-Muslims are made to feel unwelcome, not just Merkins.

Or that it is some fundamentalist Islamist/fascist entity, which might draw uneanted attention from the real thing who wouldn’t tolerate alcohol or people having any fun!

I think of it as Apartheid Tony. If you think Apartheid was also a racist and fascist movement and that the likes of Stevie Wonder were extremists then so be it Tony. I think you are mistaken.

It is *exactly* the same as say a taxi driver refusing to pick up a Muslim guy because he associates that race/religion with say the Manchester bombing. It is racial stereotyping of the very worst and most bigoted kind.

Decent and intelligent people judge others on their individual behaviour, not on racial or geographical stereotyping. Honestly you are no better than the Daily Mail/Express or EDL on this. Really disgraceful behaviour.

I fully appreciate your position Nick - we can agree to disagree. I'm just past thinking of helpful solutions - the time for logic passed a long time ago. The US today had the nerve to criticise the UN for being anti Israel and for hurting the peace process. I'd have voted to exclude the bi*ch from the chamber.

Staff at our restaurant are reporting likely Americans to me and we have already thrown three out (well explained why they were not welcome in a Muslim run restaurant.). Trust me, it was worth it to see their faces :) Hopefully the message will get back to their friends in the States. I am now openly hostile to Americans I'm afraid.
The problem is that those people in your restaurant are more likely to be opposed to the actions of their government than in favor - remember the voting figures. I appreciate why feelings would be high, but discussion would seem the better option, otherwise you and your staff are just as bad as those you are ejecting.

Have you got a sign up saying Americans not welcome?

Merlin, if you feel you must do something why not put up a sign saying supporters of Trump and the apartheid state are not welcome?

Target the right people.

PS, if I were in your shoes I'd keep my business separate from my politics. You may bring trouble upon your family.

That's a really stupid suggestion. Putting up a sign like that would really heap trouble on the heads of his family.

Veiled threats and denunciations from Il Duce, with the malignant promise of more to come-

Trump also warned darkly about “very bad, evil people” who were trying to sabotage his effort to “drain the swamp”. He said the system was “corrupt” and “rigged” but insisted they were being stopped.

But the crowd, which cheered particularly for Trump’s statement “we believe that every American should have to stand for the national anthem”, seemed unfazed by the dark forces menacing. They embraced Trump’s belief “our revolution didn’t end on November 8, it’s just beginning”, that America was once again on its road to being great again and his wishes for a merry Christmas. And even if they didn’t, they cheered Trump as he left the stage to artificial snow being blasted down from rafters on to the crowd.
-The Guardian.

How should the nation deal with the "very bad, evil people"?

I think of it as Apartheid Tony. If you think Apartheid was also a racist and fascist movement and that the likes of Stevie Wonder were extremists then so be it Tony. I think you are mistaken.

Apartheid is exactly that Merlin, racist and fascist! As Tony says, this is exactly the same sort of behavior as the far-right You are making a big mistake.

The furthest I would go in Mike’s situation would be to refuse to serve someone in a MAGA hat or t-shirt (e.g. MaxFlinn!). Other than that assume they are decent and intelligent people until they prove otherwise.

PS That is the approach I run here, e.g. anyone actively supporting Britain First, the EDL or whatever is right out the door.

It is *exactly* the same as say a taxi driver refusing to pick up a Muslim guy because he associates that race/religion with say the Manchester bombing. It is racial stereotyping of the very worst and most bigoted kind.

Decent and intelligent people judge others on their individual behaviour, not on racial or geographical stereotyping. Honestly you are no better than the Daily Mail/Express or EDL on this. Really disgraceful behaviour.

OK Tony. You are entitled to your opinion. FWIW it's normal in Thailand. They aren't as hung up on "racial stereotyping" as we are. There are Khun Thai and there are Farang. Two races.

I don't think of it in that way obviously but you tell me. How do you protest against what America and Israel are doing?

You see the problem for me is that most of them, having been there on many occasions, simply are not exposed to just how unpopular they are. Neither are they aware of the misery and mayhem their nation causes across the land. If you hold up a banner in Trafalgar Square, ninety percent of Americans will be oblivious to the fact.

Just as their nation considers it acceptable to attack the UN for doing its job, many Americans will think that is acceptable.

So how do you protest? How do you get your voice heard over there? How do you persuade Trump voters that they are causing misery and death? What did you do about the anti Apartheid movement and its boycott of South African product? How did you feel about many people around the world refusing to interact with White South Africans.

When you answer those questions honestly (and I hope you will to enlighten me), then we can discuss whether treating citizens of a racist state that threatens world peace with disdain and hostility is unwarranted.

As I said before, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to get through to most Americans is to let them feel as they make others feel and see how they like it. Those with a brain might try to engage and to apologise for the actions of their government in which case we will have an interesting conversation. Those that don't, or insist on America first, are deserving of the abuse they will then get. They are also left in no doubt as to why this is the case.

Those yesterday were told that, as decent human beings, we cannot condone in anyway the racist, fascist behaviour of the US administration and that they were the victims of it as now they might appreciate a little of how the world feels about their government.

FWIW, they have started a war by making the unilateral Jerusalem declaration. You cannot surely let that pass?

So how do you protest? How do you get your voice heard over there? How do you persuade Trump voters that they are causing misery and death? What did you do about the anti Apartheid movement and its boycott of South African product? How did you feel about many people around the world refusing to interact with White South Africans.

You target your protest. If you really want your bar to be a political statement stick up some anti-Trump/Republican and Netanyahu/Likud posters, even some that are pro-Hamas/Hezbollah if you really want to get involved with all that crap. Give the drinks amusing names or whatever and obviously don’t use any products or services that can be traced back to Republican, Trump, Likud etc donations or party support.

To be honest I think what you are doing is beyond daft and quite offensive. You will make zero impact as America is a huge country and you have a tiny bar, and more significantly no one will care as there are no doubt other bars. Far better to engage with the subject in an intelligent manner and attempt to change minds. I also run a small buisiness, this place, and I guarantee my impact will be exponentially more than anything you could achieve by annoying a couple of American tourists who are likely liberals anyway (the fundamentalist rednecks tend not to travel). I’ve met a lot of Americans in my time as I was an IT Manager for a couple of household-name multi-nationals and without exception they were decent articulate and intelligent people. blunt-force bigotry will get you nowhere.

Do you ban Jewish people too? What about Americans who are Moslem, that must be tricky. Perhaps you could get people to fill out a questionnaire about their political and religious beliefs before they’re seated.

Actually that's a good idea although it might prevent the interesting dialogue.
While less inflammatory than Flinn's suggestion, I'd still counsel against it. I'm guessing you're in the area of Thailand which the military government thinks is the home of the unrest and the bombings in Bangkok and in the south. You're also aware that governors of provinces are all now members of ISOC. Plus, the Thai government welcomed the election of Trump as it thought it would be easier to buy arms. It would seem to me that an over-zealous local authority would quickly clamp down on signs like that, to the detriment of the people concerned. Take care.

A least you admit your solution isn't helpful. Hate, for the most part, just gets you more hate back. And it will occur to others, if not you, that one should never do an enemy a small hurt, for that reason.

This report, if true, indicates you've gone over to the dark side. Good luck getting back, may it be soon.

Two days too late (Dec. 7) for your very own personal "Day Of Infamy". Tora! Tora! Tora! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back