advertisement

NAC52 consider reference?

Thanks Abbydog man you make sense. But your wrong lol he he.
Technically correct. Emotionally I find the Dr detached. This is interesting for me. Live sound vs studio sound. I know which one I prefer. Fantastic post man thanks. I think I understand him now......he’s a knob lol

Naim cds3 and Nac 52 work superbly together. I use this pairing. So good (imo) I've often thought they must have developed the cds3 using a 52 ? Anyhow , fabulous combination. The Nap 135's were great in their day. I still like them and have had 3 pairs over the years. However, the cds3/52 can benefit from having better power amps attached. Whether that be from Naim or other manufacturers. In my case a Dynavector HX 1.2 , Chord 1200C and Densen B330+ have all been used to great effect , with various speakers. Not familiar with the Naim power 300DR or 500 models.

I am no longer a fan of Naim , but I can guarantee that a 282 with HiCaps and 250 wouldn't come close to a 252/SC/135's. Remember that the 500 is basically 2x 135's bolted together, it really isn't that much more technical. The 300 on the other hand is a much different beast, using much more updated technology, and is a worthy upgrade to the 135's.

Reference is a term I don't like, it is very subjective, so I would struggle with it.

I have been looking outside of the Naim world after recently seeing the light per se, and have been shocked how good some of the other equipment is available out there.

The CDS3 however is a very accomplished CD player and in my opinion a significant upgrade over the CDS2.

Very interesting reply. I can remember having a short but interesting debate with you last year... I think.
Please note not a 252 but very updated and Naim recently serviced 52 that was created in the year of our lord 2000.

I can say I have some interest in a Nac 500, it has 4 x less noise floor than a 135+ a separate box for power supply +3 levels or so of circuitboard internal isolation. I would suggest 135’s wouldn’t even come close to a nac 500 seriously. In fact I can confidently say the 500 desecrates from the very high height over the nac 135’s. Now the nac 300 which I have also experienced in depth is more like the sound of Nac 250.2 which imo sucks. I would call it outside the note where the nac 135 and nac 500 is so inside the note you may as well be at the desk of the sound man. Naim boxes have a very finicky set up and produce different results depending on rack,power supply, cables, etc this is one of naim’s main ideology’s. To get the full name impact you basically have to go full naim, if you start mixing things up it sucks. Synergy is the word I’m looking for. Interesting JV was involved in the development of the nac 500 where as far as I know (and I’m probably wrong) the 250.2 and 300 he was not (like say I could be wrong but to me It stands out to be logical)Nac 500 and Nac 135 sound similar just at different levels. Where Nac 250.2 and 300 are a world away, like on mars imo
I’m not trying to preach to you and I’m sure you know your stuff, but man quoting a nac 500 is like 2x135 is just so ridiculous it’s laughable. Cheers though peace be with you brother.

Last edited:
Ok so maybe the information I had about the 500 was wrong, but there was honestly no need for you to put something as rude as ridiculous and laughable, have you never made a mistake in your life?, I very much doubt it, so please refrain from that it really doesn't help.

The ironic thing was that I was supporting your claim that your system should be better than your friends, but hey, you find the one thing I said which may have been wrong, sure it made you feel big and powerful!

My understanding, misguided or not was that the 500 was effectively 2x 135's in the same box. What I have been told is that it still uses the same aged technology as the 250 and 250.2 which I understand to be effectively the same. The biggest change that Naim have made to their amplifier designs in recent times has been the 300, DR technology and Statement, oh and obviously the one box soltuions, otherwise it has been incremental changes.

In spite of all of this, I personally am no fan of Naim, I think their amps are far, far too bright sounding and have very limited sound stage, oh and you are paying for the name, so they are too expensive for my liking, I have also heard a lot better for similar and a lot less value.

Dude sorry if I offended you. Not what I intended to do at all. Sorry, really I appreciate your input thank you. I think we all must get over the technology factor. Some is an improvement some is not some is a cost savings like the NAP300. Strings on Instruments still sound the same right?
As far as Naim Audio, imo just go for jugular every time, don’t waste your time with entry level or mid, it ends up costing more. I’m sorry your over it as the brand has sooo much more than most have ever discovered. As I said sorry dude. Nac 500 is stupidly good with the correct set up and input really.
Some folks just love to hate what’s good. Tall poppy syndrome

Last edited:
FYI Im sitting here listening to the big olive system on phased mana no powerlines (yuk f’s the timing) I have credo speakers (waiting to get SL2 next week) muddy waters folk singer I think 1958 recording on the cds 2 and wow what a pleasure indeed. It’s so amazingly good, the timing is spot on the sound stage unbelievable. These 20 year old credos are set up just right and very old technology but would come in at least 5x they’re secondhand value and some. Technology is a joke unless it is making coffee. I really wouldn’t get caught up in the technology quagmire. Sounds good means sound good.

Dude sorry if I offended you. Not what I intended to do at all. Sorry, really I appreciate your input thank you. I think we all must get over the technology factor. Some is an improvement some is not some is a cost savings like the NAP300. Strings on Instruments still sound the same right?
As far as Naim Audio, imo just go for jugular every time, don’t waste your time with entire level or mid, it ends up costing more. I’m sorry your over it as the brand has sooo much more than most have ever discovered. As I said sorry dude. Nac 500 is stupidly good with the correct set up and input really.
Some folks just love to hate what’s good. Tall poppy syndrome

Thank you for your apology. I agree that technology doesn't always make a difference, I however do like and rate the 300, although preferring it once it has been DR'd. My Dad uses one with a 252, SC and CDS3/XPS2 and it sounds very nice indeed.

Interestingly, I have never rated any of the 500 range, except possibly the 555 power supply, which to me is a significant upgrade on the XPS2. The 500 amp to me sounds marginally better, and honestly only marginally to my ears better than a 300DR and is obviously stupidly more expensive. I never liked the 555 CD Payer or the 552 pre amp and power supply.

For me, Exposure make similarly sounding amplification, but with a wider and deeper soundstage and with a marginally warmer tonality, for a lot less money. There are many other brands out there too, that for me compete with Naim but for a lot less money. But we are all different and Hifi is a very subjective subject.

I won't comment on Naim speakers, I have never liked any of their speakers, apart from maybe the N-Sats.

Re power cables, I have an MCRU cable which I bought from a friend second hand and compared it to the Naim Powerline when my Dad was thinking about buying them, and the MCRU cable was a different league altogether and retailed (it's no longer made) for a lot less than the Naim cable.

Although I accept and understand that not everyone believes that cables make a difference.

Cables make a very big diff. Just with my olive boxes the standard works best for me. I have had star earthing boxes and powerlines all over the show, but yet at the end of the day I like the standard ones. Powerlines just kill the timing on my kit. I have a really awesome mains spur going on, piggy backed plugs and a switchless wall plug with big fat cables right out to the mains bus which is really a big size of brass to boot. Then a really big earth wire 50mm squared to a copper earth spike, over indulgence you could say, oh I forgot to mention the big 30 amp ceramic fuse from the 1940s on the switchboard LOL
Yes each to his own for sure. I like the live sounding music guess my olive factor. I just can’t do dr at all. To smooth for me doesn’t light up imo. Have played ALOT with it, think naim’s gone all digital when I’m trying to go all analog to tell the truth. I have yet to lp12 but I will get it one day. It is a Journey after all.

Wow that is an impressive electrical setup you have there. I have recently proved that my mains is clearly flawed, my friend brought around a series of boxes and mains purifiers and the difference they made was astounding, one day I will be maybe able to do something about it.

I downgraded from an older LP12 to a Rega RP3 to release some capital from the Record Player (we have recently had our first child, so we needed to release funds) and I have to admit, that I think I prefer the Rega, not sure it has the same level of detail as the LP12, but to my ears it is easier to listen to.

My Dad's system is too forward for me, but he really likes it, and again that is all that matters.

You are right, Naim are moving more towards the digital world and IMHO wider commercial world too, with all of their Muso's and other pretty boxes with no substance. Interestingly, I have always preferred the sound of the latest Black boxes to the Olive though, and that is probably because I prefer the slightly warmer sound they bring, but can understand why people like yourself would prefer the Olive sound. However, interestingly, I preferred the sound of the Chrome bumper kit even more so than the Black or Olive kit. There was just something about it.

Wow pj you must have listened to a a massive range of Naim equipment chrome bumper, olive, black including some of the new stuff ("Musos and other pretty boxes with no substance.") and all their speakers ("I have never liked any of their speakers"). Big undertaking to both source and set up the listening given all the combinations. Are you a professional reviewer of some standing?

LOL John, no I am not, but I have been to a lot of shows and been to a lot of Hifi show rooms. I have also heard a lot of friends and forum members systems in my time.

I haven't heard every bit of Naim kit, and I very much doubt everyone has, but what I have heard I have a view on.

I have sat in many a room when people were saying wonderful things about Naim speakers and have ever time walked out thinking meh, or they were ok. Nothing like the sort of view others appear to have. Not knocking their opinions, but they are clear just not for me.

As above, the only time I had a positive experience with their speakers, was with the N-Sat's, although they were playing through a Naim AV system, so hardly comparable to stereo hifi.

So I’m told nice 2008 black pair. Should look the bees knees next the mana.
Have an experienced friend to set them up for me. Should be a couple of beers getting consumed at the end of the day.

I have sat in many a room when people were saying wonderful things about Naim speakers and have ever time walked out thinking meh, or they were ok. Nothing like the sort of view others appear to have. Not knocking their opinions, but they are clear just not for me.

As above, the only time I had a positive experience with their speakers, was with the N-Sat's, although they were playing through a Naim AV system, so hardly comparable to stereo hifi.

I’m not a big S400/S600 fan. The older speakers do it for me. They are dreadful if not setup correctly though. Seem to have some more focus imo. Think I’m going to enjoy the SL2 speaker. I hope so....

I swapped 135s serviced about a year before to a 500.
500 was a small to medium step up.
135s better VFM, not better
Rest of system then
Naim CDX2, 82 with one HiCap I think, late model Isobariks.
All on Mana, mains cables Russ Andrews Signatures

82 later upgraded to a fabulous Pass Labs Xp20, currently for sale as I stepped up another notch to a Belles Pre, 500 to a Chord SPM1200E

advertisement

Back