advertisement

NAC52 consider reference?

MrPinkEyes

Come on Pooh
So I’m having a bit of a debate with a good friend of mine, if my 2000 naim serviced nac 52 and 2000 SC with 1988 serviced 135 ‘s and 2002 CDS2 on phased mane would be considered reference? He is running a 2 x HiCap dr into 282 cds3 XP’s dr to 250 dr. He seems to think its far superior. I find it over based little sound stages and like main steam hifi. What have I missed? It’s been a bit personal btw hehe funny that. He is a long time naim fan and thinks dr is the new naim god. I think it’s the new naim answer to after market PS and has completely turned the sound into studio production with no fire and boring so to speak however it still has the pRat, but to me it’s just like all the other main stream hifi out there:)
Please advise best regards​

Last edited:
If you like the sound of yours, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Reference? Is there a standard set of requirements for a system to be considered a reference system? That term always struck me as very 'Stereophile'.

One of the things Naim impresses with is the consistency of their product hierarchy. In my experience, as you progress through the ranges you do get genuine (though exponentially more expensive!) improvement.

Your NAC52/SCap was the finest pre Naim could produce at the time - and was considered up to scratch to launch the NAP500, for example.

The friend’s NAC282 is 4th in the current line-up (Statement, 552, 252), and running with a sub-optimal Naim power supply arrangement.

Similar story with the NAP135s, which were top of the tree and are still very capable amplifiers, vice the NAP250 which sits behind the NAP300, NAP500 and again the Statement.

By Naim’s reckoning yours is the far superior system, and would be my preferred choice also. Might be worth considering some servicing though?

Does another's opinion really matter ? If you like your system then great , stop worrying about it.Have the units serviced if you must to put your mind at rest.BTW I would prefer the 52 based system but this is my own preference only.

Does another's opinion really matter ? If you like your system then great , stop worrying about it.Have the units serviced if you must to put your mind at rest.BTW I would prefer the 52 based system but this is my own preference only.
Thanks for the reply’s. All units serviced as stated.
I’m not worried at all just interested in other forum members opinions. Cheers

Two different Naim sounds, Olive or Classic Black, and two different levels of equipment, 52 vs 282. Most folks that like the overal Naim approach tend to go one way or the other (although some like to mix it up).
My preference is for Olive and the 52/135s over a Black 282/250 everytime, but then that's what I have too :)

One of the things Naim impresses with is the consistency of their product hierarchy. In my experience, as you progress through the ranges you do get genuine (though exponentially more expensive!) improvement.

Your NAC52/SCap was the finest pre Naim could produce at the time - and was considered up to scratch to launch the NAP500, for example.

The friend’s NAC282 is 4th in the current line-up (Statement, 552, 252), and running with a sub-optimal Naim power supply arrangement.

Similar story with the NAP135s, which were top of the tree and are still very capable amplifiers, vice the NAP250 which sits behind the NAP300, NAP500 and again the Statement.

By Naim’s reckoning yours is the far superior system, and would be my preferred choice also. Might be worth considering some servicing though?

100% agree with this :)

I cannot help but see the 52 as Naim’s response to the number of £5k Audio Research SP10s and SP11s sold here back in the day. I see it as a two box version of a 72 which adds remote control and a bigger power supply (surprise) but not a lot else. Mine lost some of the attractive qualities of the 72. The original version with the 52ps is better than the Supercap bodge in my book. It is still bandwidth limited and sounds shut in. Never compare one to, say, an ARC SP8 and use of the word reference near one. Like world class, it is giggle inducing. Look out for the strange effects of the power supply dumping gobs of energy at odd moments into the music. Lovely. Incidentally, my 500 was a gutless bridged power amp bettered by the 300. Don’t play either of them near a pair of chrome bumper 135s or you’ll understand about consistency. Good luck finding speakers for any of it - oh, genuine improvements there all right.

I cannot help but see the 52 as Naim’s response to the number of £5k Audio Research SP10s and SP11s sold here back in the day. I see it as a two box version of a 72 which adds remote control and a bigger power supply (surprise) but not a lot else. Mine lost some of the attractive qualities of the 72. The original version with the 52ps is better than the Supercap bodge in my book. It is still bandwidth limited and sounds shut in. Never compare one to, say, an ARC SP8 and use of the word reference near one. Like world class, it is giggle inducing. Look out for the strange effects of the power supply dumping gobs of energy at odd moments into the music. Lovely. Incidentally, my 500 was a gutless bridged power amp bettered by the 300. Don’t play either of them near a pair of chrome bumper 135s or you’ll understand about consistency. Good luck finding speakers for any of it - oh, genuine improvements there all right.
Thanks for your opinion, but what about the question?:)
With ref to the 500 I’ve found them to be absolutely mind shattering stunning . With enough grant power steam train. Thought it was in a full Naim 500 system with some £25,000 sondus Faber speaker hanging off it. I would new ever mix and match other audio brands, could find some unsuitable synergy going on there for sure. You may even blame Naim for the drama.......however we all have different life experiences and budgets and friends and we’ll drink different alcohol so who knows

If by reference you mean the system against which all others are judged the answer is no. If your friend thinks his system sounds better than yours and you think yours sounds better than his than you're both happy. Why do you need external endorsement?

my 2000 naim serviced nac 52 and 2000 SC with 1988 serviced 135 ‘s​

Not quite the subject of your thread, but I would suggest that your amps are due a service!

A 135 that has not been serviced in 29 years is not giving of its best.

With everything running right, the comparison with your friend system would be much more interesting.

D

its a debate mate not a he tells me his new dr 282 and XP’s dr nap 250 dr is a far superior system that the serviced 52 XP’s CDS2 Supercap and 135’s.if possible all I need from you is not an endorsement and Just an opinion. Thanks

Not quite the subject of your thread, but I would suggest that your amps are due a service!

A 135 that has not been serviced in 29 years is not giving of its best.

With everything running right, the comparison with your friend system would be much more interesting.

D
Ok thanks man. As stated ALL BOXES HAVE BEEN NAIM SERVICED thank the 135’5 done in 2014 cheers

My opinion is that the 250DR is as good as the old 135s in terms of speed and dynamics but better refinement and much quieter background. The CDS3 builds on the strength of the CDS2 but manages to extract more detail while retaining easy listening with no harshness. So not surprised that your friend finds his system superior. Not heard the 52 compared to the 282 but on paper the 52 should be better as it was Naim's flagship model, however I doubt this would shift the balance in favour of your system as the 282 is very good in its own right.

advertisement

Back