advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXII)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other side of that, there are a few on here that think the EU is good because it keeps the dodginess in check. Fishing, something we are keenly aware of from Hull, is a biggy. Not just small print on some minor issue like the shape of bananas.

Looking good for the post-Brexit car industry...

"Honda UK telling MPs it imports 2 million components a day from Europe on 350 trucks and holds 1 hours worth of stock. It would take 18 months to put customs admin in place but every 15 minutes of delay would cost £850,000 a hour. That's not including WTO tariffs of 10% and 4.5%." https://twitter.com/RobertsDan/status/930449800297897985

The only thing that could stop Brexit is the (sizeable) Brexit wing of the Tories fessing up that they're a bunch of jingoistic charlatans who conned the public into thinking Brexit was doable by an incompetent government. I think the chance of this happening is precisely 0%.

This is very close to my heart as my brother works for Honda in Swindon. To say that he is apoplectic with rage about Brexit and the Tories would be an understatement.

But people in Swindon voted for Brexit, so it is yet another case of turkeys voting for Christmas...

RD Shell, Unilever, Relx(reedelsevier) confirmed they "told" new government about intentions to leave the Netherlands for UK unless.... Dutch PM refused to name companies in parliament, but those three made press statements after PM's refusal, other company names also feature in newspaper articles here. Parliament asked why, if everybody thinks companies will be leaving UK, we need to give them additional benefits, PM's answer, companies told government they seriously considered going reverse direction and we, the Netherlands, do not want to become Belgium. Ofcourse Belgium finance minister responded over the weekend LOL

On the other side of that, there are a few on here that think the EU is good because it keeps the dodginess in check..
I know, I've been running a countdown calendar on the phone to see how long before you get your collar felt in Strasbourg aka Euromaniac Central.

"Honda UK telling MPs it imports 2 million components a day from Europe on 350 trucks and holds 1 hours worth of stock. It would take 18 months to put customs admin in place but every 15 minutes of delay would cost £850,000 a hour. That's not including WTO tariffs of 10% and 4.5%." https://twitter.com/RobertsDan/status/930449800297897985

The only thing that could stop Brexit is the (sizeable) Brexit wing of the Tories fessing up that they're a bunch of jingoistic charlatans who conned the public into thinking Brexit was doable by an incompetent government. I think the chance of this happening is precisely 0%.
I hope IDS, Gove, Fox, Davis, Mogg, Johnson and the other slightly less prominent clownsticks get their wish for a hard on Brexit. Then I want to see them on the BBC making an emergency appeal for calm when all this kicks off.

"Honda UK telling MPs it imports 2 million components a day from Europe on 350 trucks and holds 1 hours worth of stock. It would take 18 months to put customs admin in place but every 15 minutes of delay would cost £850,000 a hour. That's not including WTO tariffs of 10% and 4.5%."
%.

We also won't be able to export cars to those countries the EU already has a preferential trade deal with. The numpties in the Government thought we could just copy and paste trade deals.

Stephen

I know, I've been running a countdown calendar on the phone to see how long before you get your collar felt in Strasbourg aka Euromaniac Central.
I don't think anyone genuinely gives a shit here, Dec. Just a few fishies and the Guardan mostly.

I'm safe. For now....

I don't think anyone genuinely gives a shit here, Dec. Just a few fishies and the Guardan mostly.

I'm safe. For now....
Precisely. "They're going to be begging us to stay in, wait till the German car plants hear we're going to play hard ball, the workers will make Merkel stand down if we walk away, they need us. Everyone loves us, we're special- even when we're over there shoving their ******s off the metro while we're singin our songs. They'll collapse without us".

Rich, get out on the streets and warn them.

Sadly I have supplier issues to sort, Dec. I placed a big order in August for the Xmas rush and it looks like they are not going to deliver in time. Foreign heads will roll.

Jacob Rees Mogg today claimed that the UK could expect a £135bn boost to the economy in the first five years following a hard Brexit. He was endorsing the work of a group called Economists for Free Trade, headed by Patrick Minford, which came up with the figure on the assumption that the UK would adopt policies of free trade, deregulation and low taxation.

Not necessarily. For those that own property or other investments they may actually be better off. Remember that these will also increase by 3% maybe more maybe less.
Cheers,
DV

Not UK property - that's falling in price and priced in a falling currency. Non-UK property may increase in price, but is likely a second home so subject to all manner of taxes when you come to sell it, and perhaps even before if the current trend toward punishing foreign property owners continues.

Economists for Free Trade used to be called Economists for Brexit. It is a small group. Their model is completely at odds with those used by the Bank of England and the Treasury. It apparently contains some fairly "brave" assumptions, such as ignoring the effect distance has on trade relationships, assuming that import costs could be cut by 10% just by switching from EU sources to low cost countries ignoring quality, etc.

Full LSE critique of Minford's paper: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/brexit06.pdf

So basically they are wrong then!

I wonder if they took into account the loss of companies like Honda. I doubt it very much.

I believe that they believe their assumptions are less assumptive than the Treasury's assumptions, which makes them a bunch of assumptholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back