advertisement

Owen Jones packs in social media

Snowflake refers to undergraduates who want to ban anything which could potentially offend them or their peers. They tend to be found in some of the posher unis in the UK and US. For instance the Rhodes must fall group from Oxford university successfully managed to get the Rhodes statue taken down from Oriel college. Just so it didn't offend their sensitive eyes any longer, poor little privileged things. And so on, student unions banning star wars stormtrooper costumes, or Mexican sombreros because of cultural insensitivity, you really couldn't make it up. As for Jones leaving social media, good for him, I wouldn't call him a snowflake, if he finds it counter productive to his work, fine, I personally have little respect for idiots who spend every 5 mins checking their 'Twitter feeds'.

Snowflake refers to undergraduates who want to ban anything which could potentially offend them or their peers. They tend to be found in some of the posher unis in the UK and US. For instance the Rhodes must fall group from Oxford university successfully managed to get the Rhodes statue taken down from Oriel college. Just so it didn't offend their sensitive eyes any longer, poor little privileged things. And so on, student unions banning star wars stormtrooper costumes, or Mexican sombreros because of cultural insensitivity, you really couldn't make it up. As for Jones leaving social media, good for him, I wouldn't call him a snowflake, if he finds it counter productive to his work, fine, I personally have little respect for idiots who spend every 5 mins checking their 'Twitter feeds'.

Yet I suspect somebody may have done.

Utter nonsense.

Snowflake refers to undergraduates who want to ban anything which could potentially offend them or their peers. They tend to be found in some of the posher unis in the UK and US. For instance the Rhodes must fall group from Oxford university successfully managed to get the Rhodes statue taken down from Oriel college.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...l-rhodes-statue-campaign-oxford-oriel-college

'Oriel College, Oxford, has decided to keep its statue of Cecil Rhodes, despite the Rhodes Must Fall campaign'

It is a great idea to get rid of a statue of a racist. Rhodes prepared the way for apartheid by helping to alter laws on voting and land ownership.

The fact that the college decided to keep the statue shows just how ingrained racism is in Oriel a century later.

Jack

The first rule of discussing the merits of exterminating the old, infirm and unemployed is to not discuss the old, infirm and unemployed...

It normally comes under such language as "maximising efficieny in welfare spending to ensure all stakeholders benefit as much as possible".

And so on, student unions banning star wars stormtrooper costumes

haven't heard of that one before, but i suspect it's not a protest against corporatism and the depravity of pop culture. violence/militarism?

vuk.

Mike,

... student unions banning star wars stormtrooper costumes
Who the hell goes to a party dressed like a stormtrooper when they could have gone as R2D2, Chewy or that delightfully sardonic bot in the new movie?

Seriously, this is as stupid as dressing like a red shirt from Obsession when you could have gone as Mr. Spock.

Amateurs!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
haven't heard of that one before, but i suspect it's not a protest against corporatism and the depravity of pop culture. violence/militarism?

vuk.

Fake news as far as the 'student unions' part. First the plural is wrong, only one instance seen. Second, the costumes were banned at a private party (a reunion gathering) by the private committee running it. So adults, not students or university, and no imposition on a student body, or the public.

The committee cited the association of the word 'stormtrooper' with the German military, a thing they say they were not aware of until it was brought to their attention.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/1/stormtrooper-costumes-banned-from-star-wars-themed/

The committee cited the association of the word 'stormtrooper' with the German military, a thing they say they were not aware of until it was brought to their attention.

ah OK -- i was leaning toward futuristic KKK outfit (the whiteness of it all). how do you keep up with this stuff?

since we are having a bit of post-modernist fun, the two most prominent bits of unconscious naziness i have spotted over the years are:

1) spice girls "zig-a zig ha" lyric -- which, to my astonishment, i really thought was "sieg-a-sieg heil " the first time i heard it

2) uber (the taxis)

vuk.

Plenty of other examples if you wanna wade through Google. Also the creation of 'safe spaces', trigger warnings, micro aggressions, the term 'snowflake' is most apt.

I worry more about prominent bits of conscious naziness, like these widely popular haircuts that are now openly called 'nazis.'
http://machohairstyles.com/best-nazi-haircuts/

those chaps all look like tier 1 hipsters -- hard for me to believe they are calling the haircuts nazi.

i've noticed over the past several months that we've had all kinds of trendy barber shops springing up (almost as many as bike shops) where this sort of person hangs out and gets groomed. maybe i'll pop in and ask.

vuk.

Plenty of other examples if you wanna wade through Google. Also the creation of 'safe spaces', trigger warnings, micro aggressions, the term 'snowflake' is most apt.

If I was you I'd start by learning the terms ignorant, dumb and gullible before moving onto the ones you quote.

If I was you I'd start by learning the terms ignorant, dumb and gullible before moving onto the ones you quote.
Oh really? Listen ****face, I don't have to stoop to directly insulting people when I post, oops I just did. Well anyway, if you want to ignore a very obvious and worrying trend amongst undergraduates, and in society as a whole that's your problem.

those chaps all look like tier 1 hipsters -- hard for me to believe they are calling the haircuts nazi.

i've noticed over the past several months that we've had all kinds of trendy barber shops springing up (almost as many as bike shops) where this sort of person hangs out and gets groomed. maybe i'll pop in and ask.

vuk.

Tier 1 hipsters like to flout existing norms. If they have another word, every knows it means 'nazi.'

Most have only a vague idea what Nazis were, of course, but even a vague Nazi identity is too much if you ask me.

Oh really? Listen ****face, I don't have to stoop to directly insulting people when I post, oops I just did. Well anyway, if you want to ignore a very obvious and worrying trend amongst undergraduates, and in society as a whole that's your problem.

Calm down snowflake, do you need to go to a safe place.

You know what the alt right is. You claim is disingenuous, and probably nasty right-wing stuff.

Since the 'alternative right' (alt right) spread what they term 'alternative facts', which is just a euphemism for 'lie', then it stands to reason that they must be liars. The clue is in the name.

The CHAOS continues...

advertisement

Back