advertisement

Owen Jones packs in social media

Chaps

Social media is a false god and it makes suckers of everyone.

I am chucking my IPhone in the dustbin the minute I get delivery of my new Nokia 3310 dumbphone in a couple of weeks. Just charge it up, slip it in your pocket and live real life again. It does calls and text and that is all I need. Mrs Mick is buying herself a Tablet and that's enough for us.

I decided 12 months ago to stay more away from the PC and hence you see less of me here, so we all win.

Regards

Mick

And of course it's getting corporatized, and the 'news' one gets in the social media will, going forward, basically be the score in the battle of the bots.

Chaps

I am chucking my IPhone in the dustbin the minute I get delivery of my new Nokia 3310 dumbphone in a couple of weeks. Just charge it up, slip it in your pocket and live real life again. It does calls and text and that is all I need. Mrs Mick is buying herself a Tablet and that's enough for us.

I decided 12 months ago to stay more away from the PC and hence you see less of me here, so we all win.

Regards

Mick

Mick are you going "off the grid"?

Some people treat the Internet the same as they would a car, like being in a vacuum where normal rules don't apply. Before I post on here I try to consider if I would say the same to someone's face, and importantly, would I say it to someone bigger. :)

But let's be honest, Owen was never on a winner for both exposing left wing values and saying Jeremy Corbyn's shit. It's like saying I hate City AND United, I like Stalybridge Celtic - you kind of limit your market. And it's a shame, because so few people can coherently articulate the way he does.

He's a Stockport lad and he's (very kindly) done a few fundraisers for us. He's really popular and I can't sell tickets quick enough. Underneath the media personality there's just a nice person (as are his family and friends!) and constantly taking that level attack eventually hurts, so I don't blame him for doing what he has. If we don't protect politicos for sharing an opinion (especially when they're being kind) we will end up with thick skinned psychopaths. We get what we deserve.

Chaps

Regards

Mick

I thought an iPjone could just do calls and texts if you wanted it to, Mick? no need to throw it away.

Unless of course you just enjoy telling everyone you've thrown it away every time you take the dumb phone out of your pocket and someone comments on it.

if the BBC kept up with the times, the headline would have read: owen jones flounces off for good.

vuk.

But let's be honest, Owen was never on a winner for both exposing left wing values and saying Jeremy Corbyn's shit.

I guess the lesson is that there's no room for honesty in politics these days. Simply stick to a chosen target market and pander to their every whim.

The world is not monochrome and yet people demand political analysis that pretends it is.

Had to google him. I think I recognise his face from a couple of Guardian columns that I accidentally click from time to time.

Announcing stuff like this makes me think less of the poor chap, though. Bless.

Looks like he has a track record for throwing his toys out the cot. 8 mins in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaps

Regards

Mick

Good choice. I only got my first smart phone maybe 3 years ago.

Had to google him. I think I recognise his face from a couple of Guardian columns that I accidentally click from time to time.

I might have misunderstood what you meant but Douglas Murray didn't destroy Owen Jones, he set about a character assassination in his absence yet missed the target by a country mile, and he's a rabid gobshite anyway so who cares?

I don't watch videos titled "X destroys Y" anymore. They're always b*llocks (and usually far-right b*llocks).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about it, here's another source of vitriol aimed at someone who is basically a decent person trying to do the right thing by other people. Pack in social media? If he had any sense he'd get a job in the private sector and earn a shed load of money and have a quiet life.

Rich, do you mean "dry your tears snow flake, it's only threats to kill, torture, abduct- just a bit of robust banter in the normal British way"?

What could possibly go wrong?

257q7ly.jpg

I might have misunderstood what you meant but Douglas Murray didn't destroy Owen Jones, he set about a character assassination in his absence yet missed the target by a country mile, and he's a rabid gobshite anyway so who cares?

Agree. The presenters were pushing an unnecessarily thin and pointless angle and the title of the video is suggestive that it is uploaded by a right wing bellend. It's the storming off set, on air when being a talking head is your job that I found funny.

If I ever wished to present an argument as to just how irrelevant, out of touch with reality and generally ridiculous the results of the most expensive and elitist tiers of private education can be Douglas Murray would likely be my 'Exhibit A'. It is unlikely any further exhibits would be required.

advertisement

Back