advertisement

How much difference do Speaker Stands make?

Dynaudio recommend their Stand 6 over the X3. No real surprise there. My current HMS1.1 claim to be designed against the spec of a well known top end speaker brand. I am tempted to buy some sand and see what happens with adding weight to them.

They still look ugly, but most metal stands struggle in this area. The wife, bless her, wants me to get those bespoke oak stands. They do look canny, but are they looks over function? Not sure yet.
Your wife knows best, trust her :) More function over looks IME.

For me Partington Dreadnoughts any day. I've got two pairs, both with Atacama isolation gel pads, both supporting LS3/5as. One pair was 2/3 filled with dry sand by a previous owner. The other pair is currently unfilled and to my ears sounds just as good, if not a bit less dull than the filled ones.

I'd caution against single pole stands. I've got a pair of Optimum stands. Whilst I love their hi-fi racks, their speaker stands are the worst I've ever encountered. They almost sway in the wind they are so unstable. I've got a pair of Quad 11ls languishing on these in my media room at the moment.

Or coupled.
Keith

who wants to couple speakers to stand?

Erm.. I don't see how you can argue the stand makes no difference as long as you remove the stand from the equation - isn't that rather self evident without proving anything?
do you know what decoupling means?
once a speaker is well decouple from the stands meaning that the stand very barely vibrate at all, as long as the stand is solid, stands wont affect SQ at all.

who wants to couple speakers to stand?

Someone who wants to prevent the speaker falling from the stand when it is jumped on by the cat. High mass stand + blutack + speaker = catproof. WIth your moniker I would have thought you'd have been well up on such matters :D

Coupled or uncoupled really won't or at least shouldn't make a huge difference to the sound quality, isolating might improve relations with your downstairs neighbours.
Keith.

No neighbours below for me. Will floor spikes help the sound or are they just to save the transmission to the floor below?

They may provide some structural stability if the speakers are placed on carpet, but what they are primarily doing is transferring vibration directly into the floor, the speakers will not vibrate less whether they are coupled or isolated.
Keith

IMO you cannot fairly compare two different stands unless they both site the speakers in exactly the same place in all three axes, as even small differences in speaker placement within a room can cause significant changes in frequency response that can potentially swamp any sonic differences between stands.

This. The speakers would have to end up identically located before you could even begin to assess any effects caused by the stands.

For me Partington Dreadnoughts any day. I've got two pairs, both with Atacama isolation gel pads, both supporting LS3/5as. One pair was 2/3 filled with dry sand by a previous owner. The other pair is currently unfilled and to my ears sounds just as good, if not a bit less dull than the filled ones.

I'd caution against single pole stands. I've got a pair of Optimum stands. Whilst I love their hi-fi racks, their speaker stands are the worst I've ever encountered. They almost sway in the wind they are so unstable. I've got a pair of Quad 11ls languishing on these in my media room at the moment.
The atacama isolation gel pads are easily the best of their kind, they sort of make the stand moot as they isolate superbly.

I bought my Atacama SL600i stands because they have a leg at each corner and the top-plates are 225mm wide and 225mm deep. My speakers are 230mm wide and 230mm deep (not counting grilles), so the set-up is nice and tidy and very stable.

I also have the Atacama Gel Pads (they came with the stands) and I use them so as not to mark the bottoms of my speakers and to prevent them sliding around.

They are just the right height.

Ugly though.

Well, life can throw some interesting curve balls. Walking through town and one of those shops that sells the African carving type stuff had 2 wooden plinths on sale. Some unidentified hardwood from Thailand. Rather a neat design, and they are my new speaker stands. Atacama isolation pads on the top, about 500mm high and better suited to my listening position (tweeters at eye level). Sound great and WAF is out of this world too

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144802472@N07/q4s8ms

They look good and, strangely, sound good too. The bass appears, if anything, more defined than on the proper metal stands, and there is a musicality to the whole setup. I am putting some of that down to lowering the speakers to a more appropriate height for my sofa. A random purchase, but a good one.

Been banging on about hardwood supports forever here, met with complete silence, sometimes you need to give something a go rather than ignore the obvious because your entrenched in hifi magazine speak from the 80's, i too believed it & played along for far too long.
Your description is almost spot on with a description i gave a few months back, much derision followed, obviously, i would stick with the height thing, much safer here, don't dare claim the wood support has improved matters "musically", forbidden word :)

Been banging on about hardwood supports forever here, met with complete silence, sometimes you need to give something a go rather than ignore the obvious because your entrenched in hifi magazine speak from the 80's, i too believed it & played along for far too long.
Your description is almost spot on with a description i gave a few months back, much derision followed, obviously, i would stick with the height thing, much safer here, don't dare claim the wood support has improved matters "musically", forbidden word :)

I sympathise. They appear more solid than my Atacama stands and guess that is the reason for the good stuff. I would like to eulogise about the merits of natural materials, but am worried that the HiFi police will be round.

Well, life can throw some interesting curve balls. Walking through town and one of those shops that sells the African carving type stuff had 2 wooden plinths on sale. Some unidentified hardwood from Thailand. Rather a neat design, and they are my new speaker stands. Atacama isolation pads on the top, about 500mm high and better suited to my listening position (tweeters at eye level). Sound great and WAF is out of this world too

Whats not to like about these, improved sound and I think they look great.

Does anyone use Harbeth P3' and with what stand?

I use P3esr with the little desktop ones from Hifi racks. Cost £100. Perfect to get tweeters to ear level. No spikes, just those little silicone spots.

In answer to the OP's question, in my case the answer is 19". As long as the stand does not wobble, there is some rubber, silicone or sorbothane for each corner of the speaker to sit on and the tweeters are as close to ear level as possible, I don't think there is anything else to worry about.

If £30 IKEA tables are the right height, then fine. Spikes can be found on Amazon and the insole of an old sports shoe is as good as anything else for decoupling, as most are made from sorbothane.

Lovely

advertisement

Back