advertisement

How much difference do Speaker Stands make?

I've been informed that the central column of this stand is veneered MDF, not solid oak. Don't know how this affects the sound, but the OCD in me says if I'm buying a 'wooden stand' then it should be made entirely from wood...

I'd agree with that. Solid wood would be much more favourable.

I've been informed that the central column of this stand is veneered MDF, not solid oak. Don't know how this affects the sound, but the OCD in me says if I'm buying a 'wooden stand' then it should be made entirely from wood...
All solid oak, not a veneer in sight :)
Who informed you of this BTW.
It's made from the same thickness of wood, all over, including the central column, i removed the top plate at one point to see how this thing was made, wood grain straight through.

Also, this place, just up the road from me

http://www.customspeakerstands.co.uk/

All solid oak, not a veneer in sight :)
Who informed you of this BTW.
It's made from the same thickness of wood, all over, including the central column, i removed the top plate at one point to see how this thing was made, wood grain straight through.

The seller himself! I asked about customising the top plate and he said the top plates were dowelled and glued onto the columns, but that they could in theory be supplied with screw fixings. I quote "the columns are veneered MDF, but I can put an insert in to receive the screws securely".

Also, this place, just up the road from me

http://www.customspeakerstands.co.uk/

Yes I emailed this site today and was assured their stands are 100% solid wood.

Has anyone used vintage speakers as stands?
vintage floorstanders or even big bookshelves have the right dimensions and are heavy enough, unfortunately a bit ugly,
it's a good way for me to get use of all the speakers I have..:D

The seller himself! I asked about customising the top plate and he said the top plates were dowelled and glued onto the columns, but that they could in theory be supplied with screw fixings. I quote "the columns are veneered MDF, but I can put an insert in to receive the screws securely".

Yes I emailed this site today and was assured their stands are 100% solid wood.
How odd, mine are solid wood, wonder why he changed them, i purchased mine very early on in production, got lucky :)

Has anyone used vintage speakers as stands?
vintage floorstanders or even big bookshelves have the right dimensions and are heavy enough, unfortunately a bit ugly,
it's a good way for me to get use of all the speakers I have..:D

It shouldn't work as you have the 'undriven driver' acting as somewhere between an absorber and resonator. Think 'single speaker dems' of the '80s etc. By saying that I hadca pair of ProAc Tablette Ref 8 Sigs for a very short while during The Great Tannoy Catastrophe of a few years ago (I sold them and regretted it hugely). When I came to sell the little ProAcs I just plonked them on top of my replacement Tannoys and they sounded superb, better than I ever got from them on stands to be honest! I guess the bass just worked a bit better higher up.

It shouldn't work as you have the 'undriven driver' acting as somewhere between an absorber and resonator. Think 'single speaker dems' of the '80s etc. By saying that I hadca pair of ProAc Tablette Ref 8 Sigs for a very short while during The Great Tannoy Catastrophe of a few years ago (I sold them and regretted it hugely). When I came to sell the little ProAcs I just plonked them on top of my replacement Tannoys and they sounded superb, better than I ever got from them on stands to be honest! I guess the bass just worked a bit better higher up.

Yes, I know that, but think for a moment of 10 pairs of speakers inside a demo shop..

Yes the HiFi Racks stands are nice but pricey, especially if you want a finish other than oak and/or want to customise the size of the top plinth! That said I am tempted by the Podium T5 IV. I'm just wondering if they'll do my Tannoy Autograph Mini and Jim Rogers JR149 loudspeakers equal justice?

I personally don't think £99-249 is expensive for speaker stands at all. I'd wager those would be better than many metal ones costing much more than that!

I have some 47 Lab Lens speakers and by all accounts they work best on light open frames - however, after experimenting with various stands of different materials I ended up with the ultra massive Target R4.

advertisement

Back