advertisement

System pics 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is indeed. It's actually a Svelte+ which is the thicker (less svelte?) version. I did have the whole thing floating on Symposium bearings but now it rests on Stillpoints.

Thanks!

More svelte. ;)

ywgi.jpg

I've been playing with one of these.

Refined.

I'm utterly tempted to buy one of these. I like the look, I love the concept behind it even though a lot of people question it's pitch (it's not really a streamer, it's not really a server and so on) but I think it definitely has a place in the market as so many people already have music collections ripped to computers and/or NAS but don't want a computer in the living room.

How goes the burgeoning relationship with the Sony?

I love the concept too Gary. Right now, I'd say it does some things really well, and maybe isn't all it could be elsewhere.

I need more time definitely - it's remarkably refined sounding though.

Right now, I'm having typical file issues. It reads .dff taken from SACD ISO but not .dff taken from DSD recorder. Takes .dsf from said recorder so have to reformat everything.

I love the concept too Gary. Right now, I'd say it does some things really well, and maybe isn't all it could be elsewhere.

Right now, I'm having typical file issues. It reads .dff taken from SACD ISO but not .dff taken from DSD recorder. Takes .dsf from said recorder so have to reformat everything.

I don't have any .dff/DSD files so everything I have is AIFF, mostly redbook with one or two hires downloads.

I'm kinda cooling my heels until Arcam release info on what streamer products they're planning for 2014 (two apparently).

Oh jeez Sony, what part of "binary API wrapper" do you not implement? It's decode schema is even in XML ffs!

This is basic stuff, guys. I had expected better. Software revision down the pipe?

Very nice Lefty.

Thanks for the kind words chaps - I've lusted after this amp for a while. I've got a few days off so will be giving it a good listen.

I'm listening to it as I type (source: NAT 03 / BBC R3) and it's sounding epic :)

Lefty

Thanks for the kind words chaps - I've lusted after this amp for a while. I've got a few days off so will be giving it a good listen.

I'm listening to it as I type (source: NAT 03 / BBC R3) and it's sounding epic :)

Lefty

Hi Lefty,

Please forgive my lack of knowledge but what Amp is it?

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

It's an Audion Silver Night 300b mkII Integrated.

7 watts of single ended loveliness :)

Lefty

I don't have any .dff/DSD files so everything I have is AIFF, mostly redbook with one or two hires downloads.

I'm kinda cooling my heels until Arcam release info on what streamer products they're planning for 2014 (two apparently).

I'd say the Sony was definitely worth a listen with PCM - it surprised me by actually surpassing other units I've tried playing back simple WAV files.

More impressive on these to my ears than it is with DSD surprisingly - although it's very very refined and colourful with good DSD files too. It's just lacking a little "funk" for want of a better word - certainly at the moment. Put another way, it doesn't make me want to start daddy dancing in the dining room.

As a piece of kit for the living room, it's beautifully built, confidence inspiring, and the remote app is slick in the extreme.

Do you import your music from a HDD? Seems like a hasle because I quite often get new digital music.

The Sony automatically loads anything that you add to your computer over wifi so once setup it would be a doddle.

It has a built in HDD and accepts an external drive to increase capacity.

All in all it's a very neat solution that makes you wonder how some audio companies can get away with charging what they do for broadly similar products.

It certainly sounds every bit as good as any £2K disc player I have heard, and adds both convenience and a lot of freeing up of space. Lately I've got fed up with computer audio with all it's occasional glitches and incompatibilities. I've been looking for a solution that just works.

The Sony automatically loads anything that you add to your computer over wifi so once setup it would be a doddle.

It has a built in HDD and accepts an external drive to increase capacity.

All in all it's a very neat solution that makes you wonder how some audio companies can get away with charging what they do for broadly similar products.

It certainly sounds every bit as good as any £2K disc player I have heard, and adds both convenience and a lot of freeing up of space. Lately I've got fed up with computer audio with all it's occasional glitches and incompatibilities. I've been looking for a solution that just works.

So you need to store all your music on the computer? Incl. those huge DSD files? Doesn't seem like the best plan. :confused:

So you need to store all your music on the computer? Incl. those huge DSD files? Doesn't seem like the best plan. :confused:

True but this is aimed at the people who already have a music collection on their computer. Yes you can buy a streamer that will do a similar job but then you're /streaming/ across a network be it ethernet or WiFi (with possible dropouts) but this device gives you that, plus a silent backup of your music collection AND gives you locally played content without needing to re-rip your music. Bear in mind that Naim's HDX is just over £5k...

True but this is aimed at the people who already have a music collection on their computer. Yes you can buy a streamer that will do a similar job but then you're /streaming/ across a network be it ethernet or WiFi (with possible dropouts) but this device gives you that, plus a silent backup of your music collection AND gives you locally played content without needing to re-rip your music. Bear in mind that Naim's HDX is just over £5k...

I just don't understand why a product released in 2014 can't sync with a nas.

I just don't understand why a product released in 2014 can't sync with a nas.

It can, it syncs with your iTunes library. It doesn't really matter where that library is stored. I spoke with Sony at Bristol Sound & Vision and the guy there said it would sync my NAS library no problem. I understand you install a piece of software on the host computer and that's what does the syncing.

Admittedly you do need a computer rather than just a standalone NAS drive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back