advertisement

Vinyl trend causes discord

Since the album was almost certainly produced before you heard them do it live, yes, you should complain!:)

But you neatly used your jokey reposte to ignore the point I was making. The cheapest CD player can resolve that very faint "Ticket to Ride". The most expensive turntable/arm/cartridge can't. It is just lost in the noise floor.

Chris

Chris, the point I was making was that it didn't matter that I never heard them play every last nuance of every note.

I once saw the original Eagles play live and they were crap. They sounded, perfect, just like their records I should have stayed at home.

I suppose it depends on what you listen to.

I want my music to reach out to me.

Digital never has.

I think you're slightly missing my point, which was (once again) that if "The Music" is the be-all and end-all (as we're confidently assured by all the insiders here who really get it) why do these same people get so steamed up if other people are listening to "The Music" in a format that does not happen to meet with their approval?

On the subject of user-friendliness, i remain unconvinced that the hassle of having to digitize all my record collection, set up networks and NAS and getting all the bits to talk to each other properly in the right protocol etc. is simpler than pulling out a CD or LP, slapping it on the deck and listening to the music while reading the liner notes and possibly improving my nasty little mind a bit. But to each his own.

It takes about 20 mins to set up a system if you already have a home network, about 2 hrs if you don't. And you only have to do it once.

Yes, ripping the CDs to the NAS is a pain. But you only have to do it once.

As for reading the liner notes, why limit yourself so drastically? Most streaming systems are controlled from either smartphones or tablets. It is easiest thing in the world to use them to access the web & get the liner notes, lyrics, album reviews, artist interviews etc, etc whilst listening.

Chris

if I could get a box with buttons that provides the joi-de-vivre of my cheapo 301 I would buy one
For some, interacting with the machine and with the physical media is part of the joie. Even a box with buttons requires interaction on the user's part, just not a particularly interesting interaction.

Actually, I can't say that definitively - maybe buttons are your thing. Nothing inherently wrong with buttons. I'm just more of a lever and pulley type, myself.

For some, interacting with the machine and with the physical media is part of the joie. Even a box with buttons requires interaction on the user's part, just not a particularly interesting interaction.

Actually, I can't say that definitively - maybe buttons are your thing. Nothing inherently wrong with buttons. I'm just more of a lever and pulley type, myself.

I`m glad you don`t design computer keyboards.

Yet vinyl seems generally able to meet or exceed redbook CD (probably largely due to poor mastering for CD though).

Ian's right though, all formats are great. The content is the main thing.

Of course he's right. I've said it on many occasion, but given the choice of a megabuck hi fi & 300 records or a boombox & 20,000 records, It'd be the boombox every time.

It's because of the way a streaming solution so greatly improves the access to my collection that I mainly love it so much. The fact that it also sounds amazing is just the icing on the cake.

Chris

kasper, I accept that some of the fun to some pfm'ers is the tweaking.

I have returned to vinyl, solely, because of the sound and my combo is modest but still has something that digital dosen't have IMO.

I wasn't joking about the box with buttons or even one button if that could provide the sound I would have it as the interaction with the medium is not a prerequisite for me.

Only the music matters and I consider vinyl to be a nuisance albeit a necessary evil in my life.

Chris, the point I was making was that it didn't matter that I never heard them play every last nuance of every note.

I once saw the original Eagles play live and they were crap. They sounded, perfect, just like their records I should have stayed at home.

I suppose it depends on what you listen to.

I want my music to reach out to me.

Digital never has.

If the music's good, it really doesn't matter what you listen to it on. Hearing, say, the opening bars of "Eight Miles High" on a cheap car radio raises the goose bumps almost as much as listening to it on my main system.

Chris

It takes about 20 mins to set up a system if you already have a home network, about 2 hrs if you don't. And you only have to do it once.
Chris

If you know how to do it, maybe.

Yes, ripping the CDs to the NAS is a pain. But you only have to do it once.
Chris

We are in agreement it seems.

As for reading the liner notes, why limit yourself so drastically?
Chris

You assume for some strange reason that I do, but I don't. I frequently dig for extra information on the internet and also make full use of legacy solutions called books, subscribe to music magazines, etc. (why limit yourself to the internet, eh?) It is how I learn about new recordings, decide what to buy, etc.

the interaction with the medium is not a prerequisite for me.
See, I think albums and cds are interesting objects. Sometimes there are neat little things buried in the matrix that put me a tiny bit closer to the artist (e.g., Joe Walsh's "Is it six o'clock yet?" on Hotel California). Plus, I have a few dozen album covers that have been autographed by the artists. In their own small way, the objects themselves impact the way I experience music. In the words of the great Noddy Holder, "It awl adds to the atmosphere."

Besides, try asking Van Morrison to sign your download and see if you don't come away with a fat lip.

See, I think albums and cds are interesting objects. Sometimes there are neat little things buried in the matrix that put me a tiny bit closer to the artist (e.g., Joe Walsh's "Is it six o'clock yet?" on Hotel California). Plus, I have a few dozen album covers that have been autographed by the artists. In their own small way, the objects themselves impact the way I experience music. In the words of the great Noddy Holder, "It awl adds to the atmosphere."

Besides, try asking Van Morrison to sign your download and see if you don't come away with a fat lip.

kasper, I understand what you mean and there is something nice about holding the album that I had forgotten about until returning to this medium.

I was just emphasising that whilst, for example, Greg and your good-self are steeped in vinyl and might, albeit wrongly, be accused of nostalgia playing some part in your assessment of the sound.

I have no axe to grind.

I either have cloth ears ( no doubt objectivists will quote this part alone! ) or vinyl, for reasons I don't understand, conveys the music in a manner that digital does not.

That has always been my position, PsB. Look back through my posts.

Chris

OK.
In Post #23 in this thread, you +1 our bro Teddy who writes this:

"I can't abide vinyl more than one album..max.

i dont listen to CD either. I just dont like physical media."

I'll spare you the posts in between, but by post #68 you're saying "If the music's good, it really doesn't matter what you listen to it on."

I call that a shift in position. This thread might be useful after all.

I have no axe to grind.
No axe grinding here either. Just thinking out loud. If we were all the same, you'd all be out there in the record stores buying up all the good stuff before I could get to it. That just wouldn't do.

Downloads ease the consumer pressure on "legacy media". That's a positive, in my book.

OK.
In Post #23 in this thread, you +1 our bro Teddy who writes this:

"I can't abide vinyl more than one album..max.

i dont listen to CD either. I just dont like physical media."

I'll spare you the posts in between, but by post #68 you're saying "If the music's good, it really doesn't matter what you listen to it on."

I call that a shift in position. This thread might be useful after all.

You are misreading me badly. I don't really like physical media, that's true enough. I don't like it because, in the case of vinyl, it sounds inferior & degrades every time you play it, and in the case of vinyl & all other physical media types, it gets in the way of enjoying the music.

But what has that got to do with the music itself? Or the appreciation & love of it?

Over the course of many threads over many years, I have maintained that it is better to have a crappy hi-fi & a superb music collection than the converse.

Chris

Downloads ease the consumer pressure on "legacy media".
We should all do what we can to reduce that pressure.
IIuc Target cds have been known to spontaneously combust.

advertisement

Back