advertisement

Russ Andrews Mains distrbution blocks

The worst thing about Russ (apart from his dress sense) is his catalogue spam mailouts. Like CPC, 6 years ago they came in droves. Multiples and duplicates every month! In the end i had to tell them I had died in order to stop the deluge of weird crap arriving in the mail.

I only bought 2 Wattgate plugs because I was curious and no.... not a jot of difference... Still use them as I paid for them though, but yeah, I got hosed. No returns on IEC wattgates, if used, and to add insult to injury after that, the RA catalogue and letters would arrive. They don't even send them under plain wrapper so postie already thinks I'm a weirdo who would spend a trillion quid on a kettle lead with an garden plug on it.

Avoid.

Please stop all this typing, the EMI radiating from your pcs is bouncing off the ionosphere and messing with my music.

Hi,

For the money the mains block and whatever power cord you buy adds up to a better spend for your money would be to get your local electrician to wire a 30amp spur to power your HiFi.

If you already have a dedicated mains to power your HiFi then I doubt the extra expense is worth it to buy the RA stuff.

John

Thanks to those for the useful responses. It appears that there aren't many people using them around here. The 'buy and try' approach from Russ is at least quite convenient and worth a go I think. I know that a good mains spur is the correct way to go, but that's later when I have my own house!

@Mike Reed, which actual RA products do you have?

Cheers
Goose

Russ Andrews could not provide plausible evidence....it is indeed true that doesn't 'prove' he is wrong, anymore than my failure to provide evidence that my house is populated by invisible red fire engines 'proves' that it isn't. On the other hand.....

Sitting down doing the maths, and pricing up a full on Russ Andrews install (2.9k per power cable!) I worked out you could assemble a house sized solar powered array with battery backup and inverter which is the same as my wind-connected inverter, which produces better mains quality than grid mains) for about the same price, £12,000. If you take hifi mains power seriously you should generate your own before you get the ****y kettle leads with bits of wood on them not to mention the ****y extra mains strips.

Only difference is you get to sell yor energy back to the grid and claim your ROCs (300 quid a year) on top of the excess you sell back plus you can do your bit reducing the load of the grid and being less reliant on moneygrabbing fecktards at the utilities.

Or you can buy 4 x top-end kettle leads at £2.9k a pop.

They could not prove it. That was all.

Belief that these things are impossible + ASA ruling of failure to substantiate claims = reinforced belief that these things are impossible.

The belief itself is also unproven. Black and white thinking and intolerance of uncertainty is running amock here.

The mains cable manufacturers I talk to on occasion are not silly enough to make such claims. That is not to say they are cynical charlatans who have no faith in their products, they simply don't make claims they cannot prove. They and their customers tolerate uncertainty and allow the latter to use their ears.

I cannot prove that there are fairies at the bottom of my garden.
Andrews foo-cable assertions are on the same level.

Chris

If changing the mains lead on your hifi makes a difference, shouldn't you be selling the hifi rather than buying the mains lead?

I think Russ Andrews is an amazing business man. He has tricked people in to handing over many a thousand of pounds for some cabling that may or may not make your hifi sound a tiny bit better And let's face it when you've spent 2 large on a cable you so want to say it sounds better, if not you look a bit of a plum. I honestly wish I had his business acumen; psychology based, retail businesses like this can be highly profitable.

If changing the mains lead on your hifi makes a difference, shouldn't you be selling the hifi rather than buying the mains lead?

At last someone has said the obvious thing.

If you need something outwith your HiFi to make it sound better then the HiFi is not up to standard. The HiFi itself should take care of any mains issues not something bought as an addition.

Quite right sir. I have some RA gear and have tried his cables (loans off friends) they are good quality, but way over priced.

Upgrading is more cost effective.

In an ideal world....

Building hi-fi that stimulates the senses does not involve what should or should not occur but what does actually occur.

I take the opposite view. If I have observed a benefit from a cable that is not shown up by another conponent I conclude that the component in question is insufficiently transparent to show up the cable.

Very revealing systems need the noise filtering out.

Upgrading is more cost effective

Only to a point. Get the ancilliaries right and those component upgrades will have more impact. Unlike some I am not theorizing, I speak from experience.

In an ideal world....

Building hi-fi that stimulates the senses does not involve what should or should not occur but what does actually occur.

I take the opposite view. If I have observed a benefit from a cable that is not shown up by another conponent I conclude that the component in question is insufficiently transparent to show up the cable.

Very revealing systems need the noise filtering out.

Only to a point. Get the ancilliaries right and those component upgrades will have more impact. Unlike some I am not theorizing, I speak from experience.

So explain why Dynavector who make very revealing systems say this......

The P-75 mkII power supply runs at over 1/4MHz. It takes the low grade single voltage DC supply from the ac adapter and converts it to the dual high voltages required for true professional quality audio reproduction. The operating frequency is over 12 times higher than the top of the audio band and it incorporates super low noise wideband regulators in its output stage to give ultra low noise supply rails. The internal P-75 mkII power supply is totally self contained and stores many times the maximum possible energy requirements for the phono amplifiers. This means that the quality or size of the external ac adaptor is irrelevant. Increasing the capacity of the external supply will make no difference to the quality of the sound.

There would be but one way to find out. I certainly would not take what the manufacturer had to say as gospel.

Why can't people just invest a little time listening to the effect their equipment has on the music? Then they can kick back and enjoy their music more.

Where are the "substantiated claims" for your overpriced wobbly acrylic racks or your choice of mains blocks?

Just a thought.

Are the systems that appear to benefit from special mains cables, carrying the "CE" mark and can show the mandatory Certificate of Compliance from the the supplier/distributor in the EU and EEA for Low Voltage and EMC Directives, or do they predate that requirement?

advertisement

Back