advertisement

Russ Andrews Mains distrbution blocks

As promised earlier - Dave's Dramatic Dixie Donkey Scale for rating Mains Improvements. I'm from the southern portion of the USA (hence the Dixie bit) and I trust Donkeys are familiar to everyone throughout the world so...

The scale is simple. Four donkeys is as good as it gets. "Nothing like a crowd" and "spice is the variety of life" and all. One donkey is not so hot (think of coming home to the same old cootch for forty years.) Donkeys between just mean moar phun til we hit four and reach for a smoke when it's all said and done. Enjoy and post any questions.

is
is
is
is
: install the biggest dern dedicated AC line the law will allow and bypass your breaker box with a direct connection to your side of the meter. Make it maximum amperage for maximum pleasure. Supposedly it decreases source impedance but whatever the reason, it delivers the biggest bang for the buck if a regular lighting circuit was previously used and stuffed full of other buzzing appliances.

is
is
is
: tighten all those AC wire connections from the breaker all the way to the last outlet. When I say tighten I mean tighter than you ever imagined. Use an oversize screwdriver for maximum torque and turn it til any further would tear tendons or destroy materials. Yes, you will hear the difference vs half-assed tight.

Nothing mains related in my experience deserves two donkeys.

is
: Try different brands of outlets. The difference isn't huge though I have run into one audiophile-approved outlet that actually sucked. Three separate tests installing it on different lines found in each case it sounded like someone had thrown a blanket over the speakers. I use 25-year-old hospital grade outlets. They sound slightly better than standard commercial grade outlets but grip the plugs like a snappin turtle. (i hate droopy plugs)

<no donkeys> : worrying with cable directionality when running AC lines. Highly recommended by my most trusted ear in the business and an utter fail when actually tried -no difference in sound whatsoever.

Over and out...

Mort are you genuinely interested in upgrading your system in this way or are you trolling/tyre kicking?

If you are interested you get to try before you buy either by mail order with a 30 day return policy or you can borrow stuff from your dealer.

A decent block improves dynamics. Decent leads remove noise and a certain harshness or 'glare' allowing you to hear more detail, separation of instruments and inflection.
Steven,
Thank you for the reply, despite the uncalled for sniping. I simply wanted to know what I could expect from these components. I do have some follow-on questions, please feel free to get all technical on my ass:
1. What is the mechanism that a block uses to improve dynamics? What components are in these blocks other than the connectors?
2. If a mains lead removes noise (I note it doesn't reduce noise, but removes), This should be easily demonstrated by 2 recordings of the pre-amp output with and without the lead. Have you ever done this?
3. Can you narrow down the terms harshness and glare, is this a frequency response phenomena, resonance, inter-modulation, or what? There must be a technical term for this effect?
Cheers,
Mort

eeeeewwwwweeeeee, you Guy's are asking for it.....this is stereophile heresy!

Where is Markus S when he's most needed? Unbelievable that he would leave Steven Toy here all by himself.

Louballoo

Darryl, the model number of the Nagra is on this thread a couple of pages back.

hi steven , saw that late last night cheers....interesting nick says that model sounds better than the timecode version (i use one of them) nagra say they sound the same.

nice devices though.

we now use digital recorders though, so the nagras have been retired unless someone desperately wants them.

tape is very, very pricey now.....

advertisement

Back