advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also assuming that I can change apple lossless into foobar files too. is thet right still?

Many thanks for your help.

Hi Arthur!

I'm the wrong one to point you to some "Foobar for dummies" ;-) site, but I can tell you, that Foobar can play Apple lossless files (there is a - so called - PlugIn which enables this).

But, as english isn't my first/native language, It might be better if someone else will guide you here.

But, as pointed to before, you might also take a look at Mediamonkey or to JRiver Mediacenter, which is quite similar to ITunes.

Good luck!

Greetz
Harald

Gentlemen! Thank you all for your help.

I'm determined to sort this computer music malarkey out once and for all.

The convenience is so attractive that the effort is worth the stress :confused:

This weekend shall see me stand or fall: either all media savvy or impaled on the spike of the dread computer illiteracy demon :D

I also picked up a Bel Canto eVo 200.2 balanced class D power amp on Sunday. I hooked it up this evening and bloody hell!!!!! I wish now I'd hooked it up at the show. Using the balanced outs of the CDQ, this amp redefines awesome. The phrase 'iron fist in a velvet glove' springs to mind. The bass is awesome but so is everything else. I have never had so many goosebumps in one listening session.

Massive kudos to the CDQ. This Bel Canto amp reveals how truly great the CDQ is.

Glad to hear I just picked up an Evo II to go with my CDQ which is on order, allteady really impressed with the Evo just hooked up to my AV amp, hoping for great things when the CDQ arrives.

Gentlemen! Thank you all for your help.

I'm determined to sort this computer music malarkey out once and for all.

The convenience is so attractive that the effort is worth the stress :confused:

This weekend shall see me stand or fall: either all media savvy or impaled on the spike of the dread computer illiteracy demon :D

Foobar2000 is dead easy to set up, also adding WASAPI is dead simple too, but if you don't want to and want another player that is its equal then look at the AIMP2 media player, I've been using AIMP3 beta version and it's a lovely little player, you don't need to use apple products to get excellent sound from a PC.

Can anyone tell me when first 8200cdq with hardware revision 1.11 (incl. 12v trigger) will be shipped? thx

Well, I've had my CDQ for quite a while now, and thought I'd report back on how things are. Some of you may not be interested, but some of you who are deliberating over purchasing, may be.

I now have my 8000LX configured in power amp mode, so I now have the CDQ operating in full pre-amp mode. As a CD player I am thoroughly impressed, it's digging up detail, and delivering music to my ears in a way I have not experienced in my living room before. It makes me want to listen to all my CD's again and again, and is helping me rediscover some underplayed albums, surely no bad thing. I haven't fiddled around with the filter settings much, and to be honest, I haven't been able to detect an awful lot of difference between some of them. But, much like the majority on here have stated, the optical transient, and the XD version, are probably favourites. The CDQ replaces a 63 KI Sig.

I have a Squeezebox Touch attached via optical, and this generally gets used late at night when the effect of alcohol has reared it's ugly head, and is controlled via iPeng. Patience isn't one of my stronger points, and the convenience of this set up is very useful to me, but does lead to long nights with little sleep! From a critical listening point of view, to be honest, it sounds no different to the Touch's built in DAC to my ears.

I have also used the USB DAC via a laptop running JRiver Media Center with WASAPI (whatever that is), the result of this is pretty much the same as playing CD. The sound is far superior to that of the Touch using the same FLAC files, it gives a more dynamic sound, better soundstaging and more realism. It may even sound a little better than direct CD at times, dare I say?

Yes, the tray might be flimsy, and yes, I probably will like to get the software updated, but the main thing for me is, my music has never sounded as good, and as far as I'm concerned, I have achieved this for a very reasonable amount of money. Now for those monoblocs.......

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank John for the care and consideration he has put into these products, and his customers, and please accept my condolences for your loss.

Well, I've had my CDQ for quite a while now, and thought I'd report back on how things are. Some of you may not be interested, but some of you who are deliberating over purchasing, may be.

I now have my 8000LX configured in power amp mode, so I now have the CDQ operating in full pre-amp mode. As a CD player I am thoroughly impressed, it's digging up detail, and delivering music to my ears in a way I have not experienced in my living room before. It makes me want to listen to all my CD's again and again, and is helping me rediscover some underplayed albums, surely no bad thing. I haven't fiddled around with the filter settings much, and to be honest, I haven't been able to detect an awful lot of difference between some of them. But, much like the majority on here have stated, the optical transient, and the XD version, are probably favourites. The CDQ replaces a 63 KI Sig.

I have a Squeezebox Touch attached via optical, and this generally gets used late at night when the effect of alcohol has reared it's ugly head, and is controlled via iPeng. Patience isn't one of my stronger points, and the convenience of this set up is very useful to me, but does lead to long nights with little sleep! From a critical listening point of view, to be honest, it sounds no different to the Touch's built in DAC to my ears.

I have also used the USB DAC via a laptop running JRiver Media Center with WASAPI (whatever that is), the result of this is pretty much the same as playing CD. The sound is far superior to that of the Touch using the same FLAC files, it gives a more dynamic sound, better soundstaging and more realism. It may even sound a little better than direct CD at times, dare I say?

Yes, the tray might be flimsy, and yes, I probably will like to get the software updated, but the main thing for me is, my music has never sounded as good, and as far as I'm concerned, I have achieved this for a very reasonable amount of money. Now for those monoblocs.......

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank John for the care and consideration he has put into these products, and his customers, and please accept my condolences for your loss.
@Miki Vee: I also have a CDQ 8200 and a Touch and the Touch is my MAIN source!
I can say that you can get almost as good a sound as or (better than) with the CD.
Look into the 5v PSU (get a liniar) for the Touch.
For best sound use a USB HD (also get a liniar psu) with wav files as source.
Or get a ethernet setup (like i'm using) and do NOT use the wireless lan option... its best to disable it with soundcheck's mods for touch. Also get a good coaxial digital cabel...
Hoping that you can use these small hints...
BR from Denmark

Lonergan, if you do buy the expensive balanced cables please ask for them to be on sale or return and get yourself a set of Van Damme tour grade classic cables with Neutrik connectors to compare them against. You can get these here http://www.connect-audio.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=VDM1010730010SQ for about a tenth of the price your dealer is going to charge.
The Van Damme cables are good and reading around a bit it seems that the basic design of balanced cables offers them a big advantage over unbalanced RCA designs. Personally, I'd be fascinated to know if you find a significant advantage in the more expensive cables!
Best, Duncan[/QUOTE]

I have a 3 mtr pair of the same Van Damme cheapies and my Adams sound wonderfully good.

No need to pay that daft price imo (£450!!!!)
someones out to make a killing.

I have moved the Santi Lo Monaco discussion to a new thread to save this one from further off-topic evolution.

Markus - moderating

I bought the van damme cables off ebay at the recommendation of the forumers here. After a few weeks it is at my doorstep in Singapore. Hooked it up to my cdq and right away it sounds very good. I am sure it is better than my Hosa cables. Great recommenation! Now my Adams indeed sound better. So more expensive may not be better! Before that I was using a pair of single ended silver cables (pretty good even compared to the Kimber blackpearl). The van damme is better.

Since we are at this, anyone knows of a good power cord to recommend?

Can you all answer a stupid question for me please? If the CDQ has a pre-amp does that mean I could connect that to the power section of a NaitXS? Would there likely be any benefit?

You could, with a suitable cable made up.

But you'd be better of selling the Nait and getting Nap 200 or even better a Nap 250 (sh).

You might find the nait preamp part preferable of course.

But I can say that the pre part of the CDQ is no slouch at all.

I'd be very interested in what you do. I may be tempted the Nap 250 route myself in the future.

I bought the van damme cables off ebay at the recommendation of the forumers here. After a few weeks it is at my doorstep in Singapore. Hooked it up to my cdq and right away it sounds very good. I am sure it is better than my Hosa cables. Great recommenation! Now my Adams indeed sound better. So more expensive may not be better! Before that I was using a pair of single ended silver cables (pretty good even compared to the Kimber blackpearl). The van damme is better.

Since we are at this, anyone knows of a good power cord to recommend?
LittleToast
Please confirm which cables are better than your Kimber Black Pearl.
Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back