advertisement

Isolation feet and speaker stands

Yes when i had martin logans on big wobby stella townshends my friends pulled my leg mercilessly !!! The aperta are not quite as wobbly but much cheaper than townshend

Just added Auva 50 to my ATC SCM40As on laminate floor under which is chipboard and concrete.

I’m noticing an improvement in clarity, vocal timbre and less “smearing”. Early days but I don’t think I’ll be sending them back…

had a good old read about these lovely stack audio isolation devices . as far as i can see you put them directly under your equipment , metal top to metal top . the one thing i like about iso pucks is they have rubber tops and dont scratch and grip the item easily

I just took off some iso pucks off some speakers with veneer , they have been under these fairly heavy standmounts for 5 years . they came off easily with no damage at all

had a good old read about these lovely stack audio isolation devices . as far as i can see you put them directly under your equipment , metal top to metal top . the one thing i like about iso pucks is they have rubber tops and dont scratch and grip the item easily

I just took off some iso pucks off some speakers with veneer , they have been under these fairly heavy standmounts for 5 years . they came off easily with no damage at all
I have the AUVA EQ’s myself below my amp and CD player also. They also come with pads that you can place between the equipment component and the AUVA EQ’s if you don’t like the metal surface to metal surface concept..

I’ve just bought two first generation Townsend speaker “ podiums “ , which I’m using my shahinians with great sound improvement. I bought them together as a package with little info.
When I bought them one of them had extensions to each leg of the base ( which I’ve removed ) , the other is standard. I’ve only seen one other photo of the stands on the internet , with very little information about them.
Does anyone know what they were designed for , what their weight capacity might be and why they would have the extensions ?
I’m very happy with them , just curious !!
photos here (I hope !)

I’ve just bought two first generation Townsend speaker “ podiums “ , which I’m using my shahinians with great sound improvement. I bought them together as a package with little info.
When I bought them one of them had extensions to each leg of the base ( which I’ve removed ) , the other is standard. I’ve only seen one other photo of the stands on the internet , with very little information about them.
Does anyone know what they were designed for , what their weight capacity might be and why they would have the extensions ?
I’m very happy with them , just curious !!
photos here (I hope !)
Saw them on Ebay
Never seen that adjustable bit before. One off perhaps ?

Yes they are most likely custom built but the bolts “stand proud” of the top which would cause problems if you tried to put a flat platform on top of the adjustable legs

Yes indeed the Auva 50's are excellent, aren't they. Very pleased with mine on Atacama SLX stands supporting Harbeth Super HL5 Plus speakers. My findings were similar in many ways to your own.
After emailing Stack Audio when I bought the Auva 50's feet for the OTA Rupert stands under my OTA Quad 57 speakers & being refunded the 7.5% & postage after their ordering system played up.

Last week I received an unexpected email from Josh at Stack Audio asking if I would like to try the Stack Auva EQ's under a piece of my equipment a couple of emails back & forth it transpires that Josh at Stack liked my previous write up about the Auva 50's & were offering 4 x "B" grade EQ's as a gift.

I decided that my Rogue Atlas Magnum power amplifier would be a suitable case for treatment. The 24kg Atlas Magnum sits on the floor on a pair of 22" square HDF boards separated by 4 rubber bobbin electric motor isolators.
This necessitates it being immediately behind the right hand OTA Quad 57 on its OTA Rupert stand.
The appropriate EQ's were the CSA 2's 16-40kg using 4 or individually 4-10kg each.

The Stack EQ's arrived this morning, it was a matter of a few minutes to place them fore & aft under the flat bottomed Atlas Magnum.

To be honest I was not expecting a vast difference, I played a Virgin box recording of Cat's it was instantly obvious something was happening it was louder on my usual MC7R preamp setting, after turning the volume down,it was not just that the bass deeper, it was cleaner sharper or more precise the lower & upper mid range recording was a little more forward & had better definition with treble to die for, not sharp/harsh or pipe & slippers smooth but clearer & more detailed everything has become more musical. Sound stage deeper & wider even more height information on a Chesky CD test disc. Voices stand out in the mix whether male or female recording after recording exhibited similar characteristics & the EQ's like the Auva 50's appear to improve over a couple of hours as they settle?
I have been very surprised at the difference that the EQ's have made I have said the EQ's were a gift had they not worked I probably would not have posted, however since they have proved remarkable I have,posted about these additions to the system removing/damping vibrations allowing an even cleaner signal to be amplified...

Well written up , there is a huge market for these devices and nice to see an alternative to iso acoustics

Did yours come with pads to protect the metal casing of your equipment ?

Well written up , there is a huge market for these devices and nice to see an alternative to iso acoustics

Did yours come with pads to protect the metal casing of your equipment ?
Yes pads in box but as suggested not used even though a little slippery..

I switched the system on today it sounded dire, then I realised that there was no sound from the right OTA Quad 57, when I looked, the positive speaker lead 4mm banana plug had snapped off, probably happened when I moved the speaker to straighten up the valves on the switched off Atlas Magnum power amp accidentally moved fitting the Auva EQ's during yesterday's session. Thankfully the broken bits came out of the socket in two pieces with needle nose pliers

Once back in action if anything the sound was even more musical, it was apparent that resolving the minisual vibrations affecting the Atlas Magnum, either by being 12" behind a speaker or via the floor which is over a concrete void the previous owners had added extra joists screwed to the concrete through plywood spacers, then covered with 3/4" flooring chipboard, HQ underlay laminate flooring, were being attenuated by a lossy element &/or converted into heat according to the description in Stack literature of the Auva 50's & EQ 2 level function in removing vibrations.

After fitting the Auva EQ's fine detail is more apparent when listening to a Darbar Festival Virgin box recording of an Indian Santoor performance (like a Dulcimer/Zither played with shaped curved sticks held between 2 fingers seemingly more flexible than the mallets used with a Dulcimer) I have had the recording for quite a while I realised I could now hear not just the strings vibrate when struck but also the faint sound of the Mezrab (sticks/mallets) hitting the strings. I played Walk on the Wild side the opening bass notes, double tracked, double bass & bass guitar played by Herbie Flowers were the best yet, deep and detailed, the little guitar notes in the background in places also cleaner...

The coloured girls Dari Lalou, Karen Friedman, and Casey Synge collectively Thunderthighs now fill the soundstage.

Yesterday I hit information overload & had to just listen to The Mikado to level/chill out, what is next for me is open to suggestion.

Last edited:
I switched the system on today it sounded dire, then I realised that there was no sound from the right OTA Quad 57, when I looked, the positive speaker lead 4mm banana plug had snapped off, probably happened when I moved the speaker to straighten up the valves on the switched off Atlas Magnum power amp accidentally moved fitting the Auva EQ's during yesterday's session. Thankfully the broken bits came out of the socket in two pieces with needle nose pliers

Once back in action if anything the sound was even more musical, it was apparent that resolving the minisual vibrations affecting the Atlas Magnum, either by being 12" behind a speaker or via the floor which is over a concrete void the previous owners had added extra joists screwed to the concrete through plywood spacers, then covered with 3/4" flooring chipboard, HQ underlay laminate flooring, were being attenuated by a lossy element &/or converted into heat according to the description in Stack literature of the Auva 50's & EQ 2 level function in removing vibrations.

After fitting the Auva EQ's fine detail is more apparent when listening to a Darbar Festival Virgin box recording of an Indian Santoor performance (like a Dulcimer/Zither played with shaped bent sticks held between 2 fingers seemingly more flexible than the mallets used with a Dulcimer) I have had the recording for quite a while I realised I could now hear not just the strings vibrate when struck but also the faint sound of the Mezrab (sticks/mallets) hitting the strings. I played Walk on the Wild side the opening bass notes, double tracked, double bass & bass guitar played by Herbie Flowers were the best yet, deep and detailed, the little guitar notes in the background in places also cleaner...

The coloured girls Dari Lalou, Karen Friedman, and Casey Synge collectively Thunderthighs now fill the soundstage.

Yesterday I hit information overload & had to just listen to The Mikado to level/chill out, what is next for me is open to suggestion.
Thanks for the review! I was planning to supplement my AUVA 50's with some EQs for my amp. I can feel it vibrating with the music in my new listening room. It's solid state, so in theory, it should be less susceptible to microphonic vibrations, but I'd like to try anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review! I was planning to supplement my AUVA 50's with some EQs for my amp. I can feel it vibrating with the music in my new listening room. It's solid state, so in theory, or should be less susceptible to microphonic vibrations, but I'd like to try anyway.
Added a set of AUVA EQ’s below my Roksan Caspian M2 amplifier a couple of months later or so ago. I certainly noticed an all round improvement in sound quality presentation. The difference was instantly more noticeable on the amp than on the Caspian M2 CD player, which also benefitted to a lesser extent. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the review! I was planning to supplement my AUVA 50's with some EQs for my amp. I can feel it vibrating with the music in my new listening room. It's solid state, so in theory, it should be less susceptible to microphonic vibrations, but I'd like to try anyway.

Added a set of AUVA EQ’s below my Roksan Caspian M2 amplifier a couple of months later or so ago. I certainly noticed an all round improvement in sound quality presentation. The difference was instantly more noticeable on the amp than on the Caspian M2 CD player, which also benefitted to a lesser extent. Hope that helps.
The logical direction for me to try, one that I have been cogitating the last few days, is to put Auva EQ's under the Ming da MC7R preamp.

Yesterday I put the multilayer Addis disc pads that were under the 24kg Rogue Atlas Magnum power amp under the 11kg Ming da MC7R preamp providing a moderate improvement across all areas.

My experience of using of Auva EQ's is that there should be an exponentially bigger improvement using the EQ's so when funds permit.

I have the AUVA EQ’s myself below my amp and CD player also. They also come with pads that you can place between the equipment component and the AUVA EQ’s if you don’t like the metal surface to metal surface concept..
Seems to me if you use the pads, you impede the vibrations from the equipment to the device. Makes no sense to me!

Seems to me if you use the pads, you impede the vibrations from the equipment to the device. Makes no sense to me!
John I emphatically agree that is why I did not use them. Stack Audio satate in their literature pad use is less than optimum.

I have 2 x 2m optical cables, one from the Sony TV to the Caiman SEG 50 DAC & one from the Virgin box to the Caiman SEG 50 DAC. There is a push button selector switch for 2 x optical 1 x coaxial cable 1 x USB B. I was watching a Virgin box recording of the Allegri Miserere sung by The Sixteen though I counted 20 of them.

When I bought the Beresford Caiman DAC and once it run in & had the clock & super-capacitor modifications by Stan Beresford. I removed the circuit board mounted phono sockets & wired in a pair of quality chassis mount phono sockets with 7n copper wire.
At that time I had set each of the input Sound Signature Mode's (filters?) on the Caiman DAC to the then best sounding setting.
I have always listened to the Virgin box to DAC, thinking it to be the more accurate, today I pressed the selector switch moving from Virgin box optical to TV optical to DAC, as the 16 came to the famous "top C" in the work I heard a step up in the quality of the sound of the high "C" singer reverberating in what looks like a large unused church.

Quite what has happened to improve the sound I do not know I can see that a slight out of phase/lip sync problem Virgin box to TV has been resolved & that the TV speaker sound & system speaker sound are now in sync, it is as if the Virgin box sound output goes to the TV & returns late via the HDMI lead to the Virgin box optical sound output, the optical from the TV appears to be the more accurate ie a shorter route? though not knowing the circuitry quite the opposite could be correct.

Before the arrival of the Auva 50's & Auva EQ's the differences' in sound twixt the 2 settings was not discernible.
I look forward to the arrival of 4 more Auva EQ's No1's this time as the MC7R is half the weight of the Atlas Magnum power amp.

over the years i have years many many isolation devices ranging from our very own sonoritys wonder stuff which were superb ...but the kit on top tends to slide about which can be a problem . stillpoints too similar . black ravioli good , townshend excellent , spring types had acrylic tops , now i really like iso acoustics which have rubber tops which grip , dont damage the kit and do make a difference , especially to speakers

advertisement

Back