advertisement

Is dynaudio confidence 20 worth their price???

I have listened to various focal, PMC, atc active and passive, sonus Faber, yamaha b&w (including their snails and daleks) and other brands I cannot recall. These were always in a different environment and with different electronics and sources so I would hesitate to compare, IMO the room has a big effect on the sound.

I had MA 20se for about 20 years prior to my dynaudios. Should have changed these sooner, but I can only say that now and in hindsight.

I see your are looking to buy second hand, so assuming you can get a good price then it is possible that you would lose little or no money if you decide to sell on, though some brands may take much longer to sell than others. It is a risk and something I have done in the past and probably would again. E.g. a pair of c20 has been on eBay for months at £6,600 having dropped from £6,750 if memory serves. IMO too high a price but I suspect at 5 or 5.5k they would have gone a while ago.

I have listened to various focal, PMC, atc active and passive, sonus Faber, yamaha b&w (including their snails and daleks) and other brands I cannot recall. These were always in a different environment and with different electronics and sources so I would hesitate to compare, IMO the room has a big effect on the sound.

I had MA 20se for about 20 years prior to my dynaudios. Should have changed these sooner, but I can only say that now and in hindsight.

I see your are looking to buy second hand, so assuming you can get a good price then it is possible that you would lose little or no money if you decide to sell on, though some brands may take much longer to sell than others. It is a risk and something I have done in the past and probably would again. E.g. a pair of c20 has been on eBay for months at £6,600 having dropped from £6,750 if memory serves. IMO too high a price but I suspect at 5 or 5.5k they would have gone a while ago.
I have never seen confidence 20 for less than £6000

I called and made a cheeky offer when I purchased mine. We agreed well below the asking price. They got delivered in a large wooden coffin-like box.

I am currently testing these (C20) in my room.
Tell us what is your experience with these speakers after two months of use?
I already have my opinion which I will share gladly if anyone is interested.

I currently use Accuphase as power amp (P-500L), C-2450 as a pre-amp AND B&W 802D3.
My room is treated and it is about 4,8m x 4,5m.

I currently use Accuphase as power amp (P-500L), C-2450 as a pre-amp AND B&W 802D3.
always good to hear experiences lovely pre power you have there

How does the B&W 802D3 compare to the Dynaudio Confidence 20? I'm interested to know about the treble performance of the C20 if it's detailed and extended enough. I would expect the midrange and bass to be excellent with good tonality (Harbeth or Graham levels). I'm just concerned the C20s may sound too warm at the top.

Are the Confidence 20s replacing the 802D3?

Any experiences with the C20s in smaller rooms say 3.2m x 6m? Last question, the Confidence 20 is technically superior to the Heritage Specials and sound better isn't it?

There is a new version called the Confidence 20a that’s just been announced. It appears to be active with DSP which may or may not be of interest to you but it may be that some used original 20’s will appear on the market (or the originals become more sought after)! Just click on pic to view the txt, no other info as yet unfortunately .

Here’s also a link to a YouTube review, sums them up from someone who’s lived with a pair!

Last edited:
I have had the chance to hear the Confidence 20 at my dealer many times. If you like the dynaudio sound than I would think you definitely would be happy with them. I also think the earlier C1 still sound absolutely amazing.

There is a new version called the Confidence 20a that’s just been announced. It appears to be active with DSP which may or may not be of interest to you but it may be that some used original 20’s will appear on the market (or the originals become more sought after)! Just click on pic to view the txt, no other info as yet unfortunately .

Here’s also a link to a YouTube review, sums them up from someone who’s lived with a pair!

Thanks. Yes I've watched the YouTube review earlier. The current price of the Confidence 20 is too much for me at the moment but will keep them in my short list. I don't think I've read anything bad about the C20s so I presume they must be up there with the best.

The upcoming active C20s don't interest me as I usually prefer passive speakers without any amps bolted onto them.

I had a pair of Dynaudio Xeo 5 floor standers and one of them developed a fault with the amplifiers - a repeated clicking noise and there were no castanets on the tracks I was listening to. Dynaudio said they weren’t able to source the parts from the company that made the amps for them, so that consigned them to the knacker’s yard after they’d also flummoxed a local repairer.

I’m rather fond of Dynaudio speakers (Xeo2, Xeo30, Contour 1.3SE) and I’m sure they’ve learnt from those early active versions but it left a bad taste in the mouth.

Lovely piano black too.

Oh well.

Hi there. I currently have c20 for 2 yrs now. Some points: Despite bass down firing they need space as they are suited for medium plus rooms 25 sqm etc. 60cm from back wall is nice. The sound is very natural i.e not like most modern in-your-face speakers. Some may find it dull. Easy to drive but you need attention with partnering equipment. I drive them with a lab12 integrated with KT170 tubes that offer plenty of power. They really shine with good recordings. Don’t partner them with mellow or laidback amps if you don’t want the sound to get much darker. That’s all I can say..

Thanks. Yes I've watched the YouTube review earlier. The current price of the Confidence 20 is too much for me at the moment but will keep them in my short list. I don't think I've read anything bad about the C20s so I presume they must be up there with the best.

The upcoming active C20s don't interest me as I usually prefer passive speakers without any amps bolted onto them.
The Dynaudio stand appeared in the Darko review of the Munich show today, the active Confidence C20a are set at €20k, GULP!

The Dynaudio stand appeared in the Darko review of the Munich show today, the active Confidence C20a are set at €20k, GULP!

That's really too much to spend for a pair of bookshelf but the Confidence C20A is different since it's active.

I'm not sure if I want to pay a premium price for a pair of retirement speakers (Confidence 20) since there's now a new kid on the block, the Revival Audio Atalante 3. It's said to be very good and comes with a down-to-earth price. Anyway I need to question my sanity since I don't need any additional speakers at the moment. It's just a perennial urge of trying something new. Damn there's no end to this game (hobby).

advertisement

Back