advertisement

Is dynaudio confidence 20 worth their price???

winiar550

pfm Member
I am looking for some standmounts and wondered about all different options available ,with this option the most expensive.(like over the board).

Would you say guys and girls is this a viable option and worth the extra outlay comparing to the cheaper speakers available?

For reference I have owned quite a few good speakers already ,from focal,kef,monitor audio etc...

I am looking for some standmounts and wondered about all different options available ,with this option the most expensive.(like over the board).

Would you say guys and girls is this a viable option and worth the extra outlay comparing to the cheaper speakers available?

For reference I have owned quite a few good speakers already ,from focal,kef,monitor audio etc...
We are talking about the second hand market and prices only.

I used to own the previous model, the C1. Amazing sound from such a small speaker, and I regret selling them.
I think the Confidence 20’s would be incredible provided the rest of your system is a good match. I don’t think you could go wrong if buying used since smaller stand-mount speakers are easier to resell compared to huge floor standing speakers.

Heard them once and was very impressed. Make sure they come with their original stands and as with anything of this value condition is important!

Are they midrange forward?
Asking as i had some contour 30i tested before and all was good except the mids were way too forward and ruining overall sound balance of these otherwise good speakers...

Which models?
Current Kef models will sound 'darker' than MA speakers, even more than Focals which have very wide directivity.
Older MAs sounded 'bright' and Focals 'harsh' in the treble, but if you've owned them you might have enjoyed some of these characteristics.

Ultimately it's down to personal preference and nothing susbsitutes your own hands-on listening trial.
Ask which speakers will go well with a given amplifier and 10 posters will give 9 different answers...

Which models?
Current Kef models will sound 'darker' than MA speakers, even more than Focals which have very wide directivity.
Older MAs sounded 'bright' and Focals 'harsh' in the treble, but if you've owned them you might have enjoyed some of these characteristics.

Ultimately it's down to personal preference and nothing susbsitutes your own hands-on listening trial.
Ask which speakers will go well with a given amplifier and 10 posters will give 9 different answers...
I am asking opinion of people who had any experience of confidence 20 .
I'll draw a conclusion myself.

I have the confidence 20 with a pair of subs. See my profile for setup info and also some of my speaker history.

These are keepers and likely see me until I'm done with audio. They have scale, detail, image very nicely (height, width and depth) and feel very balanced to me.

They are pretty large and imposing for standmounts, and the cabinets look stunning.

I have the confidence 20 with a pair of subs. See my profile for setup info and also some of my speaker history.

These are keepers and likely see me until I'm done with audio. They have scale, detail, image very nicely (height, width and depth) and feel very balanced to me.

They are pretty large and imposing for standmounts, and the cabinets look stunning.
Thank you for taking time to reply.
I'll search your profile for more info.

Whats your room size by the way?

Would you be able to describe their sound signature?
Is it warm and lush ?
I don't mind a neutral with a little bit warmth on the midrange, but don't like too warm sounding speakers like the dynaudio contour 30i .
If confidence 20 is similar to contour 30i then they're probably not for me....

Hi, I would say they are not warm or lush, but pretty neutral / accurate and very fast. Oddly enough, having the subs seems to create a slightly warmer tone than without - I suspect (or hope?) this is the effect of reducing the stress on the mains and also the overall aural perception with extended lows. I have read one reviewer suggesting the mids are slightly emphasised (I think it was TAS) but not something I have noticed.

I recall auditioning a pair of Wilson Benesch Vectors in the same room - in many ways the sonic signature is not that far apart (from memory), the biggest difference being the WB did not image well - for me that was a biggie so I did not go further with those.

I have no experience of the Contours. I also have Dynaudio Focus and Special 40. The Focus are warm and flabby and I could not live with them as mains. The 40s exaggerate the mids a bit, and the mid-bass is not as tight as the C20 - so comes across as warmer (but still very enjoyable at their price point).

I'm in north Bucks so if you happen to be around you welcome to have a listen.

Hi, I would say they are not warm or lush, but pretty neutral / accurate and very fast. Oddly enough, having the subs seems to create a slightly warmer tone than without - I suspect (or hope?) this is the effect of reducing the stress on the mains and also the overall aural perception with extended lows. I have read one reviewer suggesting the mids are slightly emphasised (I think it was TAS) but not something I have noticed.

I recall auditioning a pair of Wilson Benesch Vectors in the same room - in many ways the sonic signature is not that far apart (from memory), the biggest difference being the WB did not image well - for me that was a biggie so I did not go further with those.

I have no experience of the Contours. I also have Dynaudio Focus and Special 40. The Focus are warm and flabby and I could not live with them as mains. The 40s exaggerate the mids a bit, and the mid-bass is not as tight as the C20 - so comes across as warmer (but still very enjoyable at their price point).

I'm in north Bucks so if you happen to be around you welcome to have a listen.
Thank you rag987
Unfortunately living in West Yorkshire we're too far apart but thanks for your offer of auditioning them.

Wondering if you have auditioned any other speakers at the same time,or anywhere compared with your confidence?
Sopra 1, reference 1, focal electra ?

advertisement

Back