advertisement

ZYX compliance @10Hz or 100Hz

slawekt

pfm Member
Looking for info on Zyx's compliance , is it measured @10Hz or 100Hz , most of Japanese makers seems to give compliance @100Hz , what about Zyx
Regards

Since the recommended VTF for all their models hover around the 2g mark my guess is that the compliance (15 for most models) is stated at 10Hz.

Thanks for that , I enquired at few places selling Zyx but no one knows , still waiting for distributors reply .

Think of the Denon DL-304. It has a compliance of 14 at 100Hz and a recommended VTF of 1.2g. Higher compliance means lower VTF just like most MM's when compared to MC's.

The 304's compliance at 10Hz is around 24cu. Most of the ZYX carts have recommended VTF above 2g.

Think of the Denon DL-304. It has a compliance of 14 at 100Hz and a recommended VTF of 1.2g. Higher compliance means lower VTF just like most MM's when compared to MC's.

The 304's compliance at 10Hz is around 24cu. Most of the ZYX carts have recommended VTF above 2g.
Makes sense , cheers

Looking for info on Zyx's compliance , is it measured @10Hz or 100Hz , most of Japanese makers seems to give compliance @100Hz , what about Zyx
Regards

The new ZYX R50 "Bloom" 3 is as follows:

EQ Compliance horizontal - 15×10-6cm/dyne
EQ Compliance vertical - 12×10-6cm/dyne

Recommended tonearm effective mass 12grams minimum/20grams maximum

With the TB or SB headshell added it will be:

+TB - recommended tonearm effective mass 9.5grams minimum/17.5grams maximum
+SB - recommended tonearm effective mass 7grams minimum/16.5grams maximum.

Therefore a tonearm with a medium effective mass is recommended for all of the above.

The spec for my 4D is horizontal 15x10cm/dyne and vertical 12x10cm/dyne.

They prefer high mass tonearms,

High effective mass tonearms are normally over 25 grams which is too high for a ZYX 4D cartridge especially if it has an SB2 headshell fitted. A medium mass tonearm would be the best choice. One with an effective mass between 9grams minimum and 18grams maximum. That is assuming an SB2 headshell is fitted.

The new ZYX R50 "Bloom" 3 is as follows:

EQ Compliance horizontal - 15×10-6cm/dyne
EQ Compliance vertical - 12×10-6cm/dyne

Recommended tonearm effective mass 12grams minimum/20grams maximum

With the TB or SB headshell added it will be:

+TB - recommended tonearm effective mass 9.5grams minimum/17.5grams maximum
+SB - recommended tonearm effective mass 7grams minimum/16.5grams maximum.

Therefore a tonearm with a medium effective mass is recommended for all of the above.

Hi Graham
thank you for an email and all info
do you have SB headshell in stock , I just ordered Zyx R50 from Analogue Seduction but they do not seem to stock SB headshells.Any chance for some drawing to check if it fits Clearaudio headshell
Regards
Slav

High effective mass tonearms are normally over 25 grams which is too high for a ZYX 4D cartridge especially if it has an SB2 headshell fitted. A medium mass tonearm would be the best choice. One with an effective mass between 9grams minimum and 18grams maximum. That is assuming an SB2 headshell is fitted.

I'd previously considered low mass arms to be those up to 9g and medium mass 10g to around 14g. However, prompted by your post above, I see that medium mass tonearms fall into a much wider range of around 10g to 25g, with high anything over this (Dynavectors come into this category, I think).

Ergo, it seems that most moving coils (with the possible exception of some VdH) are theoretically compatible with most medium mass arms, which surprises me.

Are there that many low mass arms available nowadays for high compliance moving magnets? I suppose med. mass arms at the lower end (SME 4 & 5 @ 11g, e.g.) might bridge the gap, but this is guesswork on my part.

My Lyras were happy in a Five and so were two Koetsus, though the 14 ish g of my PU7 suits better, as does my slightly heavier (16g?) Ace Anna. The transfiguration is happy at this 15g mark, so maybe there's quite a lot of compatibility flexibility here. Despite being non-technical, one needs to know these things if playing around with high level cart's.

advertisement

Back