advertisement

ZYX cartridges Carbon Cantilever vs Boron

Pkay

pfm Member
I had a ZYX Airy cartridge (Boron cantilever) in my system for a few days and to say I was impressed is an understatement. Even with a retip and less than 10 hours I was sold (even with the retip failing) on getting one. Unfortunately the new cantilevers are carbon (not sure if this is cost driven) and I don't know if they are as good.

Any feedback from people who have heard both would be greatly appreciated.

I never have gone any higher with Zyx than 100 , I really rated old R100 but new Ultimate lasted no more than 50-100 hours before I sold it. Different turntables and phono stages though also I’ve had something like 3-4 other more expensive cartridges at the time so possibly I didn’t give Ultimate enough time to settle and show its strengths, solid performance but not as enjoyable as old 100 in my setup

I never have gone any higher with Zyx than 100 , I really rated old R100 but new Ultimate lasted no more than 50-100 hours before I sold it. Different turntables and phono stages though also I’ve had something like 3-4 other more expensive cartridges at the time so possibly I didn’t give Ultimate enough time to settle and show its strengths, solid performance but not as enjoyable as old 100 in my setup
50-100 hrs seems like a very reasonable amount of time. I know another person who only kept the carbon cart for a very short time (probably too short). He found another NOS Boron cart.

The carbon fibre cantilevers are not new. They have been around for about 5 years or more. They are used on all the models above the R50 Bloom 3 and are excellent, but you have to run the cartridges that use them using a slightly lower tracking force. Once you do this they absolutely come alive.

You also need to make sure the cartridge mass and the tonearm mass is matched so it will track within the 8Hz to 12Hz range. ZYX cartridges are quite light and can be ordered with additional mass to match your tonearm for best results. This is also vitally important in getting the best from your cartridge tonearm combination. If you can't do the math to calculate this then this is something I do when supplying a new cartridge.

You also need to make sure the cartridge mass and the tonearm mass is matched so it will track within the 8Hz to 12Hz range. ZYX cartridges are quite light and can be ordered with additional mass to match your tonearm for best results. This is also vitally important in getting the best from your cartridge tonearm combination. If you can't do the math to calculate this then this is something I do when supplying a new cartridge.
I ended up picking up a very low hours Premium 4D -X with the silver base. which input on the EAR MC4 do you think is the better technical match for the Tron Convergence MM signature version? 1 to 30 or 1 to 40? My arm is the Audio Origami PU7 with 11g mass.

I think that the transformer in your MC4 is the same as in a 912.
and I used the 6ohm input when playing a ZYX 4D

I ended up picking up a very low hours Premium 4D -X with the silver base. which input on the EAR MC4 do you think is the better technical match for the Tron Convergence MM signature version? 1 to 30 or 1 to 40? My arm is the Audio Origami PU7 with 11g mass.
Do you mean the Ultimate 4D as I don't recall ZYX ever making a Premium 4D?

The most important thing here is the gain, nothing else. I would recommend the 1:30 as you might find the 1:40 provides too much gain.

and I used the 6ohm input when playing a ZYX 4

Do you mean the Ultimate 4D as I don't recall ZYX ever making a Premium 4D?

The most important thing here is the gain, nothing else. I would recommend the 1:30 as you might find the 1:40 provides too much gain.
Thanks Graham

It’s this model

Thanks Graham

It’s this model

It will be an Ultimate 4D with a different name. Most likely made for Warwick by ZYX for the Antipodean market. Its output will be 0.24mV at 3.5mv/cm, so I estimate the 1:30 will be the best transformer ratio to use.

It will be an Ultimate 4D with a different name. Most likely made for Warwick by ZYX for the Antipodean market. Its output will be 0.24mV at 3.5mv/cm, so I estimate the 1:30 will be the best transformer ratio to use.
Thanks Graham,
Set at 1:30 and at 2.1g (boron cantilever) it sounds fantastic. I can’t imagine ever selling the Tron. Combined with the EAR MC4 it sounds fabulous.

and I used the 6ohm input when playing a ZYX 4D
Just tried the 6ohm input and it is a little warmer which is nice. Even with the higher gain the Tron is quiet. My wife didn’t like the 3 ohm setting and found it a little too bright.

Next change has been to reduce the vtf to 1.9 grams which has yielded a lovely sound. More open and warmer. I also reduced the anti skate a bit.

I would be curious to hear what tracking force other owners are using.

Next change has been to reduce the vtf to 1.9 grams which has yielded a lovely sound. More open and warmer. I also reduced the anti skate a bit.

I would be curious to hear what tracking force other owners are using.
Definitely try a lower tracking force than 1.9 grams to get the optimum performance. You may find 1.9 is enough, but I would try going lower...

The carbon fibre cantilevers are not new. They have been around for about 5 years or more. They are used on all the models above the R50 Bloom 3 and are excellent, but you have to run the cartridges that use them using a slightly lower tracking force. Once you do this they absolutely come alive.
I read your comment on tracking force with interest Graham. I bought an Ultimate Exceed 4D last year and have been experimenting with VTF. The cart was set at 1.95gm when installed but recently when I checked it was up to 1.98. I reduced it to 1.9 and there was a nice improvement in SQ.

ZYX still quotes 1.7 - 2.5gm. Where have you found the sweet spot to be?

I read your comment on tracking force with interest Graham. I bought an Ultimate Exceed 4D last year and have been experimenting with VTF. The cart was set at 1.95gm when installed but recently when I checked it was up to 1.98. I reduced it to 1.9 and there was a nice improvement in SQ.

I dropped mine down to 1.8g last night and it’s sounding exceptionally nice. Best cart I have owned.

The sweet spot depends on your tonearm, set up, especially VTA and anti-skate and of course your tracking force gauge (BTW it needs to be a good digital one), but I would start at around 1.95 grams and start going down until performance starts dropping off. Then you can come back to a setting that you found gives you the best overall performance.

I dropped mine down to 1.8g last night and it’s sounding exceptionally nice. Best cart I have owned.
Indeed Peter. ZYX cartridges are very underrated. I used a 4D for about 6 years as my reference cartridge (2008 - 2014), but if you ever get the chance try the Exceed Dynamic. This is a staggeringly good cartridge. Its sonic performance is almost indistinguishable from the Transfiguration Proteus. I know as I have both. Sadly Transfiguration no longer exists. Richard at Time Audio has the Exceed Astro, ZYX's very top model. I'm sure if he sees this post he might comment on it...

Thanks Graham and Pkay, I have some experimenting to do. My arm is a 4Point so a good match for ZYX, Franc Kuzma resold ZYX carts at one point.

advertisement

Back