advertisement

Zu 103

Vinny

pfm Member
Another itch....

Where do people who know the cart' think that these cart's sit? What do they compare favourably to? What popular cart's do they beat?

Ah, the old nail, with some matching, in a fancy aluminium block. My experience of rebodied DL103s (wood, aluminium, nude etc.) is that all do change the sound, generally adding more detail. My favourite was a brass plate where I bonded a 'nude' DL103 to it with Araldite.

The spherical stylus does not eek out the last detail, but is very forgiving.

The DL103 is a cart with balls, which sounds non-offensive whilst having good dynamics & bass. It's the top end & fine separation where you get sins of omission, surely due to the stylus, and partly because of the cheap standard plastic housing. It also has some certain requirements like a medium or heavy arm, or fluid damping, as it is a *very* energetic cart with the ultra-low compliance, so really does need something to sink into.

If you like/have an arm that works with a stock 103, (fairly cheap to test if you don’t know, there are some good discounts and you can move them on here or on eBay fairly easily) then it is probably worth exploring. I don’t know the Zu version, but their grading system, only using motors with much better channel balance sounds a very promising extra to the body mods which have been done by many.

advertisement

Back