advertisement

Zoom Query!

Taff63

pfm Member
I am considering buying a Nikon-fit wide-angle zoom and have seen a Tokina at-x pro 11-16mm F 2.8 on a well-known auction site. The ad is rather vague and doesn't mention the fitting but when I've queried which fitting it is the seller has replied saying it is 'for both Nikon and Canon (aps-c). Is this actually correct - I was under the impression that both Nikon and Canon had different fittings?

It can't possibly fit both. The size of the mounts are different, the bayonets are different and the electrical contacts are different.

In the dim and distant past some third parties made lenses with interchangeable mounts (T mounts?), but that was before all the electronic gubbins came along.

Indeed, the Tokina is available in both mounts, the question is which one this is - it won't fit both. If the ad has a photo, it should help. The contact points on the back are different. Canon lenses have a set of contact points facing the camera, whilst nikon ones point sideways:

Canon:

440px-Canon_EF_lens_mount.jpg

Nikon:

700px-Nikkor_50mm_1.4G_lens_mount.jpg

The registration distance, and the bayonet mount are different (and do they twist a different way to mount? I can't remember).

advertisement

Back