advertisement

ZOMG: Game of Thrones Cancelled

How to write a TV show..

Haha, very true.

I'm actually anticipating season 4, but I too was disappointed with GoT after all the hype.. just Bold&Beautiful with blood and sex. Oh, and they kill sympathetic characters and make you hate the main ones too.

There is an actual story (the dragon queen), which starts kinda slow, but evolves to a pretty good one. The main reason I watched all 3 seasons.

However, talking about series; House MD. It is repetitive and tiresome in few seasons, but as an entirety and in comparison, it is brilliant. The series has a good ending and (slow) amazing main story about friendship, but one can actually just watch an episode here and there without knowing what happened before, and still enjoy it.

You just know that most USA drama programmes will be canned before there is any end in sight. It is just cynical marketing as I suspect they have a pretty good idea of how long it will run.

Loved Season 1 of Game of Thrones.

Got three or four episodes into season 2 and just lost interest.

The Gf has read all the books so she isn't as keen to watch the TV version.

No, X Files was not like Lost. It uncovered a global conspiracy between high-level intra-govermental agencies and colonising agencies. This beats even the Leverson enquiry, and you need to take it more seriously.

Six Feet and the Wire are the best serious tv drama to have come across the Atlantic so far. If you haven't seen them there's no excuse for your whinge. Get the boxed sets and get them watched

Agree 100% about X-Files & Six Feet.
. . . things that happened to Dana Scully during “The X-Files".
https://medium.com/pop-of-culture/807b463a5537

Seems to be a premature April 1st thing....

Started in 2012 I think but I just used it to throw in my two penn'orth...

Anyway, I like Game of thrones.... but, having read all the books too, I am worried about where it is going? I mean by the end of the 7th book we are no closer to any kind of resolution, it could easily go on for another 6 or 7 books, and new characters and plot lines are still arriving.... so if I was making a TV series I'd be very worried about where it was going to end.

And there's the issue of whether George R Martin himself actually knows where its going and if he'll ever get there - he's not a young man and its now 3-4 years since the last installment by book.

I know a couple of people who lost interest fairly quickly... I'll see how it goes, but it does seem to have many of the elements of a soap opera, so might conceivably still be going in 50 years.. like the Archers... :eek:

Mull

I have an attention span of 20 minutes a day. For TV. On a good day. With ads removed.
It's pretty tough going when TV shows are unrelentingly 50 minutes.

I am attempting to watch Disney's Frozen tonight, its a slog for me.

I do but lose track, I fall asleep or I pick up the internets and lose track of the story and get episodes out of sequence and they all blur into a moosh. I was watching Arrow thinking I was watching Agents of SHIELD the other month and it was kinda the same story really.

I have 20 minutes, so gimme twitter sized parcels of entertainment or I quit.

Seems to be a premature April 1st thing....

Anyway, I like Game of thrones.... but, having read all the books too, I am worried about where it is going? I mean by the end of the 7th book we are no closer to any kind of resolution, it could easily go on for another 6 or 7 books, and new characters and plot lines are still arriving.... so if I was making a TV series I'd be very worried about where it was going to end.

And there's the issue of whether George R Martin himself actually knows where its going and if he'll ever get there - he's not a young man and its now 3-4 years since the last installment by book.

The books, especially the latter ones, have always been in need of a good editor and by the time we get to the one that is mainly just blokes sailing about in boats they become something of a slog. And the changes and adaptations for the TV series have been better than the books; something likely to increase as the books get worse.

GRRM does indeed know how it ends and has told the producers of the TV. It seems very likely that the film series will reach a conclusion before the TV leading to a rather peculiar reverse spoiler effect.

Yes, definitely the case that some of the short cuts taken by the TV series have been an improvement over the books.... and a few of the scenes that aren't in the books have been brilliant - e.g. the one with Margery Tyrell fondling Joffrey's crossbow.

And the whole Arya as Tywin's wine/water server thing had some great scenes.

It's basically 'Lord of the Rings' as played by the characters from 'Last of the summer wine' and Wallace from 'Wallace and Grommit.'

Regards

Stephen

After a while you get the rhythm of each episode

Catch up
Juggling boobies
Blunt northerner ranting
More juggling boogie
Posh nuanced speech
Some buttocks (or jiggling boobies)
A crying girl
Some blood
Credits

That's pretty much game of thrones in a nutshell afaict

I gave up, they dragon bits were nicely done but I could see where that is going. That is the doomsday weapon story, plus probably more juggling boobies.

I can't wait for the dragons to be older and grow their own boobies. Now that will be something.

After a while you get the rhythm of each episode

Catch up
Juggling boobies
Blunt northerner ranting
More juggling boogie
Posh nuanced speech
Some buttocks (or jiggling boobies)
A crying girl
Some blood
Credits

I could see where that is going.

So what's not to like? And see where it's going? Unless you've read the books, no chance!

advertisement

Back