advertisement

Zippy Car to share with Younger Driver

What sort of year?

A few I know rate the Swift's. They get thrashed as hire cars around the Ring too
My wife has a 2013 edition in bright Champion Yellow. It's done almost 100,000 miles, and still completely oil-tight. Other than a few sets of tyres, a new battery and a pair of rear shocks, it needed nothing fixed. Just regular service every 10,000 miles.

Quietly between you and me, I prefer the Suzuki for fun driving than my similarly aged BMW 335i Touring.

As I said in a previous thread, the 1.2ltr petrol, turbo Corsa I was given as a courtesy car was great fun compared to my Honda Civic. The turbo kicked in low down in the rev range, so it was more fun to NOT thrash it through the gears.
I struggled to get in and out of it, but I am a fat bas**rd though - and I'm not sure about the build quality. If it were me, I'd be looking at something with a small petrol turbo engine.

Ford KA convertible 1.6 drive like a go cart. Just check around the petrol cap for rust.
Yes, all Kas start rotting there. My mum had one, 2004 ish, bought new on a dirt cheap deal. In less than 10 years it was rotten there and repaired, 2 years later it returned and the rest of it was starting to dissolve so it went. They do for quickly, I think that rustproofing must be poor.

KA have that reputation. But we have 2010 1.2 Petrol version being driven by one of the daughters. Have had it for years and it is still going strong and no sign of rust!

Actually - I rather enjoy driving it when I get the chance. Bit like the old minis - a wheel at each far corner for flinging around bends and as for parking! So easy with such a small thing! No power and not nippy - certainly need to row the gears to keep good progress!

Driver/Passenger room OK. Boot space rubbish and rear passengers not so good either. With only 4 seats, is also cheap to insure though.

My sons little 1.0 litre Turbo Fiesta (which has something like 125 or 130hp) reminds me of the 205GTi I had many years ago and is good fun to drive. Being a Ford there have been some reliability problems - it's already on it's 2nd gearbox and might need a 3rd soon.

KA have that reputation. But we have 2010 1.2 Petrol version being driven by one of the daughters. Have had it for years and it is still going strong and no sign of rust!
That's because you have a Mk 2 Ka, and it has zero relationship to the original. The Mk 1 was already an old design when it launched (it’s based on the Mk 3 Fiesta, a model that debuted in 1989), and so lacked the level of rustproofing that you'd expect from a 1996 car. Against that, it was as light as a 1989 car too (about 900kg), so it was quick even with low output engines.

The second-generation Ka (2008-2016) that you have is based on the FIAT 500, and was developed and built for Ford as a “white label” project by FIAT in Tychy, Poland. Despite the Ford “Duratec” and “Duratorq” branding, the engines used are the FIAT 1.2 FIRE petrol and 1.3 MultiJet diesel: the only mechanical difference between a 500 and Ka is that the Ford had a modified rear suspension, but this change was later merged into the 500.

The 2016 onwards Ka+ was a real step backwards. Ford gave up on the idea of small cars being interesting, and adopted a more American attitude that small cars were only for people too poor to buy something bigger: like the Nissan Micra Mk 3 (from 2010), it was a model designed for emerging markets, drafted in to Europe to sell on price alone.

Actually - I rather enjoy driving it when I get the chance. Bit like the old minis - a wheel at each far corner for flinging around bends and as for parking! So easy with such a small thing! No power and not nippy - certainly need to row the gears to keep good progress!
Try one of the Abarth 500s - it's the same fun to fling around, but with up to 180 bhp driving the wheels. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but in a car that small, it’s insane.

We've come to that stage in life where our eldest lad is about to get his license...

I don't work much anymore or need to lug three kids around so my big estate will be getting sold off and my wife's car with be our main car.

So looking at option for a wee car for me to buy and put our lad being on the insurance for his first year or two (then it would be my daughters turn).

It seems to be a bit of a lottery as to how insurers rates this type of car in each situation (depends on their previous years stats on any particular car model). I'm wondering if there's older cars that may actually be worth looking at ...as in 15+ years old...as I don't mind working on cars myself etc. Lighter cars with smaller 1.0 - 1.2 litre engines that can still be zippy. Lots of fun can be had ringing out a wee engine on our roads.

Although, maybe I just buy a 5 year old Fiesta with the least powerful engine!
I bought a 2002 MR2 for mine because it has classic car status (apparently) and costs peanuts for new drivers compared to other stuff. You're looking at about 600 a year for an 18 year old wiht his /her own policy. Or it was for us.

Reactions: sjs
I bought a 2002 MR2 for mine because it has classic car status (apparently) and costs peanuts for new drivers compared to other stuff. You're looking at about 600 a year for an 18 year old wiht his /her own policy. Or it was for us.

That's the sort of left field thing I was wondering about. I was actually looking at them in 2019 as a track day 'beater' when good ones cost sub £2k and then they went up in value in but I'd say they are going to soften now...

I wonder what early MX5's are like too...

That's the sort of left field thing I was wondering about. I was actually looking at them in 2019 as a track day 'beater' when good ones cost sub £2k and then they went up in value in but I'd say they are going to soften now...
Right, I think 3k gets you a really good 5 speed one, though. Mine was £900 last year with 42k on the clock, needing a resrpray due to lacquer peel. The more you dig, though, the more you want a 6 speeder. And I think 4k is more realistic there for a good one.

There must be one or two other 'classics' around, interesting cars that are completely ignored by the scrotes.

If your firstborn is anything like I was as a callow youth Andy - I'd be buying him something with as many modern safety features as possible. And slow. :)

(Nice to be able to go to sleep when it's late and they're still not back..)

If your firstborn is anything like I was as a callow youth Andy - I'd be buying him something with as many modern safety features as possible. And slow. :)

Get him a motorbike!

A schoolmate was bought a Steyr Puch Haflinger . Great choice. 650cc, 55mph top speed, cool as hell but dirt cheap insurance and slow enough for him not to be able to easily kill himself. In addition, his dad could use it for local runs, dragging garden and diy waste about, etc.

Had to google that Haflinger. Cool as hell is right :)

I wanted to buy one of these for our lot when they were learning..but was roundly beaten down on all fronts:

hUW0K1Ll.png

Had to google that Haflinger. Cool as hell is right :)

I wanted to buy one of these for our lot when they were learning..but was roundly beaten down on all fronts:

hUW0K1Ll.png
God, that would be hard work. Is the a Series 2/2a or were they into S3 by 1972/73? Either way, thirsty, slow, uncomfortable. F un, maybe, when they work, but ugh.

I wonder what early MX5's are like too...

We have a 2000 Mk3 MR2 which our son is learning to drive in, small, nippy, lightweight and fun.

Right, I think 3k gets you a really good 5 speed one, though. Mine was £900 last year with 42k on the clock, needing a resrpray due to lacquer peel. The more you dig, though, the more you want a 6 speeder. And I think 4k is more realistic there for a good one.

There must be one or two other 'classics' around, interesting cars that are completely ignored by the scrotes.

Ours was gifted from my parents, but I shelled out on a new roof, battery and wipers, which came to about £1250, and could really do with the wheels refurbished and some tlc on the paint, but itnis fun

That's because you have a Mk 2 Ka, and it has zero relationship to the original. The Mk 1 was already an old design when it launched (it’s based on the Mk 3 Fiesta, a model that debuted in 1989), and so lacked the level of rustproofing that you'd expect from a 1996 car. Against that, it was as light as a 1989 car too (about 900kg), so it was quick even with low output engines.

The second-generation Ka (2008-2016) that you have is based on the FIAT 500, and was developed and built for Ford as a “white label” project by FIAT in Tychy, Poland. Despite the Ford “Duratec” and “Duratorq” branding, the engines used are the FIAT 1.2 FIRE petrol and 1.3 MultiJet diesel: the only mechanical difference between a 500 and Ka is that the Ford had a modified rear suspension, but this change was later merged into the 500.

The 2016 onwards Ka+ was a real step backwards. Ford gave up on the idea of small cars being interesting, and adopted a more American attitude that small cars were only for people too poor to buy something bigger: like the Nissan Micra Mk 3 (from 2010), it was a model designed for emerging markets, drafted in to Europe to sell on price alone.

Try one of the Abarth 500s - it's the same fun to fling around, but with up to 180 bhp driving the wheels. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but in a car that small, it’s insane.

I followed an old Abarth a while back.. The noise coming from the exhausts was insane. Not sure what induction noise the driver gets as well....

advertisement

Back