advertisement

Zappa - New Vinyl

SamS

pfm Member
Just received Over-Nite Sensation at the weekend. Absolutely 'sensational' pressing and sonics.
Amazon link below - unfortunately a tad more expensive now than last week.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Over-Nite-Sensation-VINYL-Frank-Zappa/dp/B00CA4S37G/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1372067003&sr=1-2&keywords=zappa+over+nite+sensation

• 180g Vinyl
• Re-Mastered From Original 1973 1/4" Stereo Analog Tape Master
• Re-Mastered By Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering
• Pressed at Pallas in Germany
• Gatefold Jacket

Freak Out! also re-issued but from digital source. I haven't stumped up for it. (yet!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freak-Out-VINYL-Frank-Zappa/dp/B00CA4S3QW/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1372067114&sr=1-2&keywords=zappa+freak+out

• 180g Double Vinyl
• Re-mastered From Digital Transfer by FZ/Bob Stone of the Original 1966 1/4" Analog Stereo Tape Master
• Re-mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering
• Pressed at Pallas in Germany
• Gatefold Jacket

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
apparently the freak out! master tapes were in bad shape and were transferred to a digital format many years ago by FZ. This reissue is from this source.

I've got the Overnight Sensation vinyl. And very good it is too. Rather better than my minty 80s vinyl issue. Nicely pressed and lacking in some of the digital reverb than Frank bestowed upon the later issues.

Hower as garyi says, many of the CD issues are excellent too (I'm very fond of the Burnt Weeny Sandwich reissue).

That one is really good, so to is hot rats which really reminds me of the vinyl.

And sleep dirt without the squawking woman is a really bonus.

I wonder when/if they'll get to ASATLTSADW, as I reckon it might just be the worst sounding of FZ's catalogue, and I'd love to hear the title track mixed properly....

Yes, for sure, valley girl almost fits his rather over use of the reverb, but there is some good tacks on there worth a revisit.

However hot rats, sleep dirt on vinyl were always far superior to his Cd masters, but as far as I recall Ship arriving to late was crap on vinyl too.

I had to take my copy of "Overnite Sensation" back as it was completely knackered. Severe scuffing and a big gouge across one side caused much WTF etc. "Concorde Music" in Perth replaced it without any hassle 'though, so apart from the 50 mile round trip...:)
PS the "Finer Moments" double LP is excellent too.
Kendo

advertisement

Back