advertisement

Zac Goldsmith? Please No!

merlin

Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.
Surely Cameron and his cronies are taking the proverbial.

23% of Londoners live in poverty and they nominate an aristocratic banker for mayor of the City.

Red Ken did more for London than anyone in living memory. Please London, see sense and kick this over privileged banker into touch.

Why assume that the one in four living in the capitol in poverty would be unlikely to vote Joe?

Why assume that the one in four living in the capitol in poverty would be unlikely to vote Joe?

I didn't say they were 'unlikely to vote', I said (or implied) they were 'less likely to vote'. Because a) many of them will not even be registered to vote and b) because they certainly didn't vote in large enough numbers to keep Boris Johnson out in the last two elections.

We are talking about 25% of the population Joe - not vagabonds living under bridges or by railway lines.

Over the past five years (under Dave and Boris's watch), working age poverty, in work poverty, unemployment, benefit claimants and the proportion of voters classified as "low paid" have all increased.

That, IMHO, surely has an impact on the voting demographic?

We are talking about 25% of the population Joe - not vagabonds living under bridges or by railway lines.

Over the past five years (under Dave and Boris's watch), working age poverty, in work poverty, unemployment, benefit claimants and the proportion of voters classified as "low paid" have all increased.

That, IMHO, surely has an impact on the voting demographic?

It does. The IPPR found that those who are in the lowest income are less likely to vote.

http://www.ippr.org/files/images/media/files/publication/2013/11/divided-democracy_Nov2013_11420.pdf
(Page 12)

Income - Likelihood to Vote

Under £10,000 - 58.94%
£10,000–£19,999 - 69.59%
£20,000–£29,999 - 60.93%
£30,000–£39,000 - 70.46%
£40,000 - 75.20%

Posh background or not Zac Goldsmith seems a decent bloke, which is an exceptionally rare trait in his party. His views on political accountability and deselection along with a willingness to face up to the suggestion of institutional pedophilia in his party's past has set him far apart from his slimy evasive peers IMO. I'd obviously prefer to see a non-Tory Mayor of That London, but if that is what is elected I can't think of a better Tory to do it.

Was I having a nightmare, or did I hear somebody saying something flattering about Ken Livingstone?

No. It must have just been a nasty nightmare.

"He's a lovely man that Ken Livingstone is....

But I get a funny feeling in me lower down when that lovely young man speaks"

Sir Les Dawson

Simply put, many blame the current struggles on the greed of the over privileged banking community.

Who better to select to represent the people than an over privileged member of the banking community? Genius.

I'd like to see the Royal Family take on the role. At least they wouldn't have their fingers in the till.

Who better to select to represent the people than an over privileged member of the banking community? Genius.

It's not like he's going to be the only choice. If Londoners don't like him they'll vote for one of the other candidates that they think better represent them. It's how democracy works.

Anyway, I would have thought that you would welcome the Conservatives putting up someone less likely to become mayor?

An interesting election given the left vote will no doubt be split between the somewhat nondescript Sadiq Khan and self-aggrandising TV irritant George Galloway. Looks like it may be a slam dunk for Zac...

I think we should have Jerry Sadowitz as London Mayor. Imagine the regular question time meets like Boris has, but him instead. Top hat as well.

Sadiq Khan is so neu Labour with no chance given the winds of change.

Drones aren't going to cut it is how I see it

advertisement

Back