advertisement

Z foil resistors: convince me!

a.palfreyman

pfm Member
I see some are using z-foil resistors for the main feedback resistor and something like rc55 or rn60 from transistor base to the fb cap. I see the general description is better texture, which I assume comes from improved clarity. Not cheap though as a pair of z-foils from HFC are about £33 :eek: but a bit cheaper than RS etc, so convince me please...

I see some are using z-foil resistors for the main feedback resistor and something like rc55 or rn60 from transistor base to the fb cap. I see the general description is better texture, which I assume comes from improved clarity. Not cheap though as a pair of z-foils from HFC are about £33 :eek: but a bit cheaper than RS etc, so convince me please...
If your ears don't convince you, I certainly can't. I bought quite a few. In view of the cost, I used these for the most important positions in my home designed toggle switched passive preamp (with active buffer stage). Best sounding resistors going.

There’s something else going on besides clarity.

They are superb at low level detail retrieval and you get to hear all sorts of what wasn't there previously on musical material you thought you knew intimately. But more importantly they allow the music to ‘flow’.

I believe I can hear differences between cables, caps, transformers, resistors in speaker crossovers, topology changes etc. but I've never been able to tell any/much difference between signal level resistors.

Thanks @laverda but unfortunately don audio only do them in tens (£££) and partsconnexion are similar basic price so suspect with postage from North America will be dearer.

Go direct, no minimum order and if you ask Maricella @ tx components nicely she'll offer you the cheap courier option. I probably buy 10 parts from them six times a year, never lost a set in the post yet.

I believe I can hear differences between cables, caps, transformers, resistors in speaker crossovers, topology changes etc. but I've never been able to tell any/much difference between signal level resistors.
Could be that your system is masking differences. Remove masking, and improvements may sound worse in a system that is crying out for upgrades.

i have them in my paradise phono stage that sq225917 built,i also bought some for the loading resistors imo worth the extra dosh.

I've just put an order in for a pair of 15K for my SE200. They claim a noise figure of ten times less than the fishy/dales I am using at the moment so let's see if that turns into a noticeable sonic difference. Lavereda reckons they do. The ones I ordered were from mouser @ 32 AUD each (about £19)

As an aside I wonder if anyone has tried in a NCC300? Have just ordered parts for a build here but didn't think about foil for that one.

Thanks guys. I had a look at the Texas link above and assume you have to put a request in to get a price? Is this notably cheaper than HFC?
(I'm a t1ght-ar5e at heart, and the 'chief accountant' can ask awkward questions....)
Edit: @sq225917 can I ask what you paid postage-wise on your last order please? I found a direct link to the resistor in question, $12.5 each so about the same as HFC. Just trying to judge if Texas will be any cheaper. Suspect not TBH. (Have 2 in my basket at HFC...just need to hit 'buy'...:D)

Last edited:
It's usually about a tenner for the cheap USPS postage, makes a difference as I'm usually buying 12 parts, 8 of which are custom value, not off the shelf.

Thanks @sq225917 so not a lot in it then.
Thanks for that @S-Man a very interesting read. I see @davidsrsb and @awkwardbydesign also contributed.
I'm beginning to wonder if it is very low ppm tempco that matters here, in that the resistor changes value by a lower amount during big LF transients. Very tempted to try some low ppm resistors in //. Three 80k6 // will give me 26k9 for <£.

advertisement

Back