advertisement

Your worst HiFi/Audio purchases ever...?

The aerial I bought for my Naim Nat 01 Tuner. Balanced behind the stereo it dropped down and shorted the output sockets of my brand new Exposure amplifier destroying its output stages.

Surely that's in the slightly different category of "most significant user error" rather than the thing itself actually being bad though....

Thinking back, I'd have to say the NVA A80 monoblocks and P50SA I bought in the late 2000s. Quality control (possibly predictably at what was then a one-man band) was poor, one of the monos didn't work at all as delivered, and at the time NVA sold a "soundpipe" interconnect that ended up, by virtue of its stupid design, supporting weight on the solder joints, breaking the negative connection and blowing my tweeters more than once. And the whole passive pre thing (which I was new to) suffered from serious RFI, and impedance issues.

When I got that setup going, it had some virtues, which I ranted about on PFM, comparing their material value to a Naim Nait XS. Then I actually bought a Nait XS, and it trounced them.

Surely that's in the slightly different category of "most significant user error" rather than the thing itself actually being bad though....

Thinking back, I'd have to say the NVA A80 monoblocks and P50SA I bought in the late 2000s. Quality control (possibly predictably at what was then a one-man band) was poor, one of the monos didn't work at all as delivered, and at the time NVA sold a "soundpipe" interconnect that ended up, by virtue of its stupid design, supporting weight on the solder joints, breaking the negative connection and blowing my tweeters more than once. And the whole passive pre thing (which I was new to) suffered from serious RFI, and impedance issues.

When I got that setup going, it had some virtues, which I ranted about on PFM, comparing their material value to a Naim Nait XS. Then I actually bought a Nait XS, and it trounced them.

Yes Tim, and maybe I should start a discussion of user errors - I'm an expert. I guess I could shift the story of that disaster to buying Mitchell banana plugs, popular in the 80s which gave the aerial the perfect contact points at the back of my lovely Exposure amplifier (bought incidentally in a great little audio shop in Brighton Monpelier district)

Last edited:
I regretted buying a LeJonklou Kikkin phono stage. Bought on 30-day return offer. It was nothing special at all. Vin ordinaire. Asked to return amp on 31 days as wife had given birth the week before and as many of you will know that can drop a spanner in just about any proceedings. LeJonklou flatly refused return/refund. Within his rights perhaps, but unhelpful and made sure he never got any good will from me. I've always tried to be friendly and helpful in business, not just because it's good for business, but more importantly because we're human. Some of us.

The name was true. I had had a right Kikkin.

Bought s/hand Krell CD player & integrated amp many, many years back.
Not the worst purchase ever, and sounded pretty good with certain music, but once I heard a NAIM system there was no going back. I think they call it PRaT, certainly does it for me.

Again not worst thing I ever bought but fell for the hype and bought a Marantz cd 6006 ukse.
Never got on with it, old Rega Apollo bettered in every sense.
Gave it time to burn in as they say but felt it thin flat and lifeless

Mine was a early pair of Kef Ref model 3.2 (I think?) Hated them. It was probably because they didn't like my room very much, but they were so bright and forward it put me on edge. I could only listen to 'warm' analogue music just so they balanced out a bit, which resulted in me just listening to less and less over the course of a few months. Amazing soundstage, though.

I've since listened to the latest Kef Refs, which I'm happy to report were fantastic, so my experience didn't completely turn me off Kefs!

Mine was a early pair of Kef Ref model 3.2 (I think?) Hated them. It was probably because they didn't like my room very much, but they were so bright and forward it put me on edge. I could only listen to 'warm' analogue music just so they balanced out a bit, which resulted in me just listening to less and less over the course of a few months. Amazing soundstage, though.

I've since listened to the latest Kef Refs, which I'm happy to report were fantastic, so my experience didn't completely turn me off Kefs!
There are some great Kefs around.

I bought a Garrard SP25 Mk5 in the early 80s (New old stock). With the wooden plinth, suspended sub-chassis and belt drive I thought it might be a budget LP12 but it was dire. It picked up Radio Moscow on one channel and made occasional loud farting noises for no reason. At least it was cheap.
Another piece of junk was a Toshiba ST445 tuner, it was an early digital model with loads of noise from the digital circuits, low sensitivity and grotty sound.

Sonneteer Sedley phono stage around 2001 when trying umpteen different stages over time. It sent this loud electronic spike through the speakers that cr4pped the life out of me and sheer amazement my speakers were not damaged. Dealer took it back to check and reported no fault so I tried again, same result. I went to listen to a couple of alternatives at a different dealer and told him about it. He offered to try it and maybe his electrician can take a look. Same spike and holy cr4p moment for him apparently saying he had never seen anything like it. Sedley went back to original dealer who resisted but with me saying I can get an electrician’s report if they want having had it verified elsewhere, reluctant refund received. Shame as they seemed decent enough and enthusiastic and had other good kit, I didn’t feel like exploring it from them though.

Roksan amp off here. A squeaky tw*tbag of an amp that totally belies the quality of the accompanying CD player I already owned. (Kandy for those interested).

Thought the Bluesound NODE 2i was one of my best purchases. Now it might fall into the worst purchase category!

After only 18 months it has developed a fault and cannot be powered on – appears completely dead (suspect internal PS issue).
Tried various “fixes” (from Bluesound website) but nothing has worked. Warranty period is only 12 months so might be £500 down the drain.

I’ve contacted Bluesound Support for their comments/advice. Ho hum...

advertisement

Back