advertisement

Your Tone Arm History @ an arm which aesthetically you would love or have

Can someone explain what audible benefits (or problems) if any a Michell Techno Weight would bring to a Rega RB330?

If there is chatter and instability in the bearings, they might be slightly more stable with a lower mass. However, the lower centre of mass would probably edge the arm away from dynamic balance, making it a little bottom heavy (centre of gravity lower than the pivot). This would make it track the downhill/back side of a warp a little better, but the uphill/front side of a warp slightly more heavily, and overall warp performance should be slightly worse as mass centre moves away from dynamic balance.

If the arm were a slightly top-heavy design like mine, lowering the mass would bring you closer to dynamic balance and better warp performance, which is why I put so much effort into lowering the centre of mass.

This is all theory, and I may have it wrong. The proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: RoA
Thank you. I've ordered one. Clearly a quick A/B is out of question but if there are any obvious negative differences I'll revert back.

Thank you. I've ordered one. Clearly a quick A/B is out of question but if there are any obvious negative differences I'll revert back.

I can't say I heard any audible difference as the two tonearms were years apart, what I would say is the Michell techno weight is really nice to use in practice, alot nicer than the stock weights, the technoweight is a really nicely executed bit of engineering.

Reactions: RoA
I’ve just got the Audiomode Series 5 and it’s an absolute beauty, from both an aesthetic and SQ perspective.

plus the deck is also a stunner .. Acoustic Solid, Solid Wood

Anyone owned a Manticore arm? Magician/Musician? Always wanted one on my Mantra.

For me:
- Dual 505
- Thorens TP something (on 166)
- Rega 250 (Mantra/PT)
- Roksan something (Mantra)
- Akito (LP12 and later on a Clearaudio)
- Ittok - as others say it is a design classic (LP12)
- Well-tempered Record Player arm - a great deck
- Jelco (Avid)
- Nima mk 1 (LP12)
- Crappy Linn starter arm (Lp12)
- Vertere flat arm
- Nima Mk 2 (LP12 - current)

1975 AR T/T
1977 Thorens TD160
1978 Hadcock unipivot
1981 Linn Basik
1983 Ittok LVII
1992 Ittok LVIII
2010 SME 309
2021 Rega RB3000

Previously Owned and Sold:
ADC LMF-1
Clearaudio Concept
Fidelity Research FR64S
Grace G-707
Helius Orion mk2, Cyalene
Jelco SA-50, SA-375h (x2), SA-750d (x2), SA-750L
Lenco L75 (x3)
Linn Majik (Jelco SA-250ST) (x3), Basik+ (x2), Akito 1 (x3), Akito 2B, Ittok LVII (x2), Ekos Mk1
Misson 774LC (Jelco)
Mitchell Technoarm
Moerch UP4
Naim Aro
Nottingham Analogue Spacearm
Ortofon AS-212S (Jelco)
Project Debut Carbon, 9cc (x2)
Rega RB250 (x2), RB300 (x2), RB303, RB330
Revox Linear Tracker
SME IV, V
Technics EPA 101t
Thorens TP13a

Still Own:
Clearaudio/Souther Linear Tracking
Fidelity Research FR64S, FR64fx
Graham Phantom B44
Linn Ekos SE/0, Ittok LVII, Akito 1
Naim Aro
Project 9cc
Townshend Excalibur
Ultracraft AC30

Probably forgot some!

I’d still like to try the Glanz, Groovemaster, Ikeda, Zeta, Alphason, PU7, Mission 774, Hadcock, a few more of the Audiocraft tonearms, some of the historical SME’s and a recent Triplanar at some point.

Over the last 33 years I have owned:
Linn Basik Plus
Roksan Tabriz Zi
Origin Live Silver Taper
Roksan Pug
Airtangent 2B

The last three I've still got, the Airtangent on my 401, the Pug on an original Xerxes and the OL Silver on a NAD 533 that I use for playing 45's.

advertisement

Back